Transfer T1 to T1 with low grade for geographical reasons? Help! Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transfer T1 to T1 with low grade for geographical reasons? Help!

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 31, 2015 2:49 pm

Hello,

I am attending one of T1 schools in East Coast and would like to transfer into another T1 school in CA which is ranked a bit higher than my current school (10 ranks higher) I am thinking about transfering for geographical reasons.

I am very disappointed at my final grades: cumulatively it is 3.0 and for the second semester, it is 2.X. But my work experience in business consulting played strongly in favor of me when I got into law school (my LSAT was at the bottom 20%) and got a summer associate job at a local prestigious law firm as a 1L. Especially the law firm likes the fact that I am business savvy and can see the big picture.

My question is whether I have a chance to transfer into another law school that is ranked higher than my school with such a low grade?

Not sure if this is relevant...I am not URM but an international student.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun May 31, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

POTUSorSCOTUS

Bronze

Re: Transfer T1 to T1 with low grade?

Post by POTUSorSCOTUS » Sun May 31, 2015 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hello,

I am attending one of T1 schools in East Coast and would like to transfer into another T1 school in CA which is ranked a bit higher than my current school (10 ranks higher)

I am very disappointed at my final grades: cumulatively it is 3.0 and for the second semester, it is 2.X. But my work experience in business consulting played strongly in favor of me when I got into law school (my LSAT was at the bottom 20%) and got a summer associate job at a local prestigious law firm as a 1L. Especially the law firm likes the fact that I am business savvy and can see the big picture.

My question is whether I have a chance to transfer into another law school that is ranked higher than my school with such a low grade?

Not sure if this is relevant...I am not URM but an international student.
You could likely transfer, which could be beneficial since you would get to "re-do" your GPA. If your 1L SA "local" firm would give you a 2L offer (or post-grad offer) regardless of whether you transfer, I'd transfer - but if the local firm wants local students, you might want to not transfer. However, the local firm might not want local students with "bad" GPAs. I'd recommend asking an associate/partner who you developed a relationship with at the local firm whether the firm would care if you transferred to another school and then I'd ask the hiring partner what they have in mind for you for 2L summer. Depending on their responses, you can make a better decision.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”