Will schools know my class rank if it's not listed?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Will schools know my class rank if it's not listed?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:32 pm

I have a 3.69 and my school only gives out rankings for top third and top 15 percent. I might be closer to top 10, but I'm not sure. Will schools be able to tell that I'm closer to top 10 than top 15 just by seeing my gpa, or do I need to list an approximation somewhere? I'm worried that might get me into some trouble if it's perceived as lying on my resume or PS.

Also, is there a way for me to find out if I really am closer to top 10? My school won't tell me - and I'm pretty sure the cut-off for top 15 is 3.6, so I'm really just guessing.

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Re: Will schools know my class rank if it's not listed?

Postby lacrossebrother » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:34 pm

Dude listing top 12% would make you look neurotic

BVest

Postby BVest » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:16 pm

Never list an approximation. Give only objective, verifiable numbers.

3.69 (top 15% at 3.5_).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:46 am

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. I meant I think I'm within the top 10%, perhaps higher - but my school doesn't give out those rankings, and doesn't let us know the cut offs, so I have no way of knowing where in 1%-15% I am. And since they don't release the cut-offs, I unfortunately can't say top 15% at ___ since I don't know it.

Will the schools I'm applying to understand this, will they have knowledge of where my GPA really puts me? I don't want my lack of a specific percentage to hurt my chances when my resume doesn't flat out say top 10%.

BVest

Postby BVest » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:And since they don't release the cut-offs, I unfortunately can't say top 15% at ___ since I don't know it.

Then how do you know you're top 15%? Do they just tell folks individually what bucket (1-15%, 16-33%) they fall in? In that case you're stuck at reporting.

Will the schools I'm applying to understand this, will they have knowledge of where my GPA really puts me? I don't want my lack of a specific percentage to hurt my chances when my resume doesn't flat out say top 10%.

Does your school have a written policy that they only rank at 15 and 33%? If so, include a copy of that.

Otherwise don't worry about it because there's nothing you can do other than report actual verifiable facts. Limited ranking information is not that unusual among schools. It will not be novel to the admissions committee.

felinafelina

Postby felinafelina » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:31 pm

BVest wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:And since they don't release the cut-offs, I unfortunately can't say top 15% at ___ since I don't know it.

Then how do you know you're top 15%? Do they just tell folks individually what bucket (1-15%, 16-33%) they fall in? In that case you're stuck at reporting.

Does your school have a written policy that they only rank at 15 and 33%? If so, include a copy of that.

Otherwise don't worry about it because there's nothing you can do other than report actual verifiable facts. Limited ranking information is not that unusual among schools. It will not be novel to the admissions committee.

Yup, they just tell you what bucket you're in, and there is a policy for only releasing those rankings. Thank you for the advice, I will include a copy.

Return to “Transfers”