Berkeley transfer or stay?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
californiagurlll

Berkeley transfer or stay?

Postby californiagurlll » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:46 pm

I'm on the fence of whether I should transfer to Berkeley. I also threw in an app to Stanford, but I highly doubt that's an option. I have no desire to leave the state of California. I was born and raised here.

I currently attend a T1 CA school. I'm top 10%. I will likely have Law Review. I'm interested in getting a summer associate position for next summer. I, also, would like to apply for federal district court clerkships for post-grad. It seems like these goals are possible at my current school but just not as likely. My current school bumped up my scholarship to over a full ride + a couple extra grand. I currently have no debt from my first year. I would likely graduate with around $10,000 to $20,000 total debt.

Assuming I get no need-based, Berkeley would probably be around $150,000 in debt. I am applying for need-based and hopefully will get something.

I have no undergrad debt.

What do you think?

EvelynS

Re: Berkeley transfer or stay?

Postby EvelynS » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:55 pm

I am obviously partial because...oh, well "Go Bears." At the end of the day, if you want to stay in Cali, especially in the Bay Area, going to schools like Stanford and Berkeley are a huge boost. They are the main feeders to the Bay Area firms. It is up to you of course, but school name helps when it comes to finding your first job. Being top 10% at your school is great, and you will probably get a lat firm job going through your school OCI as well. But going to a higher ranked school is better in this economy (take it with a grain of salt, very subjective opinion). Since you will be paying a sticker for both schools for the next 2 years, so you might as well to go with a higher ranked school to somewhat justify such an expense, assuming that law school prices can be ever justified. lol On the same note, if you can tentatively say "yes" to Berkeley and see of Stanford accepts you, that would be a great option. In any case, the decision is all your's. Like I said, my opinion is very subjective.

californiagurlll

Postby californiagurlll » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:57 pm

EvelynS wrote:I am obviously partial because...oh, well "Go Bears." At the end of the day, if you want to stay in Cali, especially in the Bay Area, going to schools like Stanford and Berkeley are a huge boost. They are the main feeders to the Bay Area firms. It is up to you of course, but school name helps when it comes to finding your first job. Being top 10% at your school is great, and you will probably get a lat firm job going through your school OCI as well. But going to a higher ranked school is better in this economy (take it with a grain of salt, very subjective opinion). Since you will be paying a sticker for both schools for the next 2 years, so you might as well to go with a higher ranked school to somewhat justify such an expense, assuming that law school prices can be ever justified. lol On the same note, if you can tentatively say "yes" to Berkeley and see of Stanford accepts you, that would be a great option. In any case, the decision is all your's. Like I said, my opinion is very subjective.

I would not be paying sticker at my current school. They gave me a full ride + extra.

EvelynS

Postby EvelynS » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:00 pm

My bad. Sorry. I thought you were paying sticker for your current school. Now your decision is much harder. I am sorry. But congrats on getting into Berkeley. Great school (for what my opinion is worth)!

EvelynS

Postby EvelynS » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:01 pm

Do you know what area of practice you are interested in? That might help to make a decision on your transfer.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:45 pm

If T1 means what I think it does, then you're either at UCI or UCD. You should just say which one—it's relevant and we can give you better advice if we know.

And if you're concerned about outing yourself, don't worry. Rest assured that almost everyone else in the top 10% of your school is also considering transferring.

californiagurlll

Postby californiagurlll » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:16 pm

rpupkin wrote:If T1 means what I think it does, then you're either at UCI or UCD. You should just say which one—it's relevant and we can give you better advice if we know.

And if you're concerned about outing yourself, don't worry. Rest assured that almost everyone else in the top 10% of your school is also considering transferring.

davis

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:34 pm

californiagurlll wrote:
rpupkin wrote:If T1 means what I think it does, then you're either at UCI or UCD. You should just say which one—it's relevant and we can give you better advice if we know.

davis

Alright. Where do you want to work? If your goal is to work in Northern California, I would stay at Davis. You can get a big law SA in the SF Bay Area if you're top 10% at UCD. (And keep in mind that you'll be ranked even higher once others in the top 10% transfer out.)

Here's what the additional $130K of debt at Berkeley would buy you:

1. More geographic flexibility. Getting a big law job in NYC or LA is relatively easy out of Berkeley but quite difficult out of Davis.

2. A few more options in big law in the Bay Area. Although most Bay Area firms will consider hiring a top 10% UCD student, there are a few that might not look at your app unless you're at SLS or Boalt.

3. Improved clerkship chances. You say you want to clerk. If you transfer to Boalt, you'll significantly improve your chances of getting an A3 clerkship—although, because you're a transfer, it'll be tough to get a clerkship right after graduation.

In my opinion, those benefits are not worth $130K of additional debt. Clerking is nice—I did it and liked the experience—but I would not have sacrificed $130K of debt in order to do it. Plus, it's not like transferring to Berkeley guarantees you a clerkship; it's still an uphill battle, particularly for a transfer.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:39 pm

Yeah at this point with your goals, it doesn't really seem like it's worth it. It seems like the only consideration here would be the increased clerkship odds, and as rpupkin said, that's limited considering you're a transfer. I wouldn't spend six-figures to slightly increase my chances at a one year position personally.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:20 pm

An extra $150,000 of debt is the only certainty. Better to stay & enjoy a near debt-free education while building connections with profs & improving your class rank. Consider getting published & then becoming an editor on law review to enhance your resume & skills.

californiagurlll

Postby californiagurlll » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:47 pm

Thanks everyone! I have decided to stay put at my current school. The debt does not seem worth it. I can still get some really good outcomes at my current school.

hartfordhockaloogies

Postby hartfordhockaloogies » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:47 pm

You should transfer. Even if you get 10k from berk/stanford. Don't be dumb

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:07 pm

hartfordhockaloogies wrote:You should transfer. Even if you get 10k from berk/stanford. Don't be dumb

Quality analysis.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:05 pm

I, also, would like to apply for federal district court clerkships for post-grad. It seems like these goals are possible at my current school but just not as likely

A3 clerkships are not only not as likely, they are rare. According to ABA reports, 5 students from Davis scored a federal clerkship. In comparison, Boalt had 40.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:33 pm

Big Dog wrote:
I, also, would like to apply for federal district court clerkships for post-grad. It seems like these goals are possible at my current school but just not as likely

A3 clerkships are not only not as likely, they are rare. According to ABA reports, 5 students from Davis scored a federal clerkship. In comparison, Boalt had 40.

How many of those 40 were transfer students?

californiagurlll

Postby californiagurlll » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:04 am

rpupkin wrote:
Big Dog wrote:

How many of those 40 were transfer students?

Yeah. It just seems like my chances are actually better being a superstar at Davis than a Berkeley transfer.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:11 am

^except "top 10%" does not equate to "superstar", unless your are top 3-5. If your "top 10%" is really number 15, you have almost no chance at a clerkship, unless you bring a diversity (or other) hook.

californiagurlll

Postby californiagurlll » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:55 pm

Big Dog wrote:^except "top 10%" does not equate to "superstar", unless your are top 3-5. If your "top 10%" is really number 15, you have almost no chance at a clerkship, unless you bring a diversity (or other) hook.

everyone is so sassy. It is TLS though.

I've got all kinds of hooks.

Honestly, nothing is certain in life. I can't choose a school and expect an exact outcome. The only thing that is certain is that I can save $130,000 and still probably have a good outcome (whether it's big law, mid law, judicial clerkship, etc.).

I'm going to save that $130,000.

lawman84

Postby lawman84 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:27 pm

californiagurlll wrote:
Big Dog wrote:^except "top 10%" does not equate to "superstar", unless your are top 3-5. If your "top 10%" is really number 15, you have almost no chance at a clerkship, unless you bring a diversity (or other) hook.

Honestly, nothing is certain in life. I can't choose a school and expect an exact outcome. The only thing that is certain is that I can save $130,000 and still probably have a good outcome (whether it's big law, mid law, judicial clerkship, etc.).

I don't think you'll regret your decision here. IMO, you're making the right call.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:48 pm

californiagurlll wrote:

This. While nothing is guaranteed, what if OP strikes out at Berk? Not everyone at Cal gets a good outcome. $130,000 is nothing to sneeze at. Top 10% (and LR if you made it) with a full ride is a good place to be. Top 10% with LR is gonna have to at least be comparable to starting fresh at Cal...without that debt.

(Have to point out that I may be biased)

Return to “Transfers”