2016 1L Transfer Thread

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
mac35352

Bronze
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:17 pm

Re: 2016 1L Transfer Thread

Postby mac35352 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:59 am

clshopeful wrote:
mac35352 wrote:Chance me:
Top 6% (got an actual rank #) at UC Hastings. Got a scholarship boost today but not enough to make me stay. Want to practice in the Bay Area.
Applying:
Berkeley
UCLA
Northwestern
NYU


Lock at UCLA; good chance at B; fair (edit: maybe 50/50, just speculating though) chance at NYU; Northwestern seems to be regional-friendly for transfers and not much else if I remember their 509


Thanks. Hoping for Berkeley so I don't have to move at the end of the summer.

Tala29

New
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:47 am

Re: 2016 1L Transfer Thread

Postby Tala29 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:53 am

Quick update. I was accepted at UCLA yesterday :) About 24 hours after my interview! Still waiting to hear back from the others before I make a decision. Deposit date is on the 24th of June.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31195
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: 2016 1L Transfer Thread

Postby Nebby » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Tala29 wrote:Quick update. I was accepted at UCLA yesterday :) About 24 hours after my interview! Still waiting to hear back from the others before I make a decision. Deposit date is on the 24th of June.

Berkeley would likely give you the best shot at what you want

MidwestLgl

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:30 pm

Re: 2016 1L Transfer Thread

Postby MidwestLgl » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:29 am

Has anyone else experienced a major delay in having letters of good standing processed by the schools they're applying to?

I had the bulk of my application materials submitted a few weeks ago and my final transcript was sent last week and processed overnight. My registrar sent the letters about two weeks ago now and my applications are still incomplete. I called one of the schools and they said to give it more time without being able to confirm whether they had received it....seems unnecessarily long to me?

fistfullofdollhairs

New
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 7:16 am

Re: 2016 1L Transfer Thread

Postby fistfullofdollhairs » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:57 am

MidwestLgl wrote:Has anyone else experienced a major delay in having letters of good standing processed by the schools they're applying to?

I had the bulk of my application materials submitted a few weeks ago and my final transcript was sent last week and processed overnight. My registrar sent the letters about two weeks ago now and my applications are still incomplete. I called one of the schools and they said to give it more time without being able to confirm whether they had received it....seems unnecessarily long to me?


I'm having a similar issue with NYU. They should have received everything by now but they claim that I still have outstanding documents. I sent my materials to Columbia the same day and Columbia has received everything. It's frustrating.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


NoDayButToday

Silver
Posts: 1473
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:34 pm

Re: 2016 1L Transfer Thread

Postby NoDayButToday » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:04 am

.
Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ffdc

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: 2016 1L Transfer Thread

Postby ffdc » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:21 pm

3.75 @ UVa URM (Mexican American) probably between 5%-10% in class--closer to 10%. What are my chances at HLS, Yale, Chicago, Northwestern? I want Boston to be closer to family or Chicago to be closer to my Brother and Yale b/c it is Yale.

Any thoughts?

MidwestLgl

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:30 pm

Re: 2016 1L Transfer Thread

Postby MidwestLgl » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:03 pm

ffdc wrote:3.75 @ UVa URM (Mexican American) probably between 5%-10% in class--closer to 10%. What are my chances at HLS, Yale, Chicago, Northwestern? I want Boston to be closer to family or Chicago to be closer to my Brother and Yale b/c it is Yale.

Any thoughts?



I think the application deadlines for HLS, Chicago and Northwestern are either today or have already passed?

ffdc

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: 2016 1L Transfer Thread

Postby ffdc » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:06 pm

Applications are out

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


ffdc

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: 2016 1L Transfer Thread

Postby ffdc » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:41 pm

To be clear, I already sent my applications and am curious as to what I can expect with these numbers.

User avatar
Joscellin

Gold
Posts: 1515
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:40 am

Re: 2016 1L Transfer Thread

Postby Joscellin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:43 pm

ffdc wrote:3.75 @ UVa URM (Mexican American) probably between 5%-10% in class--closer to 10%. What are my chances at HLS, Yale, Chicago, Northwestern? I want Boston to be closer to family or Chicago to be closer to my Brother and Yale b/c it is Yale.

Any thoughts?


Id guess in at NU, Chi, and probably H. Yale is unknowable.

User avatar
EncyclopediaOrange

Bronze
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:30 am

Re: 2016 1L Transfer Thread

Postby EncyclopediaOrange » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:30 pm

So I dropped the ball on applying to Northwestern. If I submit by midnight, will they still look at my app? The instructions say "must be submitted and complete by June 15."

Bilka

Bronze
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 7:25 pm

Re: 2016 1L Transfer Thread

Postby Bilka » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:41 pm

EncyclopediaOrange wrote:So I dropped the ball on applying to Northwestern. If I submit by midnight, will they still look at my app? The instructions say "must be submitted and complete by June 15."



Did you do the recorded online interview?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


User avatar
EncyclopediaOrange

Bronze
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:30 am

Re: 2016 1L Transfer Thread

Postby EncyclopediaOrange » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:43 pm

Bilka wrote:
EncyclopediaOrange wrote:So I dropped the ball on applying to Northwestern. If I submit by midnight, will they still look at my app? The instructions say "must be submitted and complete by June 15."



Did you do the recorded online interview?



Lol nope. I guess reading the instructions would have been helpful.

Timshe1

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: 2016 1L Transfer Thread

Postby Timshe1 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:10 am

Has anyone noticed that there seems to be a fewer number of applicants this transfer cycle? Maybe has to do with fewer kids going to law school these days? Shouldn't fewer number of applicants give us an advantage?

NoDayButToday

Silver
Posts: 1473
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:34 pm

Re: 2016 1L Transfer Thread

Postby NoDayButToday » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:22 am

.
Last edited by NoDayButToday on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Joscellin

Gold
Posts: 1515
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:40 am

Re: 2016 1L Transfer Thread

Postby Joscellin » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:56 am

Timshe1 wrote:Has anyone noticed that there seems to be a fewer number of applicants this transfer cycle? Maybe has to do with fewer kids going to law school these days? Shouldn't fewer number of applicants give us an advantage?


I wouldn't read into it. It's much more likely that fewer TLSers are transferring (especially compared to last year, with WUSTL's #massexodus).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


Timshe1

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: 2016 1L Transfer Thread

Postby Timshe1 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:46 am

Well I say that for example because in the Emory thread, there is practically no activity, whereas last year around the same time a lot of people were commenting. Of course very anecdotal, but wanted to see your opinions

Tala29

New
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:47 am

Re: 2016 1L Transfer Thread

Postby Tala29 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:56 am

Just got an acceptance email from Michigan!

User avatar
Joscellin

Gold
Posts: 1515
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:40 am

Re: 2016 1L Transfer Thread

Postby Joscellin » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:04 am

Tala29 wrote:Just got an acceptance email from Michigan!


Grats!

habeas2210

Bronze
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:25 am

Re: 2016 1L Transfer Thread

Postby habeas2210 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:37 am

Tala29 wrote:Just got an acceptance email from Michigan!


Congratulations! Stats?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


estefanchanning

Bronze
Posts: 341
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:22 pm

Re: 2016 1L Transfer Thread

Postby estefanchanning » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:50 am

Tala29 wrote:Just got an acceptance email from Michigan!


Congrats!!!

Also, re: less applicants this year. I don't think that's the case. If you look back at past threads, the number of active members fluctuates from year to year.

Transfer2016

New
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:20 pm

Re: 2016 1L Transfer Thread

Postby Transfer2016 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:38 pm

Congrats Tala. If you don't mind, what were your stats?

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31195
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: 2016 1L Transfer Thread

Postby Nebby » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:40 pm

Y'all can just search their post history.

T1/top 16%

fistfullofdollhairs

New
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 7:16 am

Re: 2016 1L Transfer Thread

Postby fistfullofdollhairs » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:40 am

Nebby wrote:Y'all can just search their post history.

T1/top 16%


Y'all is lazy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!




Return to “Transfers?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.