Top 10 at T2

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tough_call

Top 10 at T2

Postby tough_call » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:15 pm

I need some advice on whether or not to transfer. I have yet to apply anywhere and am leaning toward staying but want to see what everyone thinks of me leaving for the big regional school (UT) or even trying for a T14. So you know, I want to clerk for a court of appeals after graduating and am aiming for Big Law, which I can probably get at my current school while graduating with $60K less in student loans.

Thoughts on if I should stay or go?

My Stats:
Top 10 percent at a T2 school in a southern state
Full-ride scholarship
Law Review
Moot court
Two federal judicial internships this summer
Several contacts with interested firms in the region (staying put would allow me to better develop those contacts)

chuckbass

Re: Top 10 at T2

Postby chuckbass » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:41 pm

I would transfer considering top 10% shouldn't be safe at a T2 given your goals

sandwhich

Postby sandwhich » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:28 am

Have you applied? You may want to apply soon if you're even on the fence about it. Deadlines are quickly approaching, and the app can take a lot of time depending on how much groundwork you've laid (I.e. Obtaining LoRs).

Anyway, 99% sure I know OP's school. I'd transfer if I were you. It's not an easy call, but I think in the long run you wouldn't regret leaving. You can still do moot court at your new school, and a degree from UT or higher will serve you better than LR from a T2 anyway. Also, you'd likely have the opportunity to write on to LR or a secondary journal at your new school.

Edit: OP, PM me.

BVest

Postby BVest » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:41 am

What kind of placement in BL does your school have? What kind of support is there for clerkships at your old school?

(I won't discuss BL because the numbers are easily comparable, and CSO's are pretty consistent, at least in how they handle their potential BL students).

UT's clerkship program is very strong and is separate from the CSO (where it was sort of shoehorned in at my previous school -- and my previous schools fed clerkship:BL ratio was like 1:10 vs 3 times that at UT). They are extremely helpful in preparing and polishing your applications and also in keeping you informed about different judges' timelines, likes, dislikes, etc.

On the downside, the hiring timeline for COA is advanced relative to the district courts. As a transfer that means you'll not likely be able to compete for some of the early COA hires, taking some of them out of your reach (at least as far as 2017-18 clerkships are concerned). They'll all be back within your reach for 2018-19 though, allowing you to either do a year at a firm or do a district clerkship to fill a gap year if necessary.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:54 pm

Top 10 or Top 10% of your class. If top 10, then what percent is your class rank ? Also, the name of your school may impact advice offered in this thread.

My first reaction was to advise you to stay based on the full scholarship, law review, moot court, close relations with local law firms & two judicial internships, but I really need to know your school in order to feel comfortable with any recommendation.

Also, don't discount the value of recommendations from professors who know you well.

tough_call

Postby tough_call » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:12 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Top 10 or Top 10% of your class. If top 10, then what percent is your class rank ? Also, the name of your school may impact advice offered in this thread.

My first reaction was to advise you to stay based on the full scholarship, law review, moot court, close relations with local law firms & two judicial internships, but I really need to know your school in order to feel comfortable with any recommendation.

Also, don't discount the value of recommendations from professors who know you well.

Just PM'ed you the info. Looking forward to reading your advice!

Return to “Transfers”