UT transfer app is silent on LORs - send anyway?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

UT transfer app is silent on LORs - send anyway?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:28 pm

UT's transfer application is silent on LORs. It doesn't ask for any, but it doesn't say don't send any. This is somewhat different from their regular admission application which does not require LORs but provides that you can submit up to three.

Should I submit an LOR or not? Would I be shooting myself in the foot if I didn't, or would doing so be extraneous?

Anonymous User

Re: UT transfer app is silent on LORs - send anyway?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:33 pm

OP here. Forgot to add, fwiw, that UT presumably still has access to the LORs I submitted through LSAC when I applied last year.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:38 pm

If you have a professor who you believe will write a very positive recommendation, then send it. Otherwise contact UT admissions & ask.

timmyd

Postby timmyd » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:46 pm

I went through the process a couple of years ago, so it may have changed since then, but I just went ahead and sent the two I had. You're not going to lose anything by doing it. If they don't want to read them they just won't, but it can't hurt.

BVest

Postby BVest » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:21 pm

Not required. I sent one because I could get one easily.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:46 pm

OP here. Thanks for the responses.

timmyd and BVest: Did you your profs mail the letters separately, or did you include them in the application packet you submitted? If the latter, were the letters in sealed envelopes?

BVest

Postby BVest » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:57 pm

Separately. That's how they'll feel comfortable doing it (and it saves you from potentially losing some part of your app... plus you can send your app today and the letter can arrive later).

timmyd

Postby timmyd » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:06 pm

Yea what bvest said. I assume they were sealed but I don't know. I just told my prof and employer to send them to the address. This was sufficient for every school I applied to.

DasEggs

Postby DasEggs » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thanks for the responses.

timmyd and BVest: Did you your profs mail the letters separately, or did you include them in the application packet you submitted? If the latter, were the letters in sealed envelopes?

I sent everything in one packet. Professor just signed the envelope and gave it to me. I preferred this way because a) professor can't take forever to write the thing and b) less chance of it getting lost... I have had multiple items that had to be sent separately go missing in the mail or had disappeared on their end.

mandimeoutof10

Postby mandimeoutof10 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:28 pm

I never even noticed that UT didn't require them. I don't know of any UT transfers that didn't submit any but that doesn't answer your questions. However, if you already have em then there's no reason not to send them.

UTTransfer2015

Postby UTTransfer2015 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:56 am

I transferred last year. I sent in one LOR. I just looked up my application, and it doesn't ask for a LOR either. Strange. I don't remember noticing that or thinking anything about it. I'd send in a LOR anyways.

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:59 pm

I don't think they care; they just want your money.

Return to “Transfers”