Expectations for transfer? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NDOMUKONGGGG

New

Expectations for transfer?

Post by NDOMUKONGGGG » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:28 pm

Long time TLS'r here, and I know this is a stupid question kind of, but I have looked around a bit and just wanted to start a thread.

I'm a little above median at Midwest T20, URM, summer associate at a firm this summer in NYC. What are my odds of transferring into the T14? Thanks in advance!

timmyd

Bronze

Re: Expectations for transfer?

Post by timmyd » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:44 pm

First off, whats the point? You already have an SA gig. Do a good job and they'll likely bring you on for next summer as well. Transferring makes sense in certain situations. For example, those wishing to transfer to HYS for academia purposes, those transferring for personal reasons, those from which getting a good job is impossible or unlikely from current school, and those that go to awful schools and justifiably just want to earn a degree from a top school as opposed to being a rockstar at their current school. You may have personal reasons but aside from those, I don't really see how it will improve your situation.
with respect to your actual question, I assume you go to WUSTL. I have heard of students there in like the top third getting T14, but I really think you need top quarter at least to feel decent about your chances. You, on the other hand, are URM with an SA so that could help you out. Outside of those characteristics I don't think you have the gpa needed to make a transfer, but its possible so throw some apps. If you are on scholarship, i would just stay even if admitted.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:18 pm

Yeah I'd be more interested in whether your 1L firm is considering you for a 2L offer, since I know some diversity programs don't allow for that.

Fwiw URM isn't a boost for transfer admissions from what I've gathered on TLS. With your grades, it seems like people from WUSTL have had success with Michigan and NU.

NDOMUKONGGGG

New

Post by NDOMUKONGGGG » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:29 am

haha, bingo on WUSTL.

Scott, what do you mean whether my firm is considering me for a permanent offer? You think that matters? Why?

Also, my resume etc. screams NYC, worth throwing an app at NYU/Columbia? I know chances are extremely slim with my grades, but is there one of those schools that's more transfer friendly so I can only likely waste $100 and now $200? Yeah I think my chances are pretty slim but I'll probably throw Michigan/NW an app just for fun.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:40 am

If you got a 2L offer from your firm and accepted it, I don't see the point in transferring (well besides STL sucking etc). I just know some firms that take 1Ls don't consider them for an offer, so if you were in that spot then it'd still make sense to transfer for security. Given your grades I personally don't think they're worth the apps but you do you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:07 pm

Apply & see what happens. Then start a new thread regarding whether or not TLS posters think that you should transfer. If you don't try, you'll never know for certain & you may experience long-term regrets.

Georgetown offers need based financial aid to transfers. Michigan & Columbia are very transfer friendly.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:26 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Apply & see what happens. Then start a new thread regarding whether or not TLS posters think that you should transfer. If you don't try, you'll never know for certain & you may experience long-term regrets.

Georgetown offers need based financial aid to transfers. Michigan & Columbia are very transfer friendly.
CLS is transfer friendly (i.e., likely to accept you) if you're in the top 15% at T20, but not median.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:03 pm

Agree. By "transfer friendly" I was referring to OCI & other academic & social factors once one has transferred (and therefore is worth an app).

NDOMUKONGGGG

New

Post by NDOMUKONGGGG » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:42 am

Update:

I asked a partner that I've been working with at my SA here in NYC (smallish firm) to write me a letter in support of my transfer and he said they are "extending me an offer" to return after law school, and without me prompting him, he said he'd said as much in his letter for me. So questions is 1) how, if at all, will my job offer in NYC (which will be on my app through my personal statement and the partner's rec) affect my transfer app?

Question 2: found out this week I made LR. How, if at all, do you think that will affect my transfer app?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:05 am

NDOMUKONGGGG wrote:Update:

I asked a partner that I've been working with at my SA here in NYC (smallish firm) to write me a letter in support of my transfer and he said they are "extending me an offer" to return after law school, and without me prompting him, he said he'd said as much in his letter for me. So questions is 1) how, if at all, will my job offer in NYC (which will be on my app through my personal statement and the partner's rec) affect my transfer app?

Question 2: found out this week I made LR. How, if at all, do you think that will affect my transfer app?
Don't transfer

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:40 am

trebekismyhero wrote:
NDOMUKONGGGG wrote:Update:

Don't transfer

NDOMUKONGGGG

New

Post by NDOMUKONGGGG » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:44 am

Yeah I get that these latest developments offer me really good reasons for not wanting to transfer... but just for the heck of it, how (if at all) do these now developments affect my chances of admission into the T14?

TransferHopeful17

New

Post by TransferHopeful17 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:37 pm

My guess is negligible. They at least know you've been offered a job, so you won't hurt their employment figures, presumably.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:00 pm

NDOMUKONGGGG wrote:Yeah I get that these latest developments offer me really good reasons for not wanting to transfer... but just for the heck of it, how (if at all) do these now developments affect my chances of admission into the T14?

Why not apply to transfer, see what sticks (if anything) and then try to parlay a t-14 acceptance into some extra scholarship money?

OL: So I don't even know if that is possible, but maybe it is. Also, congratulations on the full time job after law schools.

Cerberaus

New

Post by Cerberaus » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:02 pm

It appears that you are having trouble deciding whether or not to transfer law schools. In my opinion, if you are on the fence, you should apply. In one week, the deadline for many schools will be closed. You cannot go back in time and apply; your decision now is irrevocable. At least research schools of interest that have a 1 July deadline, apply now, and decide later if you gain acceptance. Then, do the same for other schools that have a 15 July deadline (Columbia).

It is unlikely that someone can definitively tell you how much these "unique" factors impact your chances of transferring. I use the term "unique" because we all have something of special interest. Just apply, input your results, and forge the way for future 1Ls who have similar stats and may be questioning their ability to transfer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”