Transfer Options?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mp2306

Transfer Options?

Postby mp2306 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:04 pm

Hey guys just wanted some opinions. I go to St. Marys Law finished 1L in top 15%, Law Review, President of IP law association, Summer Associate position.
Looking to Transfer Schools with better Patent Law opportunities. Applying to UT, SMU, University of Houston, Georgetown, BU, BC, George Mason and Loyola in Chicago. What do you think chances are.

Other considerations are I have Bachelors in Biomedical Engineering with Master's in Cognitive Neuroscience from UT.

timmyd

Re: Transfer Options?

Postby timmyd » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:10 pm

Likely admit at UH, SMU assuming those schools take decent number of students. Also in at loyola chicago. Out everywhere else.

timmyd

Postby timmyd » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:12 pm

edit:
You having a summer associate position may help you a little bit because schools won't have to worry about you hurting employment. With the SA, I would say your odds increase and its worth throwing an app at all schools listed. That said, I still don't think you get UT or Gtown here.

mp2306

Postby mp2306 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:14 pm

Yea thats kind of what I've been thinking. Also have taken and passed the patent bar.

timmyd

Postby timmyd » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:19 pm

The SA and having passed the patent bar make it reasonable to assume that you might outperform your numbers. This is why I think you should throw out the apps. Understand, however, that transfer apps are a numbers game. From St. Mary's, what were looking for with respect to t-20 schools is top 5-10% and regional ties (which you have for UT) for the t14 schools, I don't think regional ties come up at all.

mp2306

Postby mp2306 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:22 pm

Yea that is what I'm crossing my fingers for. Most of my family is from Austin and went to UT and I grew up there so hoping that helps as well.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:15 pm

OP: Did/does your law review require a write-on component ? Or was your class standing enough to get you placed on law review ?

A solid writing sample could help with transfer admissions.

Because it your career goal is clear & because you've taken concrete steps along that path, I think that you may be admitted to all of the schools on your transfer list. Also, if you're a URM, then you should also try for a lower T-14 school.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mp2306

Postby mp2306 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:18 pm

It was a write on that I was accepted to.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:22 pm

Great. I think that should help your transfer applications. Good luck !

P.S. Don't sell yourself short. Try for Michigan & Cornell. You only have one shot at transferring.

Apply to George Washington (GWU) University as well.

I just reread your initial post. With a masters degree as well as an undergraduate STEM degree, you should apply to several T-14s, in my opinion. You have a lot to offer & have proven that "you get it" regarding law school reasoning. Duke also.

mp2306

Postby mp2306 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:42 pm

Thank you for the kind words! I'll look at those schools as well. I have about 7 years of research experience(through undergrad and graduate school) with various labs studying epilepsy and alzheimers so I'm hoping to work on medical patents.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:45 pm

Northwestern & Columbia also should be targets. Your resume is very strong. Why would any school reject you as a transfer applicant ?

Re: Transfer law students. Michigan & Columbia seem to be excellent at handling transfer students in all respects.

mp2306

Postby mp2306 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:52 pm

Thank you for the information. I've really been just researching schools on my own so it all is overwhelming at times.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:58 pm

You're in a great position due to your law school success & your extensive background experience which is related to your preferred field of law. You should be able to secure a position in IP law even from your current school as evidenced by your 1L summer placement.

As a transfer, cost of attendance is typically a major concern because scholarships are usually limited to incoming first year students. Georgetown, maybe GWU, and Harvard, Yale & Stanford all offer need based financial aid to all students including transfers. Of course, in-state tuition at Texas state supported law schools should also be reasonable regarding COA.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:37 pm

I'm sorry but someone not in the top 10% at a TTT is not going to get into Michigan, Columbia, Northwestern, or Cornell. Just not gonna happen.

Return to “Transfers”