GULC RD Transfer Thread 2015

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
amglanyc

Re: GULC RD Transfer Thread 2015

Postby amglanyc » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:47 pm

Why would you give all of that up? What is the gain?

registering

Postby registering » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:49 pm

^You'd probably end up with that many interviews at GULC too. Is your old school preselect? If it's more preselect than GULC's, you're probably more capable of flipping screeners into CBs than a lottery system.

xmking07

Postby xmking07 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:58 pm

registering wrote:^You'd probably end up with that many interviews at GULC too. Is your old school preselect? If it's more preselect than GULC's, you're probably more capable of flipping screeners into CBs than a lottery system.

Its preselect. However, since today is GULC's OCI bidding cutoff, if i do get in, which i haven't yet, i'd miss it and give up my interviews here, a few of which are with v100 offices.

we have a separate interview program i've bid into, but haven't heard back yet on those.

I think i'd be crazy to give these up for basically nothing at this point. just wanted validation.

milliken834

Postby milliken834 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:58 pm

xmking07 wrote:Quick question, pretty sure of the answer already though.

I've got at least 14 OCI scheduled interviews at my current school (t20), possibly more forthcoming. Rank is near the school's cutoff for biglaw, secondary journal invite, some small awards/involvement, half tuition scholarship. Think it would be a bad move to transfer to GULC (if admitted, don't know yet but their EIW bidding ends today so i'd be giving up my interviews from my old school)? gut feeling is yes.

I don't see how the move would be beneficial to you. The shift is only minimal, and it can really hurt you without EIW. You would have to focus primarily on mass-mailing. Additionally, I don't think it is a great move to turn down a half scholarship at a T20 for no shot at EIW/OCI at T14.

registering wrote:^You'd probably end up with that many interviews at GULC too. Is your old school preselect? If it's more preselect than GULC's, you're probably more capable of flipping screeners into CBs than a lottery system.

EIW closes today, so he/she would not be able to get any interviews at GULC.

felinafelina

Postby felinafelina » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:03 pm

Sorry, what makes you think GULC EIW bidding ends today? I was accepted and did my bids and they were due July 8th. :?

registering

Postby registering » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:10 pm

My bad, I thought he was envisioning the unlikely scenario that he'd be admitted today and be able to bid intelligently before the deadline. Even then, I'd probably say it's a bad idea given how many preselect screeners you have, so I'd definitely agree that it's a waste at this point. The only other things GULC has right now are resume collects and a "midlaw interview program" which are probably no better than mass mailing at this point.

xmking07

Postby xmking07 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:10 pm

felinafelina wrote:Sorry, what makes you think GULC EIW bidding ends today? I was accepted and did my bids and they were due July 8th. :?

lottery bidding ends today.

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/careers/For-Transfers.cfm
(early interview week #2. A bit more than halfway down the page)

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:13 pm

xmking07 wrote:
felinafelina wrote:Sorry, what makes you think GULC EIW bidding ends today? I was accepted and did my bids and they were due July 8th. :?

lottery bidding ends today.

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/careers/For-Transfers.cfm
(early interview week #2. A bit more than halfway down the page)

Ah ok, I was also confused. The July 8th deadline is for preselects though, which is 30% of the interviews, however I'm not sure if transfers would even get many preselects.

ILL18

Postby ILL18 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:32 pm

I also submitted July 8 - btw does anyone know when we find out which firms we have interviews with?

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:34 pm

ILL18 wrote:I also submitted July 8 - btw does anyone know when we find out which firms we have interviews with?

Latest email says next week.

amw5471

Postby amw5471 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:45 am

I was told to join the party in here because I mostly lurk. I am on the waitlist and will probably end up waiting it out just so I can say I go to Georgetown. But I also acknowledge that the waitlist is a nasty tease.

amglanyc

Postby amglanyc » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:30 am

I feel it in my bones -- today is the day we all get on board the GULC raft and a huge wave of acceptances sweeps us into the T14. :lol: :wink:

Wouldliketotransfer2

Postby Wouldliketotransfer2 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:07 pm

amglanyc wrote:I feel it in my bones -- today is the day we all get on board the GULC raft and a huge wave of acceptances sweeps us into the T14. :lol: :wink:

lol you think? I think if it is true they did not want us in OCI then we should have some responses by the end of this week

felinafelina

Postby felinafelina » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:52 pm

Good luck everyone, I just withdrew my app (attending NYU) so hopefully that opens up a spot for someone else!

Wouldliketotransfer2

Postby Wouldliketotransfer2 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:24 pm

felinafelina wrote:Good luck everyone, I just withdrew my app (attending NYU) so hopefully that opens up a spot for someone else!

Congrats! So happy for you! We all kept telling you that you were going to get accepted!

felinafelina

Postby felinafelina » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:05 pm

Wouldliketotransfer2 wrote:
felinafelina wrote:Good luck everyone, I just withdrew my app (attending NYU) so hopefully that opens up a spot for someone else!

Congrats! So happy for you! We all kept telling you that you were going to get accepted!

Thank you! Hopefully you all hear back soon!

TTtop13pct

Postby TTtop13pct » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:17 am

I just don't understand how Gtown can be so picky with admits when it seems everyone with just marginally better stats than me is getting CCN

lawman84

Postby lawman84 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:47 am

TTtop13pct wrote:I just don't understand how Gtown can be so picky with admits when it seems everyone with just marginally better stats than me is getting CCN

GULC really hasn't been and it doesn't seem like CCN has been taking people with marginally better stats. From what I've noticed, the people getting in from T2 are in or around the top 5%.

Not trying to belittle your accomplishments, though.

TTtop13pct

Postby TTtop13pct » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:08 am

lawman84 wrote:
TTtop13pct wrote:I just don't understand how Gtown can be so picky with admits when it seems everyone with just marginally better stats than me is getting CCN

GULC really hasn't been and it doesn't seem like CCN has been taking people with marginally better stats. From what I've noticed, the people getting in from T2 are in or around the top 5%.

No offense taken, I don't take these numbers personally.

I know multiple classmates with .05 higher gpa than me and were waitlisted by gtown and in at NYU. This is corroborated with what I've seen on these boards. Top 5% from a TT is not requirement for CCN, rather its a lock.

registering

Postby registering » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:40 am

TTtop13pct wrote:
lawman84 wrote:

No offense taken, I don't take these numbers personally.

I know multiple classmates with .05 higher gpa than me and were waitlisted by gtown and in at NYU. This is corroborated with what I've seen on these boards. Top 5% from a TT is not requirement for CCN, rather its a lock.

It seems a lot of the people who got into C+N from TTs are coming from NYC. Those schools definitely seem to poach the local schools first. GULC does the same from the likes of American and George Mason. You might just not get that local boost that others get.

Also, TT is an enormous category and it sometimes doesn't make sense to lump schools into tiers like that. Certainly I don't think an adcom will view a school ranked 99 much differently from a school ranked 101. The rankings of these schools is so fluid that it can make sense for law schools to favor geography or something of that sort instead.

amglanyc

Postby amglanyc » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:54 pm

I feel like it might be over. I expected a much more active process. :?

w7ldcard

Postby w7ldcard » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:57 pm

amglanyc wrote:I feel like it might be over. I expected a much more active process. :?

Tomorrow or bust imo

amglanyc

Postby amglanyc » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:03 pm

I had an exchange with the school earlier this week and it did not seem like there was any reason to expect any movement whatsoever.

Do they ever reject from the waitlist? Or, do we just remain in the limbo until it is clear that transfer is impossible -- like we are a week into fall classes? :?

milliken834

Postby milliken834 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:06 pm

amglanyc wrote:I had an exchange with the school earlier this week and it did not seem like there was any reason to expect any movement whatsoever.

What did they say?

amglanyc

Postby amglanyc » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:10 pm

That they were not aware of any upcoming movement.

Return to “Transfers”