WUSTL --> Vandy....worth the move? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

WUSTL --> Vandy....worth the move?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:00 pm

I am currently at WUSTL and have been accepted to Vanderbilt as a transfer student. I am originally from Nashville and want to practice there after graduation. I am very confident based on my ties to the city and my grades I can get a job to my satisfaction in TN if I stay put at WUSTL. In terms of $$$, it is identical. I am paying sticker.

The only reason I would want to make the change is to start developing friends in the market I will eventually work in. Is this a worthwhile reason for transferring?

RareExports

Silver

Re: WUSTL --> Vandy....worth the move?

Post by RareExports » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:03 pm

Sticker at WUSTL, from Nashville, want to practice in Nashville, want to develop friends in Nashville--why would you not transfer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:04 pm

I am very happy at WUSTL. Have made some good friends there this past year.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:07 pm

Are you on law review or nah?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:16 pm

Not on law review

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post by PourMeTea » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:19 pm

vandy

chingwoo

Bronze

Post by chingwoo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:33 pm

PourMeTea wrote:vandy
You'd go to American wcl over wustl.

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post by PourMeTea » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:41 pm

chingwoo wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:vandy
You'd go to American wcl over wustl.
this is probably true, but as a 100% unbiased party in this matter, i still vote vandy because who cares about good feels when you attend professional school and something else makes more sense

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:33 pm

If there's no money to be lost, then I don't see why not.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:39 pm

The real move is to apply, get in, and tell WUSTL you'll leave if you don't get money. Then decide. You have a valid reason for leaving WUSTL so it will put the fear of god into them.

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post by PourMeTea » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:45 pm

landshoes wrote:The real move is to apply, get in, and tell WUSTL you'll leave if you don't get money. Then decide. You have a valid reason for leaving WUSTL so it will put the fear of god into them.
this actually sounds credited. i heard through the grapevine that upwards of 60 1Ls asked for dean's certs

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:46 pm

landshoes wrote:The real move is to apply, get in, and tell WUSTL you'll leave if you don't get money. Then decide. You have a valid reason for leaving WUSTL so it will put the fear of god into them.
OP has already been accepted to Vandy.

This is a good point, though. If OP is considering staying at WUSTL they should at least try to negotiation for scholarships. If the money is about the same, why not transfer?

Gamecockfan

New

Post by Gamecockfan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:56 pm

stasg wrote:
OP has already been accepted to Vandy.

This is a good point, though. If OP is considering staying at WUSTL they should at least try to negotiation for scholarships. If the money is about the same, why not transfer?
Not going to repeat the negotiation thing. But you should definitely do that before you make a move. I did it at my school even though I probably wouldn't stay unless it was a full-ride. Even then the only reason I'd stay is because they have the number one IMBA program in the country, and I'd try and do the dual degree. (This is googleable so I will just say it is South Carolina)

It sounds like you have literally no reason not to go to Vandy other than you made friends at WUSL. On the flip side of that, people always tell you to go to school where you want to practice. So, Vandy wins there. Also, Vandy has an overall better brand name. Even if WUSL is a good law school. I personally, doesn't mean no one does maybe they can offer counter-opinions, have no name recognition of them other than law school. Vandy is known for medicine, business, engineering, law, etc. It is known to be one of the best institutions in the country generally. I personally think that carries a lot of weight, and it will help you in the long term.

Edit: Note: I may be a bit biased though I don't feel like I am. My half-sister got her PHD in cancer biology from Vandy. One of my classmates is making the move to Vandy if he doesn't get Michigan. (May do it even if he does get Michigan)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:49 am

Definitely try to negotiate with WUSTL.

After that, I think you should really go with your gut. With the $ being the same and since you have ties to Nashville, you'll probably have a similar outcome either way. It might be easier to network for a great job in Nashville if you attend Vandy, but if that is not a concern, then whatever.

Where do you think you'll enjoy the rest of your law school experience more?

Remember, transferring is a hassle. You have to make new friends, figure out a new community dynamic, a new city, etc. If you feel like your friends at WUSTL are worth sticking around for and there's no other huge factorss screaming against WUSTL, that's not a bad idea.

If you think you'll enjoy living in Nashville more and attending Vandy more, then go there.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:16 am

Considering it's professional school, you should take Vandy here.

Considering #massexodus, there's a good chance that those friends are leaving as well.

Gamecockfan

New

Post by Gamecockfan » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:08 am

scottidsntknow wrote:Considering it's professional school, you should take Vandy here.

Considering #massexodus, there's a good chance that those friends are leaving as well.
Lol! ^^

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:51 am

Massexodus?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post by PourMeTea » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:54 am

60-70 or so WUSTL 1Ls requested dean's certs to transfer

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Massexodus?
Anonymous User wrote:Massexodus?
Basically, some of the more blatant prestige whores/gunners "decamped to greener pastures." Some good people too, but for the most part, the insufferable people left.

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post by PourMeTea » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:00 am

i can't wait to see the new cutoffs

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:02 am

Wow. Can this affect wustl's ranking somehow?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post by PourMeTea » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:04 am

i don't think so, because i don't believe transfers in or out are factored into the methodology. the concern is applicants seeing an exodus and having that affect their initial decision, but i doubt it affects the ranking.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:58 pm

Their employment score is going to plummet--seems like a number of their most employable grads are going elsewhere.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:13 pm

landshoes wrote:Their employment score is going to plummet--seems like a number of their most employable grads are going elsewhere.
Well a good chunk of the top of the class always transfers out, and then the school readjusts rankings so if anything it helps. The bigger problem is the huge class size.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am very happy at WUSTL. Have made some good friends there this past year.
who cares about friends? this isn't summer camp. it's prestioguso proessional school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”