UT or UW?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ezjojo30

UT or UW?

Postby ezjojo30 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:42 am

Hey guys,

Rank isn't out yet but I am most likely in the 15-20% range at Seattle U (T3) and I am looking at transferring. I have ties in Washington, and wouldn't mind staying to practice in Seattle, but am open to most major markets. I realize biglaw isn't likely given my stats at this point, but it is the goal regardless. I feel pretty good about getting into UW. They took 18 transfers last year 7 of which were from Seattle U. Just wanted your guys' input on my perceived chances of getting into UW or UT with my stats and any other realistic possibilities I should be aiming for.
Last edited by ezjojo30 on Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BVest

Re: UT or UW?

Postby BVest » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:00 pm

ezjojo30 wrote:Hey guys,

Rank isn't out yet but I am most likely in the 15-20% range at Seattle U (T3) and I am looking at transferring. I am working this summer for the WA AGO's office and I have ties in Washington, and wouldn't mind staying to practice in Seattle, but am open to most major markets. I realize biglaw isn't likely given my stats at this point, but it is the goal regardless. I feel pretty good about getting into UW. They took 13 transfers last year 7 of which were from Seattle U. Just wanted your guys' input on my perceived chances of getting into UW or UT with my stats and any other realistic possibilities I should be aiming for.

I assume by UT you mean Texas, though that's fairly non-sequitur from everything else in this post.

Your chances at UT are slim to none. You'd have a lot better chance (but still less than 50/50) if your personal story relates to Texas (and I don't mean "I went to Austin City Limits Festival and had a lot of fun one year").

As for UW, I can't speak specifically, but look, you're at Seattle U, and the 7 transfers from last year to UW came from there... somebody knows who they are. Talk to the 2Ls that you know and find out if that was like the entire top 5% that transferred out our if those were folks outside 10%. (Also, the 509 data for GPAs for UW transfers might actually be informative since more than half of those are Seattle U).

ezjojo30

Postby ezjojo30 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:09 pm

Thanks for the info. I do have some ties to texas as it is my mom's alma matter. Additionally the UW 509 gpa's for transfers put me >75%. Do you really think my chances are negligible at texas? SU was ranked 83rd last year and just recently dropped 30 spots to 110+ I am not sure how big of a consideration that is.

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:35 pm

transferring to UT would be a terrible idea here even if you were actually capable of it.

BVest

Postby BVest » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:26 pm

ezjojo30 wrote:Thanks for the info. I do have some ties to texas as it is my mom's alma matter.

That makes her one of millions if you mean undergrad or tens of thousands if you mean the law school. That's not a tie that brings someone from Seattle U to UT.

timmyd

Postby timmyd » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:44 pm

Checking on these things on breaks from bar prep....
Yea, I agree with Bvest and Traynor on this one. Think your chances are around 10-20% admit and even then, you arnt getting anything at oci. If you truly want to work in Texas and are ok with a probable smallish law job, can't hurt to throw an app. The applicants I've been seeing so far on TLS, from ttt's at least, are not much higher ranked than you. However, they come from Texas schools which I think will be critical. The reason being that its more likely these kids will be able to use their Texas ties in the job hunt, which could be important. I didn't really have Texas ties when I transferred from a TTT but was ranked pretty high in my class. Moreover, my year was somewhat strange. Throw an app but don't expect much.

BVest

Postby BVest » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:35 am

timmyd wrote:I didn't really have Texas ties when I transferred from a TTT but was ranked pretty high in my class. Moreover, my year was somewhat strange.

Don't underestimate the extent to which Texans look favorably on our neighboring brethren, rivalries notwithstanding.

Return to “Transfers”