Yale Transfer Thread 2016 (C/O 2018)

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TheGoat18

New

Re: Yale Transfer Thread 2016 (C/O 2018)

Postby TheGoat18 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:39 pm

That sucks. To be fair I could have gotten this in way earlier, but I was waiting on LOR's/Dean's Certifications. I wonder if we really have any shot if they aren't even looking at our apps yet.

Joscellin

Gold

Postby Joscellin » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:50 pm

TheGoat18 wrote:That sucks. To be fair I could have gotten this in way earlier, but I was waiting on LOR's/Dean's Certifications. I wonder if we really have any shot if they aren't even looking at our apps yet.

Yale explicitly states that they do not do a rolling admissions process, and they look at all applications at the same time, so I doubt anything is impacting your chances.

It's almost a week after the deadline though, I'd hope everyone's stuff would at least be in shortly.

TheGoat18

New

Postby TheGoat18 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:09 am

Alright, well Yale requested my CAS and I bought it. I guess nothing to do now but wait.

Joscellin

Gold

Postby Joscellin » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:59 pm

Well, with H sending out decisions today (and maybe tomorrow) and a hard deadline set for next Thursday, that should mean that Yale has to have stuff out by Wednesday at the latest, right?

Longtimecoming19

Bronze

Postby Longtimecoming19 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:51 am

Joscellin wrote:Well, with H sending out decisions today (and maybe tomorrow) and a hard deadline set for next Thursday, that should mean that Yale has to have stuff out by Wednesday at the latest, right?

For all of you who already got into Harvard and are waiting to hear back from Yale: if you don't hear from Yale by Thursday, just commit to Harvard. If you subsequently get into Yale, back out and go to Yale. You'll lose your deposit, but that's it. Don't worry about Harvard getting mad and tattling to Yale. Trust me, Yale does not give a shit. Source: transferred into Yale, had the same dilemma, heard it firsthand from Yale admissions.

Joscellin

Gold

Postby Joscellin » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:18 pm

Longtimecoming19 wrote:
Joscellin wrote:Well, with H sending out decisions today (and maybe tomorrow) and a hard deadline set for next Thursday, that should mean that Yale has to have stuff out by Wednesday at the latest, right?

For all of you who already got into Harvard and are waiting to hear back from Yale: if you don't hear from Yale by Thursday, just commit to Harvard. If you subsequently get into Yale, back out and go to Yale. You'll lose your deposit, but that's it. Don't worry about Harvard getting mad and tattling to Yale. Trust me, Yale does not give a shit. Source: transferred into Yale, had the same dilemma, heard it firsthand from Yale admissions.

Whether Yale cares or not, I'm not sure I like the idea of signing something that says I will commit to withdrawing other apps and then reneging on that.

RareExports

Silver

Postby RareExports » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:26 pm

Joscellin wrote:
Longtimecoming19 wrote:

Whether Yale cares or not, I'm not sure I like the idea of signing something that says I will commit to withdrawing other apps and then reneging on that.

Yeah, that. Your reputation follows you. Ask Harvard for an extension if it comes to that.

Longtimecoming19

Bronze

Postby Longtimecoming19 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:35 pm

Joscellin wrote:
Longtimecoming19 wrote:

That's your choice to make, and I get where you're coming from. Personally, I felt zero compunction about it. Harvard's policy is manipulative by design; by giving you a very narrow window to commit, they are trying to pressure you into committing to them before you hear back from Yale and Stanford. Believe me, this is intentional. They are preying on admits' risk-aversion and fears that, having said no to Harvard, they will be left out cold if Yale and Stanford reject them. I think that's shitty, coercive behavior that doesn't create any moral obligations on your part, and I'd personally encourage you to not reward this sort of thing.

RareExports wrote:
Yeah, that. Your reputation follows you. Ask Harvard for an extension if it comes to that.

Ask away, but given that the entire purpose of having a narrow window to accept is to pressure admits into committing themselves before they are capable of making an informed decision, I think they are quite unlikely to say yes. This is entirely your decision to make, and I respect your impulse—it's noble. That said, Harvard doesn't deserve it, and if you get into Yale and decide that's where you would prefer to go, it would be a shame to have worked so hard your 1L year only to let Harvard manipulatively limit your options. Committing to them creates no moral obligation; they've intentionally created a situation of duress precisely to put this pressure on you. It's scummy behavior, you owe them nothing, and you deserve better than to let them control this decision.

Both of you (as well as everyone else facing this dilemma), please keep this in mind: what Harvard is doing here is unethical. The LSAC Statement of Good Admission and Financial Aid Practices clearly states that a law school should "allow applicants to freely accept a new offer from a law school even though a scholarship has been accepted, a deposit has been paid, or a commitment has been made to another school...." Harvard's behavior is predatory, pure and simple. This issue has been brought to their attention before; they keep doing this because they know that you are in a vulnerable position. There will be no consequences, reputational or otherwise, to refusing to be coerced. Every year, people accept and then decline spots at Harvard. Nothing bad happens to them as a result. The small number of people on this earth who are even aware of this issue at all think that Harvard's policy is scummy. It is morally void; no one will ever think ill of you for not playing along.

LSAC Statement: http://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source ... -resources)/statementofgoodadm.pdf (for some reason the hyperlink won't work, copy and paste the whole thing)
Last edited by Longtimecoming19 on Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

habeas2210

Bronze

Postby habeas2210 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:03 pm

^ What he said.

People break the LOI's all the time. Unless its EA; don't worry about it...

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:24 pm

habeas2210 wrote:^ What he said.

Unless it's ED, don't worry about it. EA is not binding

habeas2210

Bronze

Postby habeas2210 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:26 pm

Nebby wrote:
habeas2210 wrote:^ What he said.

Unless it's ED, don't worry about it. EA is not binding

Woops. Got it mixed up. Thanks, Nebbs.

im_hot_soup

New

Postby im_hot_soup » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:01 pm

Has anyone heard anything yet?

Joscellin

Gold

Postby Joscellin » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:23 pm

Nothing here

oinkyo

New

Postby oinkyo » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:03 am

Sorry for scaring everyone with this thread bump.

Did anyone hear anything? Even via the non-TLS grapevine? I'm in the same boat as some of you--Harvard deadline Thursday, thinking of calling tomorrow if still no word.

lawstudent2018

New

Postby lawstudent2018 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:15 am

Haven't heard anything...

NimChimpsky

Bronze

Postby NimChimpsky » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:25 am

I've not heard anything yet. I'm super jumpy, though, at every email I see come in.

Joscellin

Gold

Postby Joscellin » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:37 am

No news, but making progress on the Harvard housing search, heh.

lawstudent2018

New

Postby lawstudent2018 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:43 am

I feel like they might be a couple days later this year because July 1 fell on a Friday and then they had the long weekend for the July 4th holiday. There have only been 4 business days since they stopped accepting applications. But from past years it looks like admits should be hearing today or tomorrow I would assume...

Joscellin

Gold

Postby Joscellin » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:47 am

lawstudent2018 wrote:I feel like they might be a couple days later this year because July 1 fell on a Friday and then they had the long weekend for the July 4th holiday. There have only been 4 business days since they stopped accepting applications. But from past years it looks like admits should be hearing today or tomorrow I would assume...

It pretty much comes down to when they decide to schedule the meetings. I can't imagine that the process takes more than a couple days once they sit down and do it, so I woudn't expect that the holiday should affect too much, here.

lawstudent2018

New

Postby lawstudent2018 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:50 am

Good point!

Joscellin wrote:
lawstudent2018 wrote:I feel like they might be a couple days later this year because July 1 fell on a Friday and then they had the long weekend for the July 4th holiday. There have only been 4 business days since they stopped accepting applications. But from past years it looks like admits should be hearing today or tomorrow I would assume...

It pretty much comes down to when they decide to schedule the meetings. I can't imagine that the process takes more than a couple days once they sit down and do it, so I woudn't expect that the holiday should affect too much, here.

TheGoat18

New

Postby TheGoat18 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:57 am

Also haven't heard anything. Do they usually send out the news by phone call or email?

Joscellin

Gold

Postby Joscellin » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:59 am

TheGoat18 wrote:Also haven't heard anything. Do they usually send out the news by phone call or email?

Last few years appear to be by email.

oinkyo

New

Postby oinkyo » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:02 pm

Joscellin wrote:
TheGoat18 wrote:Also haven't heard anything. Do they usually send out the news by phone call or email?

2015 by email may have been an anomaly. Most years by phone, and the application instructions (pg.5) say admits will be by phone, dings by email. Who knows, though. Yale is mysterious.

lawstudent2018

New

Postby lawstudent2018 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:03 pm

yeah, I remember reading the same thing, though I assume if they call they will also email

oinkyo wrote:
Joscellin wrote:

2015 by email may have been an anomaly. Most years by phone, and the application instructions (pg.5) say admits will be by phone, dings by email. Who knows, though. Yale is mysterious.

aharown

New

Postby aharown » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:07 pm

The commitment form I got says this:

"I agree to inform all law schools to which I have been offered transfer admission that I decline their offers. Additionally, I will relinquish my place at the law school where I studied 1L year."

Technically, that leaves open not withdrawing your application from schools (Yale, Stanford) that have not yet decided. It only commits to withdrawal from the 1L school and the other waiting and open admits.
Last edited by aharown on Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Transfers?