Thoughts/Chances on Transfer from Chi-Kent Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Dactyl08

New

Thoughts/Chances on Transfer from Chi-Kent

Post by Dactyl08 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:21 pm

I amy trying to weigh the likelihood of acceptance and tradeoffs of a transfer from Chicago-Kent (TT) to the following schools:

UofC
Northwestern
UF
University of Miami

I am going for BigLaw, and the Florida schools are based on geographic considerations (ultimately I will end up seeking employment is South Florida due to family). After 1st semester I have a 3.7 GPA, and while class ranks are not calculated until after the 2nd semester, based on past years my current GPA puts me around the top 7% (top 10% is usually 3.6).

What is the likelihood that I am able to get into Chicago ED? I have heard that as I am already at a local school it may give be a small bump. Also, based on my end goal of working in South Florida, would it be better to go to a FL school for the network vice Chicago or Northwestern?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. As additional background, I served in the military for 6.5 years prior to law school, received a decent LSAT score, but my initial apps to law schools were significantly impacted by a very low undergrad GPA (i.e. 2.77).

lavarman84

Platinum

Re: Thoughts/Chances on Transfer from Chi-Kent

Post by lavarman84 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:39 pm

Would you be paying out of pocket if you transfer?(I don't know if you have the GI Bill or how it is affected by transferring)

If so, don't transfer to UF or Miami. This is coming from a person at UF. I love UF but getting biglaw here is extremely tough even for the people that aren't transfers. It's not impossible but paying full price to attend UF with very low odds of accomplishing your goals seems like a bad idea to me.

You have a shot at UChi and Northwestern. Either would be good options for the biglaw goal. But South Florida biglaw is very difficult to get out of law school. You'd be best off at UChi or Northwestern but it still doesn't guarantee you anything.

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:22 pm

FWIW.

I am transferring to FSU law from a tier 4 like yourself.

FSU takes transfers after one semester. I am only going because I am getting instate tuition. Dad lives in FL and will claim as dependent.

He has practiced in FL for over 25 years, said BIGLAW in FL is smoke and mirrors, and if you do land a job with Holland + Knight it, sucks. He has a lawyer who he employs from BIGLAW making $175000+ at the original firm. I saw him over christmas and they tried to speak some sense into me, explaining how BIGLAW isn't what its cracked up to be. You assume you are making big money, but to the partners it isn't ****. They churn and burn, and when you get tired, cut you and hire another T14 dude who can do the same thing you. A pawn in the chess game.

They pretty much said get trial experience early however you can, and you gotta find a niche to make any big money. (They found it in sinkhole ins litigation).

If you have a large scholarship at your school prob stay, unless you can get instate or a large scholarship to a transfer.

Average wage from UF, FSU and Miami is not high at all without connections.

Again I am not much of any authority to give advice, just in a similar transfer process.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:14 pm

Lawworld19 wrote:FWIW.

I am transferring to FSU law from a tier 4 like yourself.

FSU takes transfers after one semester. I am only going because I am getting instate tuition. Dad lives in FL and will claim as dependent.

He has practiced in FL for over 25 years, said BIGLAW in FL is smoke and mirrors, and if you do land a job with Holland + Knight it, sucks. He has a lawyer who he employs from BIGLAW making $175000+ at the original firm. I saw him over christmas and they tried to speak some sense into me, explaining how BIGLAW isn't what its cracked up to be. You assume you are making big money, but to the partners it isn't ****. They churn and burn, and when you get tired, cut you and hire another T14 dude who can do the same thing you. A pawn in the chess game.

They pretty much said get trial experience early however you can, and you gotta find a niche to make any big money. (They found it in sinkhole ins litigation).

If you have a large scholarship at your school prob stay, unless you can get instate or a large scholarship to a transfer.

Average wage from UF, FSU and Miami is not high at all without connections.

Again I am not much of any authority to give advice, just in a similar transfer process.
That's great advice if you want to be a trial lawyer. But a lot of people going into biglaw don't want to be trial lawyers. He is right, though, biglaw isn't a walk in the park. This site does a really nice job of opening your eyes to what it's like if you go to the Legal Employment forum.

That all said, some people are okay with putting up with biglaw for a few years for the exit options (and money) it provides.(and some people actually like biglaw...but they seem to be the minority)

Dactyl08

New

Post by Dactyl08 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:52 pm

I appreciate everything that has been said. As far as practice areas, I am at 95% that I will not be going into litigation, and I am skewing corporate transactional. I know that BigLaw has a reputation for using junior associates as cannon fodder, but that doest really concern me.

As far as going to UF or Miami, I am more concerned with the job prospects if I got dinged from UofC or NU. It would likely be easier to find a job down there going to the FL schools instead of staying at the regional school I am currently at...unless I am way off base.

As far as cost, obviously I will be more than willing to take on the additional debt from UofC or NU, but I would also qualify for in-state tuition at UF so that would cost the same as I am paying now. Miami is on the list as my last ditch. Guess I am just trying to validate that I am thinking about this the right way.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:17 pm

Shouldn't the last ditch be FSU? In state is 20,000$ per year, and Miami, unless you are dead set working in South Florida is not really any better...It is like 48,000 per year and the employment numbers are worse than FSU and UF. I think FSU ranks a little higher than Miami actually. Don't quote me on that though.

Dactyl08

New

Post by Dactyl08 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:24 pm

Lawworld19 wrote:Shouldn't the last ditch be FSU? In state is 20,000$ per year, and Miami, unless you are dead set working in South Florida is not really any better...It is like 48,000 per year and the employment numbers are worse than FSU and UF. I think FSU ranks a little higher than Miami actually. Don't quote me on that though.

That is what I originally thought, but after speaking to a sitting judge down there (Ft. Myers) I was left with the impression that after UF, most of the law schools if FL employ very regionally (let me know if that is completely off base). Unfortunately the decision to end up in South Florida has more to do with my fiance and moving her business from Chicago down to West Palm last October...so I am just trying to put myself in the best position and hedge where I can.

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:30 pm

I would say with some confidence that UF, FSU and Miami are by far the best schools in the state. Kinda always was under the impression if you were going to practice in Miami you go to Miami, everywhere else the only real options are FSU or UF. Employment is a little better at FSU (% Rate), but with the older employers, UF I think still has the top spot. Look at the ABA required disclosures. FSU is the hardest law school to gain admission to as of 2015 over UF by just a hair (LSAT + GPA).

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:41 pm

Dactyl08 wrote:I appreciate everything that has been said. As far as practice areas, I am at 95% that I will not be going into litigation, and I am skewing corporate transactional. I know that BigLaw has a reputation for using junior associates as cannon fodder, but that doest really concern me.

As far as going to UF or Miami, I am more concerned with the job prospects if I got dinged from UofC or NU. It would likely be easier to find a job down there going to the FL schools instead of staying at the regional school I am currently at...unless I am way off base.

As far as cost, obviously I will be more than willing to take on the additional debt from UofC or NU, but I would also qualify for in-state tuition at UF so that would cost the same as I am paying now. Miami is on the list as my last ditch. Guess I am just trying to validate that I am thinking about this the right way.
If that's the case, I'd aim for Northwestern and Chicago. If not, you'll get into UF. Still, in considering whether to transfer or not, you'll have to keep in mind how hard it is to get biglaw at UF. But yes, it'll likely be easier to find a job in Florida at UF than your current school (because UF does still have a strong network in the state). So if the cost is the same and it's better geographically, it would probably be your best option if you don't get into Northwestern or UChi.

For now, just keep working hard and do even better if you can second semester.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”