T1 -> GULC, UM, or NU Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

T1 -> GULC, UM, or NU

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:03 pm

Hey all I currently attend a midwestern T1 (think big10) and am considering possibly transferring after my 1L grade report. I'm not sure if I'd be competitive though. My main reasons are: just looking at LST reports my school has a ~20% large firm score compared to obviously much higher numbers in the T14. Also I have not much of a scholarship at my current school and have family paying my tuition (prob no debt). Goal is BigLaw. I think I could possibly get big or midlaw from my T1 if I keep up the grades, but essentially only in my home market and the schools home market. (Prob no shot of NYC, Chi, etc)

Grades: Essentially my average grade after 1L is an A-. Top 15-25%

Market: Lived in Michigan (with ties), Born in DC (with family there), and w/o getting too specific the town I lived in MI is pretty close to Chi (hence NU). I also went to one of these schools I want to go to for undergrad. ND could also be a possibility.

The EA GULC seems like an easy process and I think I'd be competitive. Not sure so much for NU, and UM (esp. w/o 2nd Semester grades), which is why I'm asking you guys. Also not sure about the rest of the T14 unless I raise my grades.

Thanks for any help.

sdancer89

New

Re: T1 -> GULC, UM, or NU

Post by sdancer89 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:21 pm

Not sure about UM/NU (especially given that you don't have 2nd semester grades yet) but you're probably on the fence for GULC EA and likely in RD. I was at a T1 and after 1st semester had an A- average which put me just barely out of the top 10%, and I did get in, but I remember there being others with similar-ish numbers in the thread last year that were deferred to RD. As many have said before, it can be a nice safety blanket if you're willing to lose the deposit money.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:26 pm

sdancer89 wrote:Not sure about UM/NU (especially given that you don't have 2nd semester grades yet) but you're probably on the fence for GULC EA and likely in RD. I was at a T1 and after 1st semester had an A- average which put me just barely out of the top 10%, and I did get in, but I remember there being others with similar-ish numbers in the thread last year that were deferred to RD. As many have said before, it can be a nice safety blanket if you're willing to lose the deposit money.
Thanks for referencing that thread. I'm looking through it now. I will agree, it is probably a little premature without 2nd semester grades. Probably will try GULC EA and try to kill it second semester.

TheRealSantaClaus

Bronze

Post by TheRealSantaClaus » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:28 pm

Last edited by TheRealSantaClaus on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:32 pm

TheRealSantaClaus wrote:GULC is probably your best bet, just based off of the huge number of transfers they took this year (over 100).

It's tricky to say how you will fare at Michigan (I'm assuming thats what you mean when you say UM). Northwestern took less transfers this year than many years in the past. I don't know the curve at your school so I can't guess where an A- puts you GPA wise, but you can try to match your GPA up with the school transfer median provoded on the ABA 509 website. Look at the transfer documents.
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I meant Michigan, I'll check out the 509 sheets. I figured NU would be a safer bet than UChi (which would be probably a 0% chance). I'll look at the 509s

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheRealSantaClaus

Bronze

Post by TheRealSantaClaus » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:05 pm

Last edited by TheRealSantaClaus on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:48 pm

OP here:

Probably last question. Do you think a transfer to Vandy would at all make sense? (I noticed they have an early action/non binding application option). Most of my family has moved to the SE/are working at corps and have connections with firms there, but at the same time I've never lived there. I/my parents are paying OOS tuition w/ little scholarship; so the money probably isn't the biggest issue. Losing a shot at journal/faculty connections could kind of suck though. I am pretty risk-adverse and wanted to make sure if I do a transfer app I at least get in somewhere. I noticed my GPA is over Vandy's 75th they taken in for transfer apps.

I am primarily drawn to these early apply options as I think it could be a clusterfuck after taking exams, getting ready to work, and a potential write on to get all these transfer apps/LORs ready to fire off.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:41 pm

Sorry for the double post, but does anyone have any input whether a transfer to a school like Vanderbilt would make sense from a school in the 30-40s range? w/ my goals and limited scholarship in mind.

TheRealSantaClaus

Bronze

Post by TheRealSantaClaus » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:16 pm

Last edited by TheRealSantaClaus on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:49 pm

TheRealSantaClaus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sorry for the double post, but does anyone have any input whether a transfer to a school like Vanderbilt would make sense from a school in the 30-40s range? w/ my goals and limited scholarship in mind.
On paper, it can make sense. Vanderbilt is a great school. However, for people with a "big law or bust" mindset, I think a T14 is a much better option since they all have better biglaw+clerkship numbers. That being said, students at Vandy are almost certain to have better biglaw prospects than those at your current T1.

Before applying to transfer, I'd find out what Vandy's OCI policies are for transfer students. I would also reach out to 2Ls and 3Ls and see how transfers typically do there.

You'd also have to be OK paying full price at a school where most of the students receive some form of aid. At least the cost of living is reasonable.
Thanks I appreciate all the help. I'll probably think it over this week esp. for Vandy. I think I'm going to do Georgetown for sure and dependent on grades this semester, also Mich and NU. Vandy might be worth to apply early for at least IMO just based on maybe leveraging my current school for more money.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”