Transfer to T30? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transfer to T30?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:06 pm

I am currently a rising 2L from a NW T2 about the 50% of my class. I was recently admitted to UW as a transfer, curious about thoughts on if I should go.

I was receiving 5000, but once they found out that I may go, they increased it by 13,000. I did write-on to a journal(not law review) at my current school.

My dilemma is that I want to work in Washington, but I have absolutely no interest in big law. I also am not particularly sold on practicing in Seattle. I initially applied to transfer because of the cost difference, job opportunities, etc. But now the school I am at would be 6,000 dollars cheaper over the next two years. However, that is contingent on me still being considered a resident of Washington, which I should be. Any advice?

If this helps at all, I am interested in public interest work, specifically indigent defense.

JRBaldauf

New

Re: Transfer to T30?

Post by JRBaldauf » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:13 pm

My advice would be not to limit yourself. UW will give you many more regional options and will also open some national doors. Do they have any loan repayment programs for public service work?

Only you know you, though. It will be tough coming in as a transfer to make new friends, get settled, etc. You're the new kid at school. That being said, on the balance, UW is probably the way to go. This is especially true if it's not much more expensive.

sandwhich

Bronze

Re: Transfer to T30?

Post by sandwhich » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:27 pm

Would saying your school out you? It might help here. But transferring is a tough call in any sense. 18k isn't enough to make it a no brainer IMO. If not big law what do you want? Mid law? PI? Does GW place better into what you want?

Just re-read OP. $6000 is negligible when it comes to "trading up" your degree. This doesn't take into account all the intangible factors, though.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”