Top 1/3 at UIUC Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 1/3 at UIUC

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:14 pm

I'm in the top 1/3 at UIUC. Don't have much of a scholarship here (less than 50%), and I'm wondering if it's worth it to send a transfer app to Gtown, and or Michigan/NU (regional bump, if that's a real thing)? Goal is BigLaw , and am hoping that transferring may make that more of a possibility. Thanks everyone.

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Re: Top 1/3 at UIUC

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in the top 1/3 at UIUC. Don't have much of a scholarship here (less than 50%), and I'm wondering if it's worth it to send a transfer app to Gtown, and or Michigan/NU (regional bump, if that's a real thing)? Goal is BigLaw , and am hoping that transferring may make that more of a possibility. Thanks everyone.
For the past few years, top 20% has consistently transferred to NU, so I would definitely throw an app there. Our NU transfers tend to do pretty well. You probably won't have a ton of success negotiating (at least not enough to matter). If you can stomach the app fees, GULC is probably worth a shot, not so sure about Mich.

Also, rankings haven't been released yet, so how do you know where you stand?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:58 pm

Was top 20% last semester and gpa dropped a bit, but not out of the top 1/3 from last semesters cut off. So I'm assuming I'm in the top 1/3.

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Was top 20% last semester and gpa dropped a bit, but not out of the top 1/3 from last semesters cut off. So I'm assuming I'm in the top 1/3.
You may not have fallen in rank at all (or further than top 25%) depending on your GPA dip-cutoffs will probably fall a bit, too. I'd still throw an app at NU and probably GULC. If you don't drop rank at all, I'd throw an app at Mich-someone top 20% last year got into Mich. Otherwise, apply to Mich only if you can afford the app fee.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:48 pm

If the goal is BigLaw, do you think I should stay if I remain in the top 25%? Or are my odds greater if I transfer? I'm also trying to get BigLaw in Chicago, if that matters at all. Thanks for the advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If the goal is BigLaw, do you think I should stay if I remain in the top 25%? Or are my odds greater if I transfer? I'm also trying to get BigLaw in Chicago, if that matters at all. Thanks for the advice.
I'd still transfer, more specifically to NU. In my class, about 25% or so got biglaw + Art III clerkships. Biglaw options outside top 15%-ish aren't great and mostly went to IP/very strong resume students. You'd be taking a big risk if you stayed. My class had four students in the top 20% who transferred to NU, and all got something.

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:08 am

I'd say your odds at NU are better if you can get it, but you should weigh that marginal increase in odds against any scholarship you'll lose.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”