What are my chances?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What are my chances?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:28 pm

Just finished 1L in top 3% at school ranked between 20 and 30. Have a couple of years of work experience. What are my chances for transfer admission to Harvard, Penn, and Duke?

CanadianWolf

Re: What are my chances?

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:46 pm

In, in & in, in my opinion.

sandwhich

Postby sandwhich » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:57 pm

Do you have particular reasons for only targeting those schools? All of CCN is on the table also IMO

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:52 pm

Columbia and NYU are out for me because I really don't want to live in NY. And I didn't really consider Chicago because I'd prefer to be on the east coast.

The other question is whether I should transfer as I'm on a very significant scholarship to my current school. I likely will graduate with less than $40K in total debt if I stay put. I know Harvard offers need-based aid, but even with that I'm looking at probably $100K+ easily if I transfer. I'm interested in primarily in transactional work: M&A, venture capital, etc. It would be awesome to end up in-house eventually. Big Law seems like a necessary evil for a few years, but not something I'm particularly excited about. Let me know if I can provide any more info.

Longtimecoming19

Postby Longtimecoming19 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just finished 1L in top 3% at school ranked between 20 and 30. Have a couple of years of work experience. What are my chances for transfer admission to Harvard, Penn, and Duke?

Pretty good.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:39 am

BU ? Wm & Mary ? Regardless, if you want a career in venture capital, my best guess is that Harvard would be a wise move regardless of cost. Penn if allowed to do coursework at Wharton or, at least, make connections with Wharton MBA candidates.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:14 pm

Dude. Get over your desire to not live in NY. Columbia places more folks in BigLaw Corporate & Transactional than any other school, so not applying there because you don't want to live in the city is a fool's choice, statistically.

You're chances are very good at CLS, but HLS is no guarantee. CLS would make a good safety (and CLS has way better employment numbers than HLS but I understand that strive for preftige & such)

Return to “Transfers”