Am I justified in being angry? Or only myself to blame? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Am I justified in being angry? Or only myself to blame?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:56 pm

I'll be frank. I'm just posting this to blow off some steam, so be sure to take it with a grain of salt. I'm a rising 2L at a T50 school. I did very poorly my first semester and much better my second semester but not quite good enough to put me in the top 50% (somewhere in the 40th percentile). I wanted to transfer to another school for family reasons that is ranked within 10 USNWR spots of my school depending on the year (sometimes behind, sometimes in front). Because of my poor first semester, I had reasonably given up the idea of transferring because this school normally demands top 1/3 for transfers. As it became apparent that I would improve my second semester, I went and visited with the target school. They had a new Dean of Admissions. I had been waitlisted the previous year, and rejected the year before that due to my strangely profound incompetence with the LSAT. The Dean was so impressed with my persistence that he offered to give me a "strong hope" of being able to transfer because of the very small c/o 2017 that was admitted. He later said that "I should feel good about my chances". For various reasons that I won't go into, to be able to transfer would have been a relief that most people never feel in their natural lives.

I kept my guard up and refused to believe that the school might admit me, my grades were not quite there and it just didn't seem rational that they would admit me over students with better grades just because I had a demonstrable history of interest and the fact that I was at a school that is a near equal in most respects. But then I received an interview about 4 weeks after applying (mid-July). I have talked to dozens of students at my target school and I've searched through every forum imaginable on the internet, and I couldn't not find one human being who had ever been granted an interview at this school and not been granted admission. Unfortunately, I let my guard down and began to believe that I might get in. Another 2 and a half weeks went by without an answer despite being told that I would have my answer before the end of the week after the interview. Then finally, I receive the decision that I was not eligible to transfer because my grades were not in the top half. What's more is that this new Dean is not calling the shots at all and has been the puppet for the associate Dean since starting at the school. I spoke again with the Dean of admissions about every possible way I could get into this damn school and it all came down to a number. What is the purpose of a committee? I'm just not seeing it here. Why would they lead me on like that over the course of nearly seven weeks? Why even have a committee at all when their job can be outsourced to a fucking calculator? Surely this wasn't deserving of a seven week deliberation - seven weeks (of my summer no less) where the possibility of transferring dominated my thoughts.

Then I try to think rationally but I can't come to a proper conclusion. Do I even have a right to be angry? Or do I just have myself to blame for allowing my self-delusion to kick in and believe that I might be accepted? Were the Dean's words and selection to interview me enough to make my hope reasonable? I want to be irrationally angry right now because I think that it will somehow make myself feel better. But my rational side won't allow it. Help.

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Am I justified in being angry? Or only myself to blame?

Post by rpupkin » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:48 pm

I think your anger is justified. If the school has a hard-and-fast rule about not admitting applicants with below-median grades, and if they interviewed you despite knowing that you had below-median grades, then the school unreasonably wasted your time.

I suspect, however, that the school was open to the possibility of admitting you but your interview didn't go particularly well. They're not going to tell you that ("sorry, we didn't like you"), so instead they're using the below-our-grade-cutoff excuse.

Whatever the real reason, it sucks. I'm sorry.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:51 pm

You should be mass mailing

Foghornleghorn

Bronze

Post by Foghornleghorn » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:07 pm

Your anger is unjustified. Despite the warnings about attending TTT schools with the assumption that you would be able to transfer somewhere else, you chose to take the risk and got burned. Live with your decision. And yes, you should have started mass mailing 2-3 weeks ago.

trey ohh five

New

Post by trey ohh five » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:26 pm

Foghornleghorn wrote:Your anger is unjustified. Despite the warnings about attending TTT schools with the assumption that you would be able to transfer somewhere else, you chose to take the risk and got burned. Live with your decision. And yes, you should have started mass mailing 2-3 weeks ago.
He goes to a T1 school. He said so in the first line of the first paragraph of his post. At least give OP the courtesy of reading his post before you hit "reply" and shit all over him.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:29 pm

trey ohh five wrote:
Foghornleghorn wrote:Your anger is unjustified. Despite the warnings about attending TTT schools with the assumption that you would be able to transfer somewhere else, you chose to take the risk and got burned. Live with your decision. And yes, you should have started mass mailing 2-3 weeks ago.
He goes to a T1 school. He said so in the first line of the first paragraph of his post. At least give OP the courtesy of reading his post before you hit "reply" and shit all over him.
No kidding. The OP just wanted to transfer to a peer school for personal/geographic reasons. TLS sucks sometimes.

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:29 pm

Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:27 am

OP here.

Foghorn: Don't worry about my mass mailing, Foghorn. I was trying to switch to a peer school and the circumstances that made a transfer very desirable were not evident until after I started school. Now get off your soapbox and go sit on a bicycle that's missing a seat.

Deseret Fox: for my career goals, T1 will be just fine, even if not all the circumstances are as ideal as they would've been had I been granted a transfer. Take your prestige-whoring snob act elsewhere.

Some of these fucking TLSers will just not hesitate to kick you while you're down.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:46 am

Both. You are justified in being angry and have yourself to blame. But you're not alone. I was pretty ticked after the way my transfer cycle went. But things actually are going well for me right now and it might end up working out better for me that I didn't transfer. We'll see. Sometimes things that seem like a negative end up being a positive. Keep your chin up and keep moving forward. It's okay to be pissed but there's nothing you can do at this point. Just gotta move forward with a positive attitude!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JazzyMac

Bronze

Post by JazzyMac » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:48 am

Much apologies it didn't work out. Yes, it most likely boiled down to the interview not amazing them or their committee. Either way, I know this seems sugary or political, but everything happens for a reason.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:05 am

OP here. I appreciate the kind and constructive words. Thank you.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:11 am

If the purpose of the transfer was for family reasons, and assuming that hasn't changed, why not try to be a visiting student at the school next year?

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:19 am

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ajren Robben

New

Post by Ajren Robben » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:42 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
trey ohh five wrote:
T1= TTT
T12 = TTT

Ajren Robben

New

Post by Ajren Robben » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:59 pm

I'd be super pissed if that happened to me, OP. You are totally justified in being angry. That Dean should not have raised your hopes like that.

T1 is not TTT btw.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”