Character & Fitness Issue

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Character & Fitness Issue

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:36 pm

I have a character and fitness issue with the transfer applications that I am in the process of filling out. I realize that many of these applications require me to disclose two incidents that occurred during my undergraduate years. However, the problem is that I (stupidly) did NOT disclose these incidents when I originally applied to law school. I would like to disclose these incidents now, but I am afraid that it will come back to haunt me when I apply to the bar.

Both incidents are relatively minor drinking issues. The first involved only a warning for drinking in my dorm room freshman year. The second incident was related to a party and the case against me was dismissed.

What do I do?

trebekismyhero

Re: Character & Fitness Issue

Postby trebekismyhero » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a character and fitness issue with the transfer applications that I am in the process of filling out. I realize that many of these applications require me to disclose two incidents that occurred during my undergraduate years. However, the problem is that I (stupidly) did NOT disclose these incidents when I originally applied to law school. I would like to disclose these incidents now, but I am afraid that it will come back to haunt me when I apply to the bar.

Both incidents are relatively minor drinking issues. The first involved only a warning for drinking in my dorm room freshman year. The second incident was related to a party and the case against me was dismissed.

What do I do?

You can always amend your application before you take the bar. Talk to your current school and amend it now and then include on your transfer applications. These won't keep you from getting accepted via transfer or admitted to the bar. Especially the first one, not sure if you even need to include it, but definitely amend and include the second incident

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:42 pm

Should I amend my applications to the schools that I did not end up matriculating to?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:49 pm

Sorry to bump, but I need an answer!

trebekismyhero

Postby trebekismyhero » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry to bump, but I need an answer!

I am not 100% sure, but I don't think so

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:52 pm

Both read as if they were very minor incidents. Not even sure if the first is worth mentioning unless it was a written warning that was placed in your undergraduate record.

What charge did you face in the second incident which was dismissed ? Was it dismissed by a court or by the dean of students ?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:58 pm

The charge was through the school's Judicial Department. I am not exactly sure what the possible penalty could have been, but it was based on allegedly not cooperating with University Public Safety. It was dismissed by a judicial officer after I explained that I was did not realize what Public Safety needed my cooperation with.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:00 pm

Seems to be very minor stuff. Disclose on your transfer apps & supplement your current law school file so that you can sleep well at night.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:14 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Seems to be very minor stuff. Disclose on your transfer apps & supplement your current law school file so that you can sleep well at night.

Thanks! I will do that. It seems dumb, but those little things really do come back to haunt you. Lesson learned.

Return to “Transfers”