SU v UW Transfer or stay

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SU v UW Transfer or stay

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:08 pm

I have spent several hours reading through TLS regarding transfers, various schools, and employment. With that being said I am looking for some feedback concerning my two options. I realize "biglaw" isn't really on the table at this point but my goal is as close to biglaw as I can get, whether that be actual biglaw or regional/midlaw. I have strong ties to Seattle, and weaker ties via close family (siblings and aunts/uncles) in CA and AZ. I would like to stay in Seattle if possible, but I am not entirely opposed to moving to any large market.

1L Stats:
SU (t2/t3)
GPA 3.50
Rank T19%

Option 1:
Stay at SU T2/T3 $41k tuition-$16k scholarship= $25k
Did not do write on as I was intending to transfer

Option 2:
Transfer to UW T1 $31k tuition no scholarship = $31k
Able participate in write on and probably end up on a secondary journal.

The COL for both schools is nearly the same. Basically what it boils down to is the upgrade from SU-->UW worth the additional 12K in tuition? I have already petitioned SU for a scholarship increase given my performance, and they said they will reevaluate but it does not seem likely I will get an increase. I have tried to do some research regarding both school's placement in local firms and it seems SU places just as well regionally in midlaw as UW but I do not have any empirical data other than browsing through firm profiles.

ex_nunc

Re: SU v UW Transfer or stay

Postby ex_nunc » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:17 pm

Have you checked lawschooltransparency.com? Just glancing at the numbers, it seems like a transfer to UW would be worth it.

life2323

Postby life2323 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:22 pm

I would most definitely transfer.

TransferHopeful17

Postby TransferHopeful17 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:29 pm

Given that Seattle is your preferred market and you want to keep biglaw an option, I would transfer.

atcushman

Postby atcushman » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:20 pm

TRANSFER

butlerraider1

Postby butlerraider1 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:40 pm

IMO this is a clear transfer situation

Return to “Transfers”