Page 1 of 1

Transfer T1 to T1 with low grade for geographical reasons? Help!

Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:49 pm
by Anonymous User
Hello,

I am attending one of T1 schools in East Coast and would like to transfer into another T1 school in CA which is ranked a bit higher than my current school (10 ranks higher) I am thinking about transfering for geographical reasons.

I am very disappointed at my final grades: cumulatively it is 3.0 and for the second semester, it is 2.X. But my work experience in business consulting played strongly in favor of me when I got into law school (my LSAT was at the bottom 20%) and got a summer associate job at a local prestigious law firm as a 1L. Especially the law firm likes the fact that I am business savvy and can see the big picture.

My question is whether I have a chance to transfer into another law school that is ranked higher than my school with such a low grade?

Not sure if this is relevant...I am not URM but an international student.

Re: Transfer T1 to T1 with low grade?

Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:53 pm
by POTUSorSCOTUS
Anonymous User wrote:Hello,

I am attending one of T1 schools in East Coast and would like to transfer into another T1 school in CA which is ranked a bit higher than my current school (10 ranks higher)

I am very disappointed at my final grades: cumulatively it is 3.0 and for the second semester, it is 2.X. But my work experience in business consulting played strongly in favor of me when I got into law school (my LSAT was at the bottom 20%) and got a summer associate job at a local prestigious law firm as a 1L. Especially the law firm likes the fact that I am business savvy and can see the big picture.

My question is whether I have a chance to transfer into another law school that is ranked higher than my school with such a low grade?

Not sure if this is relevant...I am not URM but an international student.


You could likely transfer, which could be beneficial since you would get to "re-do" your GPA. If your 1L SA "local" firm would give you a 2L offer (or post-grad offer) regardless of whether you transfer, I'd transfer - but if the local firm wants local students, you might want to not transfer. However, the local firm might not want local students with "bad" GPAs. I'd recommend asking an associate/partner who you developed a relationship with at the local firm whether the firm would care if you transferred to another school and then I'd ask the hiring partner what they have in mind for you for 2L summer. Depending on their responses, you can make a better decision.