Worth the application price?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Worth the application price?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:50 pm

Student at T2 Chicago School, GPA 3.6, Top 25~ percent (based on last year's numbers because ranks arent out yet).

Also unsure of Law Review/Secondary journal/Moot Court - no results on these yet.

Have solid letters of rec and a published paper.

Reason I want to transfer is to eventually make my way back to NYC post graduation (family/friends all located there).

Is it even worth the app money to apply to northwestern? Unable to apply to NY area schools due to personal reasons/inability to leave Chicago for next year.

CanadianWolf

Re: Worth the application price?

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:53 pm

Yes, it's worth the cost of an application so that you do not create any lifelong regret by inaction. Better to let Northwestern decide whether or not to admit you as a transfer student than for you to deny yourself.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:05 pm

OP Anon here.

More to the point... do I have any chance of actually being accepted?

sandwhich

Postby sandwhich » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:28 pm

They took 5 from your school last year, so I'd say you at least have a shot. The median GPA for incoming transfers was a 3.56, which you're above (although that is not as informative as it seems because class rank matters much more than just GPA alone).

w7ldcard

Postby w7ldcard » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:33 pm

sandwhich wrote:They took 5 from your school last year, so I'd say you at least have a shot. The median GPA for incoming transfers was a 3.56, which you're above (although that is not as informative as it seems because class rank matters much more than just GPA alone).

Where do you find this transfer info?

sandwhich

Postby sandwhich » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:35 pm

w7ldcard wrote:
sandwhich wrote:They took 5 from your school last year, so I'd say you at least have a shot. The median GPA for incoming transfers was a 3.56, which you're above (although that is not as informative as it seems because class rank matters much more than just GPA alone).

http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:06 pm

Can't say whether or not you'll be accepted because much depends upon the number & quality of transfer apps received & spaces available. Top 25% at a Tier 2 is borderline.

w7ldcard

Postby w7ldcard » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:07 pm

sandwhich wrote:
w7ldcard wrote:

http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org

Perfect didn't realize the transfer info was on there also thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:33 pm

OP again.

Actually received ranks minutes after I posted this topic. Turns out that its top 20% (not much of a difference than 25%). Normally, I'd say T2/20% would have no shot, but because I'm already at a Chicago school, chances may be improved? At least thats my thinking.

I'll send the app.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:36 pm

Worth a shot

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:48 pm

Danger Zone wrote:Worth a shot

Longtimecoming19

Postby Longtimecoming19 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:51 pm

You have enough of a shot that it's worth applying so that you don't spend the rest of your life wondering 'what if?'

Return to “Transfers”