Should I apply for transfer?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Should I apply for transfer?

Postby shouldidoit » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:39 pm

Long time poster on TLS here, thought I would ask advice on this since it's been really difficult to get any good information.

I currently go to a T1 Big Ten school, and I have a pretty great scholarship. I hear that it's possible to apply to transfer to other places, and then get offered more money at your current school. I am in the top 40% of my class, so it's unlikely I would be able to crack the T14, but I figured I would apply to Michigan and Northwestern, along with WUSTL and Notre Dame, since those schools are highly competitive with mine.

Then I'd see if my school is willing to negotiate.

I'm a bit conflicted. First as to whether or not it would even work what with my non-spectacular grades. Second as to ethics on the one hand, money on the other.

Let me know what you think.

Re: Should I apply for transfer?

Postby chuckbass » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:16 pm

Ethically this isn't a problem and it only depends on whether it's worth the few hundred dollars and effort to you. You may also want to confirm that your school specifically gives out more $, considering some schools specifically will not.

Return to “Transfers”