Northwestern Transfer

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 309335
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Northwestern Transfer

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:45 pm

Chances of getting into northwestern as a transfer? I got to chi-Kent, top 7-8% of the class, strong Chicago ties. Good undergrad GPA and a decent LSAT

User avatar
Joscellin

Gold
Posts: 1514
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:40 am

Re: Northwestern Transfer

Postby Joscellin » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Chances of getting into northwestern as a transfer? I got to chi-Kent, top 7-8% of the class, strong Chicago ties. Good undergrad GPA and a decent LSAT


Dunno odds, check the 509, but I would guess it's worth an app at the very least.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Northwestern Transfer

Postby Nebby » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Chances of getting into northwestern as a transfer? I got to chi-Kent, top 7-8% of the class, strong Chicago ties. Good undergrad GPA and a decent LSAT

Good odds

Bilka

Bronze
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 7:25 pm

Re: Northwestern Transfer

Postby Bilka » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:43 pm

Joscellin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Chances of getting into northwestern as a transfer? I got to chi-Kent, top 7-8% of the class, strong Chicago ties. Good undergrad GPA and a decent LSAT


Dunno odds, check the 509, but I would guess it's worth an app at the very least.



Are the 509s reflective of the home law school GPAs or calculated by the transfer law school in their own system?

User avatar
Joscellin

Gold
Posts: 1514
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:40 am

Re: Northwestern Transfer

Postby Joscellin » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:49 pm

Bilka wrote:
Joscellin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Chances of getting into northwestern as a transfer? I got to chi-Kent, top 7-8% of the class, strong Chicago ties. Good undergrad GPA and a decent LSAT


Dunno odds, check the 509, but I would guess it's worth an app at the very least.



Are the 509s reflective of the home law school GPAs or calculated by the transfer law school in their own system?


Home school, so inflation can make them iffy - more look to reference how many come in from your school.

User avatar
Meow Meowsworth

New
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:53 pm

Re: Northwestern Transfer

Postby Meow Meowsworth » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:26 pm

Nebby wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Chances of getting into northwestern as a transfer? I got to chi-Kent, top 7-8% of the class, strong Chicago ties. Good undergrad GPA and a decent LSAT

Good odds


This. Not a guarantee by any means, but you have a very good chance based on transfers from the last couple years.

reasonableperson

New
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:01 am

Re: Northwestern Transfer

Postby reasonableperson » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:37 pm

You're in. Grats!!!

lowenjo

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:46 pm

Re: Northwestern Transfer

Postby lowenjo » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:35 pm

Probably good odds, based on previous 509's, NW seems to take about half of their transfer class (Total Class size ~30) from Depaul/Kent/Loyola. During the past 5 years, I believe only one JMLS student was admitted as a transfer.

Transfer2016

New
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:20 pm

Re: Northwestern Transfer

Postby Transfer2016 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:11 pm

Any advice on what to expect from the northwestern transfer interview?

qwerty8080880004

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:17 pm

Re: Northwestern Transfer

Postby qwerty8080880004 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:44 pm

.
Last edited by qwerty8080880004 on Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawSoHard04

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:49 am

Re: Northwestern Transfer

Postby LawSoHard04 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:05 am

Additional question(s) for the thread:

How important are softs, interviews and other factors (particularly work experience) when factored into the Northwestern Transfer profile?

northwesternhopeful

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:54 am

Re: Northwestern Transfer

Postby northwesternhopeful » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:57 am

More questions. 1 - Does anyone know if they require class rank before making a decision? My school hasn't issued them yet. 2 - Does anyone else have everything submitted but their status still says "incomplete"? How long does it take this to update once everything has been sent in?

Thank you!

moralsentiments

Bronze
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:11 pm

Re: Northwestern Transfer

Postby moralsentiments » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:28 pm

I did the NU transfer interview. It's a series of pre-recorded questions that you have a certain amount of time to prepare and answer (I got about a minute to answer each question). They allow you to do practice questions before doing the actual interview but the practice questions are not really helpful. In fact, most of the actual interview questions were the type for which you can't really prepare. They will probably ask why NU though. Overall it was tough to know how it went because it's easy to have the time cut you off and hard to prepare. I guess that's the point.

Your file won't go complete until the interview is done. Even if you have all other materials submitted.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by moralsentiments on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309335
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern Transfer

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:16 pm

Application went "complete". Did not get an interview request.

Transfer2016

New
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:20 pm

Re: Northwestern Transfer

Postby Transfer2016 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:48 pm

Interesting. I've done the interview and I think everything else and mine still says incomplete.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309335
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern Transfer

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:01 pm

Yea don't know if that's a good or bad sign.

heregoeseverything

New
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:22 pm

Re: Northwestern Transfer

Postby heregoeseverything » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:10 am

I actually know someone who transferred from Kent to U Chicago, top 10%. I think you probably have a pretty good shot. Good luck!

northwesternhopeful

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:54 am

Re: Northwestern Transfer

Postby northwesternhopeful » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:08 pm

Not sure if anyone still has this issue but thought I'd share just in case. My status still said "incomplete" after the application deadline and I was worried so I called admissions. The woman said they just hadn't processed it yet, but as long as everything was in by the deadline it wasn't a problem. This morning my application finally switched to complete. So if you turned everything in by the deadline you should be good to go!

Anonymous User
Posts: 309335
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern Transfer

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:01 pm

moralsentiments wrote:I did the NU transfer interview. It's a series of pre-recorded questions that you have a certain amount of time to prepare and answer (I got about a minute to answer each question). They allow you to do practice questions before doing the actual interview but the practice questions are not really helpful. In fact, most of the actual interview questions were the type for which you can't really prepare. They will probably ask why NU though. Overall it was tough to know how it went because it's easy to have the time cut you off and hard to prepare. I guess that's the point.

Your file won't go complete until the interview is done. Even if you have all other materials submitted.

Hope this helps.



What were some questions?

moralsentiments

Bronze
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:11 pm

Re: Northwestern Transfer

Postby moralsentiments » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
moralsentiments wrote:I did the NU transfer interview. It's a series of pre-recorded questions that you have a certain amount of time to prepare and answer (I got about a minute to answer each question). They allow you to do practice questions before doing the actual interview but the practice questions are not really helpful. In fact, most of the actual interview questions were the type for which you can't really prepare. They will probably ask why NU though. Overall it was tough to know how it went because it's easy to have the time cut you off and hard to prepare. I guess that's the point.

Your file won't go complete until the interview is done. Even if you have all other materials submitted.

Hope this helps.



What were some questions?


I can't remember them all but I know one was something along the lines of, "What makes a person a good problem solver?" or "Can you be optimistic in the face of failure?" Stuff like that. Really hard to prepare because you're expecting some of the more Chicago-Interview-type questions like "What is your biggest accomplishment" etc. The questions aren't really like that so it's tough. You only get like 30 seconds to think through your answer beforehand also.
Last edited by moralsentiments on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309335
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern Transfer

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:22 am

Interesting, I got my interview request today so I am going to do it in the afternoon tomorrow. We will see how it goes

Irish92

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:40 pm

Re: Northwestern Transfer

Postby Irish92 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:55 pm

Just did interview. Questions were different, like stated above, not your typical questions

Transfer2016

New
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:20 pm

Re: Northwestern Transfer

Postby Transfer2016 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:37 pm

When does NW usually begin releasing acceptances?

excusez-moi

New
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:46 am

Re: Northwestern Transfer

Postby excusez-moi » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:54 pm

My application is still incomplete. Anyone else?

Irish92

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:40 pm

Re: Northwestern Transfer

Postby Irish92 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:23 pm

Mine is incomplete as well. I've seen decisions as early as June 30th. One year it was after the 4th



Return to “Transfers�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.