NYU Transfer 2015 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Transfer Troll

New

Re: NYU Transfer 2015

Post by Transfer Troll » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:07 pm

Gamecockfan wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
Gamecockfan wrote:I never thought about this when we have been discussing this. But my rank wasn't out for second semester but my GPA was. So, I gave them first semester GPA rank 3.6/23 and 3.5. Would they wait on that rank or would they make a decision without that? I guess if they would go ahead, my chances might be better than I thought.
How would this make your chances better?
Because they don't have it confirmed that my rank went from 23-37. They just assume it dropped.
This logic is a good indication of how you'll fare. . . take that how you want.

Gamecockfan

New

Post by Gamecockfan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:11 pm

Transfer Troll wrote:
Gamecockfan wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
Gamecockfan wrote:I never thought about this when we have been discussing this. But my rank wasn't out for second semester but my GPA was. So, I gave them first semester GPA rank 3.6/23 and 3.5. Would they wait on that rank or would they make a decision without that? I guess if they would go ahead, my chances might be better than I thought.
Because they don't have it confirmed that my rank went from 23-37. They just assume it dropped.
Yea, assuming that the committee looking at me as rank 23 (top10%) instead of 37(top18%) would improve my chances of getting in is pretty dumb.

Transfer Troll

New

Post by Transfer Troll » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:14 pm

Gamecockfan wrote:
Transfer Troll wrote:
Gamecockfan wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
Yea, assuming that the committee looking at me as rank 23 (top10%) instead of 37(top18%) would improve my chances of get in is pretty dumb.
It's pretty dumb to think that a top 10 law school won't be able to confirm your real rank before they admit a student. Because god knows no one would lie to them about their rank for admission.......oh wait you did.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:15 pm

But your assumption is flawed...

You realize they understand that your GPA drop would go hand in hand with a ranking drop. Just because they don't know your exact ranking doesn't mean they won't estimate it.

Even if you were top 10% don't you go to a TT or TTT? That's not really competitive at the T6 level anyways.

Gamecockfan

New

Post by Gamecockfan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:19 pm

Transfer Troll wrote:
Gamecockfan wrote:
Transfer Troll wrote:
Gamecockfan wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
Yea, assuming that the committee looking at me as rank 23 (top10%) instead of 37(top18%) would improve my chances of get in is pretty dumb.
It's pretty dumb to think that a top 10 law school won't be able to confirm your real rank before they admit a student. Because god knows no one would lie to them about their rank for admission.......oh wait you did.
To trolltard, if you looked at the whole thread, you would notice that I asked if they would wait on finding out the rank. I told them specifically that the rank I gave was not the one for after this semester. There was no lie involved and they haven't asked for my current rank. To Scotti, improvement is relative. My posts clearly indicate that I am saying that my chances are greater than they would be if NYU knew for sure.

Confused as to what you two have misunderstood.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:21 pm

NYU won't accept you if they're unsure. There's a pool of highly qualified applicants and they have no reason to gamble on you. What we're confused about is why you think they would just go off of your first semester rank...

ETA: aren't you required/supposed to update them with your rank once you've gotten them? Since you clearly know your knew rank. They may just not make a decision on your application until you send that in.
Last edited by chuckbass on Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Transfer Troll

New

Post by Transfer Troll » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:22 pm

Gamecockfan wrote:
Transfer Troll wrote:
Gamecockfan wrote:
Transfer Troll wrote:
Gamecockfan wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
To trolltard, if you looked at the whole thread, you would notice that I asked if they would wait on finding out the rank. I told them specifically that the rank I gave was not the one for after this semester. There was no lie involved and they haven't asked for my current rank. To Scotti, improvement is relative. My posts clearly indicate that I am saying that my chances are greater than they would be if NYU knew for sure.

Confused as to what you two have misunderstood.
First off glad I annoyed you. Second off you can update them on your rank and haven't. The fact that you think they would go ahead without receiving your most up to date stats .....

Gamecockfan

New

Post by Gamecockfan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:23 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:NYU won't accept you if they're unsure. There's a pool of highly qualified applicants and they have no reason to gamble on you. What we're confused about is why you think they would just go off of your first semester rank...
So, you couldn't answer my original question as to whether they would wait to review my application? Instead of going through this convoluted process?

Gamecockfan

New

Post by Gamecockfan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:24 pm

First off glad I annoyed you. Second off you can update them on your rank and haven't. The fact that you think they would go ahead without receiving your most up to date stats .....
See point to scotti about original question

edit: Other schools have accepted me without the second semester rank its not that big of an anomaly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:25 pm

Gamecockfan wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:NYU won't accept you if they're unsure. There's a pool of highly qualified applicants and they have no reason to gamble on you. What we're confused about is why you think they would just go off of your first semester rank...
So, you couldn't answer my original question as to whether they would wait to review my application? Instead of going through this convoluted process?
No I mean I can't because I actually don't work at NYU so I don't know for sure and couldn't give you a definitive answer.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:26 pm

Gamecockfan wrote:
See point to scotti about original question

edit: Other schools have accepted me without the second semester rank its not that big of an anomaly.
Sure, but they can do the math and estimate your rank. These other schools didn't just go ahead thinking you were still top 10%.

Gamecockfan

New

Post by Gamecockfan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:23 pm

Deleted what I could going to stop the convo there. If a lot of people have gotten admitted today, they didn't post.

riku33090

Bronze

Post by riku33090 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:27 pm

Dinged.

Gluck guys.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

felinafelina

Bronze

Post by felinafelina » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:32 pm

riku33090 wrote:Dinged.

Gluck guys.
Email? Time? Stats? And sorry to hear that.

riku33090

Bronze

Post by riku33090 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:42 pm

felinafelina wrote:
riku33090 wrote:Dinged.

Gluck guys.
Email? Time? Stats? And sorry to hear that.

Email, 30 mins ago, 18% local school.

Gamecockfan

New

Post by Gamecockfan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:12 pm

So, this will definitely be the most speculative thing we discuss. But any ideas from past forums about how to read a non-ding but non-acceptance today or tomorrow? Are on a wait list basically. We might get accepted but only if the people they want withdraw?

I definitely think it says a little bit because you know your stats aren't such that there's no way they'd accept you. (Sorry riku)

Edit: what I mean is that if you get dinged they wouldn't accept you no matter what happened with their offers. If you don't, maybe they'd take you if those offers aren't accepted.
Last edited by Gamecockfan on Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bmmccb223

Bronze

Post by bmmccb223 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:22 pm

Gamecockfan wrote:So, this will definitely be the most speculative thing we discuss. But any ideas from past forums about how to read a non-ding but non-acceptance today or tomorrow? Are on a wait list basically. We might get accepted but only if the people they want withdraw?

I definitely think it says a little bit because you know your stats aren't such that there's no way they'd accept you. (Sorry riku)

Edit: what I mean is that if you get dinged they wouldn't accept you no matter what happened with their offers. If you don't, maybe they'd take you if those offers aren't accepted.
To be honest I have no idea what you are asking. You're going to have to phrase the question better.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dfg

New

Post by dfg » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:28 pm

bmmccb223 wrote:
Gamecockfan wrote:So, this will definitely be the most speculative thing we discuss. But any ideas from past forums about how to read a non-ding but non-acceptance today or tomorrow? Are on a wait list basically. We might get accepted but only if the people they want withdraw?

To be honest I have no idea what you are asking. You're going to have to phrase the question better.
Lol, yes just a bit convoluted there. Tough to say/speculate. It seemed like this forum didn't blow up with responses (admit or deny) like I thought it would on the day decisions dropped, so perhaps there's a second round to come, yet what's the sense is that? Along the same vein, why not just WL us? Or "hold" us (if that's a softer phrase) like UChi?

Gamecockfan

New

Post by Gamecockfan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:32 pm

dfg wrote:
bmmccb223 wrote:

Lol, yes just a bit convoluted there. Tough to say/speculate. It seemed like this forum didn't blow up with responses (admit or deny) like I thought it would on the day decisions dropped, so perhaps there's a second round to come, yet what's the sense is that? Along the same vein, why not just WL us? Or "hold" us (if that's a softer phrase) like UChi?
What I am trying to say poorly is this: If we were so out of the realm of what they are looking for, then why wouldn't they have denied us today. (caveat of it could happen tomorrow) So, since they didn't deny us, I feel like we can feel like if there is room to accept us that they will when we get there.

I'm trying to say this politely and it is not working.

Edit: I guess basically what I am trying to say is that we meet the bare minimum standard of getting in. They'd rather have other people. But if they can't get them they will take us.

bmmccb223

Bronze

Post by bmmccb223 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:37 pm

Gamecockfan wrote:
dfg wrote:
bmmccb223 wrote:

What I am trying to say poorly is this: If we were so out of the realm of what they are looking for, then why wouldn't they have denied us today. (caveat of it could happen tomorrow) So, since they didn't deny us, I feel like we can feel like if there is room to accept us that they will when we get there.

I'm trying to say this politely and it is not working.
Only thing you can conclude is that you're still in the game. Reading into anything beyond that is just pointless unless you have mastered the art of reading tealeaves.

dfg

New

Post by dfg » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:40 pm

But what fun is an online forum if we can't speculate wildly? I thought we're all following this for the baseless tea leaf reading?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gamecockfan

New

Post by Gamecockfan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:43 pm

dfg wrote:But what fun is an online forum if we can't speculate wildly? I thought we're all following this for the baseless tea leaf reading?
Honestly, the baseless speculation is the only thing making this manageable.

dfg

New

Post by dfg » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:46 pm

Gamecockfan wrote:
dfg wrote:But what fun is an online forum if we can't speculate wildly? I thought we're all following this for the baseless tea leaf reading?
Where are we all planning on going when this doesn't pan out? I'm leaning towards Mich (and hoping to get off the "hold" list at UChi)

bmmccb223

Bronze

Post by bmmccb223 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:47 pm

True, but I honestly can't give any even semi-reliable answer to the previous post. The only thing you can conclude when you are not rejected is that you are not rejected. Who knows what admissions thinks about the people who remain. We could all be rejected tomorrow, or we might see a trickle of acceptances over the next week.

Gamecockfan

New

Post by Gamecockfan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:48 pm

dfg wrote:
Gamecockfan wrote:
Where are we all planning on going when this doesn't pan out? I'm leaning towards Mich (and hoping to get off the "hold" list at UChi)
I'm in at Emory. So, I'll be headed there. Didn't have the money to do more than a few applications. So, I only did NYU, Emory, and UC Irvine as just more of an adventure because it looks like it's in a sweet location.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”