Has anyone reused their PS

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
toschool

Has anyone reused their PS

Postby toschool » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:09 am

Has anyone reused their personal statement for their Transfer Application as well as the Letter of Recommendations. I'm looking to apply at GULC and wanted to know if this was frowned upon?

Indy16

Re: Has anyone reused their PS

Postby Indy16 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:12 am

Last edited by Indy16 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:13 am

Don't do this. Also, GULC's deadline has already passed.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:13 am

Indy16 wrote:After a year of law school you have nothing to add to your personal statement? I'm sure letters of rec are fine to reuse especially if they're from undergrad professors as there would be no change.

Disclosure: 0L, not transfer student so I could be off-base.

Also no you can't reuse letters. You get new ones from law profs. Don't post in this forum.

timesnewboston

Postby timesnewboston » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:30 am

I used my old PS as a base and edited and added to it. Everyone seems to say it's irrelevant so I didn't put major effort into it.

lawman84

Postby lawman84 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:13 pm

timesnewboston wrote:I used my old PS as a base and edited and added to it. Everyone seems to say it's irrelevant so I didn't put major effort into it.

Same. I just tweaked it a bit, added my rationale for transferring, and personalized it for each school. My rationale for transferring actually ties into the theme of my personal statement so that made it easier to justify reusing it. Plus, this is my first time applying to all of these schools.

To the 0L, no, I had nothing to add to my personal statement after a year of law school...except outstanding grades. But they already have my resume, transcript, and class rank (well, they'll have my class rank) so no reason to waste time discussing my grades in the PS.
Last edited by lawman84 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sandwhich

Postby sandwhich » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:16 pm

timesnewboston wrote:I used my old PS as a base and edited and added to it. Everyone seems to say it's irrelevant so I didn't put major effort into it.

It was not irrelevant at all to my transfer application. During my interview my interviewer quoted my PS several times. I'm very glad I put the time and effort I did into crafting a well thought out PS. There's no reason to assume that they're not going to seriously attribute your writing ability to the only example of that ability they have.

Return to “Transfers”