Transfer acceptance binding?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transfer acceptance binding?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:43 am

So let's say I get into GULC next week. Does their deposit say something like "I hereby commit to GULC and will withdraw all other applications"?

I am wondering whether this is how it works. I don't want to get into GULC and then be forced to accept merely because there is a deadline and by that time I have yet to hear back from other schools.

Anyone comment on this?

Bilka

Bronze

Re: Transfer acceptance binding?

Postby Bilka » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:So let's say I get into GULC next week. Does their deposit say something like "I hereby commit to GULC and will withdraw all other applications"?

I am wondering whether this is how it works. I don't want to get into GULC and then be forced to accept merely because there is a deadline and by that time I have yet to hear back from other schools.

Anyone comment on this?

Not positive on this - but I think transfer deposits work just like entering 1L classes. Not binding, but you may lose the deposit if you don't matriculate.

ladybug1989

Bronze

Postby ladybug1989 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:06 am

You get two choices: (1) Pay a $1200 deposit by a certain date (they gave me 2 weeks) to save a seat or (2) waive the deposit, but promise that you will withdraw from your current school and pending transfer apps.

Mr.F

New

Postby Mr.F » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:17 am

They are not binding. I even signed a "Commitment to Matriculate" letter for Penn and had no issues (besides the lost deposit) breaking it.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:44 am

They aren't binding. Only ED is binding

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:40 pm

So, in theory, I could accept a GULC offer, submit my bidlists for EIW, and then withdraw if I got into NYU, with no problems?

Mr.F

New

Postby Mr.F » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:So, in theory, I could accept a GULC offer, submit my bidlists for EIW, and then withdraw if I got into NYU, with no problems?

Yep. I did the exact same thing with Cornell.

Return to “Transfers�