Transferring from T4 to UF/FSU

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lawstudent121212
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:49 pm

Transferring from T4 to UF/FSU

Postby Lawstudent121212 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:18 pm

I'm looking at transferring to either FSU or UF. Does anyone know a time frame a typical transfer student will be notified of a decision? As of today, my completed application is under review at UF and FSU.

Also what are my chances of getting into UF or FSU? (Just your educated guess) I'm in the top 3% of my class at a T4 school in Northern Florida, (I'm sure that gives you a good idea of where I'm at) and I received several book awards.

Lastly, is it worth it to transfer? They are offering me a very good scholarship that pretty much provides me a full ride.

Thanks for taking the time out to reply!

lawman84
Posts: 3272
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Transferring from T4 to UF/FSU

Postby lawman84 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:27 pm

Lawstudent121212 wrote:I'm looking at transferring to either FSU or UF. Does anyone know a time frame a typical transfer student will be notified of a decision? As of today, my completed application is under review at UF and FSU.

Also what are my chances of getting into UF or FSU? (Just your educated guess) I'm in the top 3% of my class at a T4 school in Northern Florida, (I'm sure that gives you a good idea of where I'm at) and I received several book awards.

Lastly, is it worth it to transfer? They are offering me a very good scholarship that pretty much provides me a full ride.

Thanks for taking the time out to reply!


I don't know when UF will make a decision but you stand a good shot at getting into UF if you're in the top 3% of your class. UF took 10 transfers from Florida Coastal last year.

Is it worth it to transfer? Are you well connected in the legal industry? Do you have a job locked up after you graduate? If you don't have a job on lock and significant connections, yes, you should transfer. UF's employment numbers aren't elite but you stand a much better chance at UF than you do at Coastal. Same with FSU. There's definitely a stigma that comes with a degree from Coastal.

You're just going to have to work hard and get good grades at UF.

Plus, speaking as a student of the class you'd be transferring into, there are a lot of good people and it's not cutthroat or anything.(if that makes things any easier)

EDIT: This entire post assumes you're at Coastal but applies to pretty much any of the Florida T4s.

User avatar
runinthefront
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: Transferring from T4 to UF/FSU

Postby runinthefront » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:34 pm

Even If you are at Coastal with a full ride and a job lined up, you still need to transfer if you have the opportunity

Lawstudent121212
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:49 pm

Re: Transferring from T4 to UF/FSU

Postby Lawstudent121212 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:45 pm

Thank you so much for your advice! I spoke to several professors at my current law school and all of them said that past students who have transferred have achieved the same or ranked higher in their class at UF.

I have a friend who transferred to FSU and he said FCSL was just as challenging as FSU... Not sure if that's true, but we all have to pass the same bar.

I would really appreciate if anyone else out there can shed some light on when I should expect to hear a decision from either school.

lawman84
Posts: 3272
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Transferring from T4 to UF/FSU

Postby lawman84 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:50 pm

Lawstudent121212 wrote:Thank you so much for your advice! I spoke to several professors at my current law school and all of them said that past students who have transferred have achieved the same or ranked higher in their class at UF.

I have a friend who transferred to FSU and he said FCSL was just as challenging as FSU... Not sure if that's true, but we all have to pass the same bar.

I would really appreciate if anyone else out there can shed some light on when I should expect to hear a decision from either school.


I think you're being misled a bit on that. The courses, themselves, might not be more challenging but your competition is going to be better. But that might be offset by the tendency of people to not try very hard as 2Ls and 3Ls whereas you have motivation to continue to work hard. But I do wish you luck! If you were top of your class there, you should do well at UF or FSU.

Lawstudent121212
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:49 pm

Re: Transferring from T4 to UF/FSU

Postby Lawstudent121212 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:57 pm

Where did you hear the # of transfers from Coastal? Just curious. Do you know those transfer student's stats?

lawman84
Posts: 3272
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Transferring from T4 to UF/FSU

Postby lawman84 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:15 pm

Lawstudent121212 wrote:Where did you hear the # of transfers from Coastal? Just curious. Do you know those transfer student's stats?


I don't know the GPA of the Coastal transfers. But this site will give you the total 25/Median/75 GPAs of all the students that transferred for the 2014 year (as well as their schools):
http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/

User avatar
pancakes3
Posts: 3897
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Transferring from T4 to UF/FSU

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:18 pm

lawman84 wrote:
Lawstudent121212 wrote:Where did you hear the # of transfers from Coastal? Just curious. Do you know those transfer student's stats?


I don't know the GPA of the Coastal transfers. But this site will give you the total 25/Median/75 GPAs of all the students that transferred for the 2014 year (as well as their schools):
http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/


http://www.law.ufl.edu/wordpress/wp-con ... -34-25.pdf

10 from Coastal, 5 from Barry, 3 from Nova

Lawstudent121212
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:49 pm

Re: Transferring from T4 to UF/FSU

Postby Lawstudent121212 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:08 am

Just a follow-up, I was accepted into UF on Friday June 26. They received my transcripts on Tuesday and made a decision on Friday. Just an FYI for everyone who is wondering about their own status. Good Luck everyone!

Roberrrrto
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:43 am

Re: Transferring from T4 to UF/FSU

Postby Roberrrrto » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:54 pm

Lawstudent121212 wrote:Just a follow-up, I was accepted into UF on Friday June 26. They received my transcripts on Tuesday and made a decision on Friday. Just an FYI for everyone who is wondering about their own status. Good Luck everyone!


Congrats! I bet I know who you are.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.