Worth it to transfer with a ~4.0 from a CCN?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Worth it to transfer with a ~4.0 from a CCN?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 31, 2015 4:49 pm

My problem is I don't have any real career goals in mind, and my scholarship at my current school isn't that great. I hope I'd get some decent need-based aid though, if I transfer to a HYS, given how poor I am. I don't mind moving, and I'd like to have some different options available to me once I graduate. Going to Y would seem like a no-brainer, if I can swing it, but are HS worth it for someone in my position?

kaiser

Re: Worth it to transfer with a ~4.0 from a CCN?

Postby kaiser » Sun May 31, 2015 4:58 pm

I would absolutely stay. A 4.0 from CCN and you are absolutely golden going into OCI. You can literally have your pick of the very best firms, and those grades will stay with you going forward. MUCH better to be top of your class at CCN than just an average grad from H. Keep in mind that, when you transfer, your GPA is wiped clean and there is no guarantee that you will have the same academic success. I wouldn't chance it.

With a 4.0 from CCN, there is literally no door that is closed to you that transferring would open up. You have already won the game. Now just enjoy the ride.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

But the $$$$! Can I harass my current school into upping my scholarship? Does that work?

Postby 2014 » Sun May 31, 2015 5:09 pm

I'd be stunned if Columbia or NYU gave you anything in response to a threat to transfer.

If I were you, I'd throw out applications and see if there's anyway to get your financial aid decision before making a decision. It will cost you LR and potentially some clerkship opportunities, but depending on your goals that might actually be a paternalistic favor to you. I doubt that you lose enough opportunities from the reset to not make the marginal prestige upgrade and potential (large?) cost savings not offset it by a large margin. If it comes down to no real savings I'd stay put though.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sun May 31, 2015 5:58 pm

You would be borderline crazy to transfer, no matter the money situation.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun May 31, 2015 6:06 pm

Have you thought about your transfer essay ? What reasons do you have for wanting to transfer to Yale, Stanford or Harvard ? Hopefully this will help answer your question as to whether or not its worthwhile to transfer.

Also, I think that you would get better responses, certainly more detailed, if you identified your current school. (If uncomfortable identifying your current law school, then just share whether it begins with a "C" or an "N", and whether or not it's located in NYC.)

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sun May 31, 2015 6:45 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Also, I think that you would get better responses, certainly more detailed, if you identified your current school. (If uncomfortable identifying your current law school, then just share whether it begins with a "C" or an "N", and whether or not it's located in NYC.)

"If uncomfortable with IDing your current school, ID your current school." Lol.

Anyways, send out applications to HYS and see what the money situation is. If you don't benefit financially from a transfer, seems prudent to stay put.

Postby 2014 » Sun May 31, 2015 6:54 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Have you thought about your transfer essay ? What reasons do you have for wanting to transfer to Yale, Stanford or Harvard ? Hopefully this will help answer your question as to whether or not its worthwhile to transfer.

Also, I think that you would get better responses, certainly more detailed, if you identified your current school. (If uncomfortable identifying your current law school, then just share whether it begins with a "C" or an "N", and whether or not it's located in NYC.)

It's CLS or NYU, UChi 1Ls haven't taken finals yet and there is no real 4.0 equivalent GPA here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 31, 2015 7:08 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:You would be borderline crazy to transfer, no matter the money situation.

I thought so at first, too. But why? As far as I can tell my job opportunities will be identical (since my 1L GPA will be used at OCI), and I'll probably save like $40k. I'm having trouble seeing what would make it crazy, aside from the slight inconvenience.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun May 31, 2015 7:11 pm

OP: One aspect to think about is with respect to references--especially if thinking about a federal clerkship.

Another area of concern is law review.

Also, OP, why is Yale a "no-brainer" ? Answering this may help determine whether transferring to any of H, Y or S is a good move.

If you want opportunities to work overseas/abroad, then Harvard might make sense.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Sun May 31, 2015 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Sun May 31, 2015 7:17 pm

2014 wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Have you thought about your transfer essay ? What reasons do you have for wanting to transfer to Yale, Stanford or Harvard ? Hopefully this will help answer your question as to whether or not its worthwhile to transfer.

It's CLS or NYU, UChi 1Ls haven't taken finals yet and there is no real 4.0 equivalent GPA here.

clearly OP has a 186 average

I actually feel like this might be the one situation where it could make sense to try - if you can reduce the debt load that's a pretty worthwhile pursuit. I doubt your current school would increase your award. But I don't see a huge amount of harm in trying the waters and seeing what HYS give you. The worst that could really happen is some burned bridges at your current school, and it doesn't seem like you have specific goals (DC Cir, etc) that necessitate staying and milking dat clerkship goodwill. I mean, don't underestimate that. If you're toward the top of your class at CCN, people will reach out to help you with those things - they make a ton of effort to get everyone at the top of the class landed in good spots. If you don't really care about chasing prestige, your current standing will basically ensure strong OCI results - which are much less dependent on professor/adminstration support. The rosy path just may not be as laid out for you, though I would be surprised if clerkship folks at any of CCN would be petty enough to deny support for a top-of-the-class student and jeopardize their #s going forward.

Kaiser's point is definitely true that your previous record will be wiped clean. But I'd be surprised if a 4.0 from CCN doesn't have the capability of continuing to do well at HYS. Obviously 2LOL is a thing and you wouldn't be able to relax as much as if you'd stayed--where you could basically joke around and still grad w/ honors--so another year of pressure might stink. But, IMO that'd be worthwhile if you can wrangle a substantial scholly increase.

Just my 2c.

CanadianWolf wrote:Another area of concern is law review.

Yea but fuck law review.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 31, 2015 7:19 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:OP: One aspect to think about is with respect to references--especially if thinking about a federal clerkship.

Another area of concern is law review.

Also, OP, why is Yale a "no-brainer" ? Answering this may help determine whether transferring to any of H, Y or S is a good move.

I figured Yale would be a pretty easy choice on account of their placement for clerkships/academia (I'm not like super-interested, but what if I become interested, y'know?), and because they allow you to write-on to LR as a transfer at the end of summer (I think Stanford does this too, but not Harvard).

I don't have the best references from my current school anyways, given the large class sizes. I also never felt like I had anything worth asking the professors about.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun May 31, 2015 7:23 pm

Once you start sending out transfer apps & transcripts, you should get some additional attention from the law school dean outlining the benefits of staying at NYU/Columbia.

In short, apply but make sure to write-on for law review at your current school.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Sun May 31, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smaug

Postby smaug » Sun May 31, 2015 7:24 pm

I'd be very surprised if CLS or NYU had all of their grades out yet, either.

But if not flame (1) congrats (2) apply and see what happens? You can get a superlative outcome from CCN. You just need to decide what you want, exactly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 31, 2015 7:24 pm

Hey man, CLS has large class sizes too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 31, 2015 7:28 pm

Jason Taverner wrote:I'd be very surprised if CLS or NYU had all of their grades out yet, either.

But if not flame (1) congrats (2) apply and see what happens? You can get a superlative outcome from CCN. You just need to decide what you want, exactly.

I've got all but one back, but I can't imagine a scenario in which I fucked up THAT badly in it.

Anyways, thanks for all the advice guys. I appreciate it. I'm still not too sure, but a few hundred $$$ to take a shot won't kill me.

Longtimecoming19

Postby Longtimecoming19 » Sun May 31, 2015 7:41 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Once you start sending out transfer apps & transcripts, you should get some additional attention from the law school dean outlining the benefits of staying at NYU/Columbia.

In short, apply but make sure to write-on for law review at your current school.

I transferred from a CCN and the dean/administration made no attempt whatsoever to get me to stay. Whatever, the feeling was mutual.

smaug

Postby smaug » Sun May 31, 2015 7:43 pm

Longtimecoming19 wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Once you start sending out transfer apps & transcripts, you should get some additional attention from the law school dean outlining the benefits of staying at NYU/Columbia.

I transferred from a CCN and the dean/administration made no attempt whatsoever to get me to stay. Whatever, the feeling was mutual.

You also very publicly made a stink that impacted multiple student groups.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun May 31, 2015 7:44 pm

Interesting. Am I correct, however, in assuming that OP with a 4.0 is in the top 1% at NYU/Columbia ? And your class rank ? Was it a good move for you ?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 31, 2015 7:52 pm

I am also obviously interested in your experience, Longtimecoming.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sun May 31, 2015 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:You would be borderline crazy to transfer, no matter the money situation.

I thought so at first, too. But why? As far as I can tell my job opportunities will be identical (since my 1L GPA will be used at OCI), and I'll probably save like $40k. I'm having trouble seeing what would make it crazy, aside from the slight inconvenience.

Because you are like in the top 1% at CCN! Just think about that. You can either be that, or you can trade it in to be some random transfer at Y.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Sun May 31, 2015 10:02 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Because you are like in the top 1% at CCN! Just think about that. You can either be that, or you can trade it in to be some random transfer at Y.

So... just because IT'S AWESOME??!!?!

OP, follow the money. If you get a better deal by transferring, take it.

I finished up 1L in the top 5% at CCN. It's pretty cool I guess. I'd much rather have less debt, though. I'm not going to have to work any fewer years to pay off the $$$ being highly-ranked at CCN compared to median-bro at HYS. Who cares about the success-boner.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 31, 2015 10:40 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think part of what motivates me is my competitive nature. On some level, I'd like to see how well I'd do at a HYS. Obviously, that'd be a pretty dumb reason to go, but still.

Longtimecoming19

Postby Longtimecoming19 » Sun May 31, 2015 11:46 pm

OP, I made the CCN>>HYS shuffle last year. PM me and I'll answer any questions I can. Long story short: one year later, I'm very happy with the decision I made and have never regretted it once.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:51 pm

-

Return to “Transfers”