Northwestern Transfer

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DukeofCambridge

Re: Northwestern Transfer

Postby DukeofCambridge » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:35 pm

I think that's a great point Maplecai. This is all rather scientific, we're trying to take a set of data points and come up with some sort of theory that explains them. One counterpoint to your theory is that NW would be creating yield uncertainty for themselves were they to admit applicants in rounds because they would be unsure of how many of their early admits would be going somewhere else.

At this point, I think the most likely explanation is that there is a lot of uncertainty at these schools, in contrast to years past, there are some schools that are still considering applicants (whereas last year, this school had ended their cycle at this point already).

bmmccb223

Postby bmmccb223 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:05 pm

maplecai wrote:
DukeofCambridge wrote:I think the lower T-14 are waiting for Harvard/Columbia/NYU to release their decisions, between those 3 schools, that's roughly 160 students that would have also gotten in anywhere lower-ranked. Once H/C/N release their decisions, then we should see movement rather quickly, in time to meet bidding deadlines.

This is a good point.
As for the application pool, I believe quite the opposite, that is there are not enough applicants this cycle compared with previous years. If there is a big pool of applicants flooding in from the beginning, they would certainly release the results in several rounds. That is a natural way to balance heavy workload.

I did not submit my application until June 28 and received admission's email the next day reminding me of the deadline and the required materials missing from my file. I think it is a sign of them carefully tracking every incoming application to the last day because there are not enough of them...

This is a good point but it doesn't address the fact that there have been some surprising WL/rejections this year at several schools that have reported early. If there were fewer applicants, you would expect to see stat cutoffs either remain the same or become less competitive. Of course, all of this is pretty speculative.

DukeofCambridge

Postby DukeofCambridge » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:23 pm

But where have those WL/Rejections come from? GULC and Berkeley, right? Those are the only T-14 to have released all or significantly all their decisions thus far, correct?

GULC has the most difficult task of all because it takes such a large transfer class. It has to deal with a huge amount of uncertainty in terms of how many of its admits will jump ship. Given that, what they likely did was to admit the auto-admits(who may well have higher-ranked options eventually, in part to get the deposit $$$) and WL everyone else until they see how the cycle shakes out with the rest of the T-14. At Berkeley, they probably have a much more rigid process and, in response to uncertainty, simply decided to draw flat GPA/Rankings thresholds at the schools they usually admit from(Hastings, etc) and take their transfers from there. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we haven't yet seen a huge amount of admits yet, right? I still think once H/C/NYU admit their classes, we'll see a cascade of admissions on down the rankings as the transfer classes shake out.

bmmccb223

Postby bmmccb223 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:29 pm

Yeah I was talking mostly about Berkeley and GULC. We'll see how it pans out in the next few days I guess.

lawsohard3

Postby lawsohard3 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:04 pm

Has anyone who submitted their application within the last two weeks of the deadline received a interview request?

w7ldcard

Postby w7ldcard » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:10 pm

lawsohard3 wrote:Has anyone who submitted their application within the last two weeks of the deadline received a interview request?

I submitted mine on the 16th and got an interview

DaysToGo

Postby DaysToGo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:22 pm

lawsohard3 wrote:Has anyone who submitted their application within the last two weeks of the deadline received a interview request?

I submitted the weekend before the deadline and received a request to interview on 6/30, and interviewed last week.

tstudent2015

Postby tstudent2015 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:31 pm

Those who have gotten interviews recently, do you mind posting your stats?

tstudent2015

Postby tstudent2015 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:33 pm

tstudent2015 wrote:Those who have gotten interviews recently, do you mind posting your stats?

Or private message me.

jwall

Postby jwall » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:07 pm

Is it a bad sign if you haven't received an interview request? Submitted my app on the 19th and haven't gotten a request.

bmmccb223

Postby bmmccb223 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:21 pm

If you read through the thread, you'll see that a lot of people have not received interview requests. It's hard to say whether it is a "bad sign" but you are not alone.

lawsohard3

Postby lawsohard3 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:22 pm

jwall wrote:Is it a bad sign if you haven't received an interview request? Submitted my app on the 19th and haven't gotten a request.

Honestly not sure, but it seems as if either NW is really backed up this year, maybe due to a lot of people submitting closer to the deadline, or they are just not interviewing every submission this year as they have in the past...

w7ldcard

Postby w7ldcard » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:31 pm

I could see them sending out another round of interview requests after the first round of acceptance goes out.

Luchi91

Postby Luchi91 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:00 pm

I submitted July 1st but my transcript and letter of good standing weren't received until today.
My applications for NU and Loyola Chicago became complete today, so I am expecting a delayed response.
Just grateful they still accepted my application.

retirethecows

Postby retirethecows » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:32 pm

Does anyone have anything written for "Decision Status Date"?

w7ldcard

Postby w7ldcard » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:35 pm

retirethecows wrote:Does anyone have anything written for "Decision Status Date"?

nothing for me.

bmmccb223

Postby bmmccb223 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:49 pm

Nope.

goldgirl786

Postby goldgirl786 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:11 pm

Sick of this shit. Apologize for the language, but C'MON!

YungLuck

Postby YungLuck » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:51 pm

Last edited by YungLuck on Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SowhatsNU

Postby SowhatsNU » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:36 pm

Hey all! Hope this helps avert some of your anxiety, I got an email today requesting an interview and I politely declined, hope this means more acceptances for you guys!

Best of luck!!!

w7ldcard

Postby w7ldcard » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:38 pm

SowhatsNU wrote:Hey all! Hope this helps avert some of your anxiety, I got an email today requesting an interview and I politely declined, hope this means more acceptances for you guys!

Best of luck!!!

Mind sharing what was the last date you could interview with them?

SowhatsNU

Postby SowhatsNU » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:44 pm

He just asked what times I'd be available tomorrow. Seems like they're pressed for time?

w7ldcard

Postby w7ldcard » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:47 pm

SowhatsNU wrote:He just asked what times I'd be available tomorrow. Seems like they're pressed for time?

Oh cool thanks for the info, that's a good sign I would assume. When I got the interview request I was given time slots I could choose from. Might mean that decisions are coming out soon.

tstudent2015

Postby tstudent2015 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:08 pm

I also got an interview request and they gave me dates up until next Friday. Maybe they will give out some acceptances soon, but it sounds like they are still going through applications.

Luchi91

Postby Luchi91 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:03 am

YungLuck wrote:
Luchi91 wrote:I submitted July 1st but my transcript and letter of good standing weren't received until today.
My applications for NU and Loyola Chicago became complete today, so I am expecting a delayed response.
Just grateful they still accepted my application.

I'm in the same boat. Good luck and Go Heat!!

Heat? Go Spurs!
Wish ya well

Return to “Transfers”