How do UT transfers do with OCI?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How do UT transfers do with OCI?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:01 pm

Seems to be a few on this board. How did your transfer class do with OCI last fall? How do the transfer classes do, historically? Any evidence that it was tougher for interviewers to get pre-select slots?

Thanks for your help.

Traynor Brah

Re: How do UT transfers do with OCI?

Postby Traynor Brah » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:17 pm

I have not heard good things. If you wouldn't be competitive for an SA from your old school, I would not expect to be competitive at UT.

timmyd

Postby timmyd » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:31 pm

Depends where you come from. I came from a ttt and didn't do well, but I got a fed clerkship so whatevs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:35 pm

timmyd wrote:Depends where you come from. I came from a ttt and didn't do well, but I got a fed clerkship so whatevs.

OP here. Thanks for the response. Midwest T1. Top 15%. Strong Texas ties. Any thoughts on how that affects the arithmetic?

timmyd

Postby timmyd » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:52 pm

Decent, but far from a guarantee. I think texas ties will help alot. Mass mail also. I think you should get at least something, but who knows.

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
timmyd wrote:Depends where you come from. I came from a ttt and didn't do well, but I got a fed clerkship so whatevs.

OP here. Thanks for the response. Midwest T1. Top 15%. Strong Texas ties. Any thoughts on how that affects the arithmetic?

Which specific school? You're anon, and it might make a difference. And what are "strong ties" and why did you leave?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:57 am

Traynor Brah wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Which specific school? You're anon, and it might make a difference. And what are "strong ties" and why did you leave?

I'd rather not state the school. There aren't many in my class who can claim strong Texas ties. It wouldn't be too difficult for any of my classmates reading this forum to make an educated guess as to who I am. Suffice to say, it's a Midwest T1 that bounces around the T25-35.

Without getting too specific, I worked for a Texas-based entity for about five years between undergrad and law school. That had me living out of state while enabling me to retain my Texas residency.

Again, thanks.

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:51 am

So indiana or iowa. Yeah I mean you're going to get in, I just don't know whether you can justify out of state sticker as you're probably not going to land biglaw. UT is great, but it's definitely not worth 80K a year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:15 am

Traynor Brah wrote:So indiana or iowa. Yeah I mean you're going to get in, I just don't know whether you can justify out of state sticker as you're probably not going to land biglaw. UT is great, but it's definitely not worth 80K a year.

As I said, I'm a Texas resident. So, it'd be in-state tuition. Compared to where I am now, COA would be a wash.

Appreciate all the advice, but, just to clarify, do you attend UT?

TheodoreKGB

Postby TheodoreKGB » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:19 am

Last edited by TheodoreKGB on Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:28 am

As far as I can tell, they fare well. OCI is dominated by Midwest offices. I'd love to work in biglaw in Chicago, but I'm also very interested in getting back to Texas.

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:31 am

Well of tuition is the same to you, you have ties, and you want to be in texas, then yeah it definitely makes sense to do it. Just don't expect biglaw, though you're going to get a good shot at it. Yeah I go to UT; feel free to PM if you have any q's I can help with.

Return to “Transfers”