Can I get into Harvard??!?!?! Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Can I get into Harvard??!?!?!

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 30, 2015 5:10 pm

Top 5% at Top 25 school

5 years work experience, senior vice president of medium sized company

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Can I get into Harvard??!?!?!

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat May 30, 2015 5:14 pm

The two most important factors for admission to law school, including Harvard Law School, are one's undergraduate GPA as calculated by LSDAS & one's LSAT score. For Harvard, a score in the 170s should get you serious consideration with a GPA of 3.75 or better.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sat May 30, 2015 5:16 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:The two most important factors for admission to law school, including Harvard Law School, are one's undergraduate GPA as calculated by LSDAS & one's LSAT score. For Harvard, a score in the 170s should get you serious consideration with a GPA of 3.75 or better.
we're in the transfers forum

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Sat May 30, 2015 5:16 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:The two most important factors for admission to law school, including Harvard Law School, are one's undergraduate GPA as calculated by LSDAS & one's LSAT score. For Harvard, a score in the 170s should get you serious consideration with a GPA of 3.75 or better.
I don't think you even read the post.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 30, 2015 5:20 pm

I'm talking about as a transfer???

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sandwhich

Bronze

Post by sandwhich » Sat May 30, 2015 5:24 pm

Why don't you just try? It's not like it's binding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 30, 2015 5:34 pm

I was accepted ED at Chi. I would be giving that up.

Longtimecoming19

Bronze

Post by Longtimecoming19 » Sat May 30, 2015 5:34 pm

You're in a position where success is by no means guaranteed, but it is worth your time to apply.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat May 30, 2015 5:42 pm

I read the post, but not the forum heading. Top 5% at a top 25 law school is enough to get you serious consideration as a transfer student to HLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat May 30, 2015 5:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was accepted ED at Chi. I would be giving that up.
Isn't that supposed to be binding or am I thinking of the wrong school?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 30, 2015 6:34 pm

It is, I don't know how binding that is though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 30, 2015 6:38 pm

Chi will tell me to go fuck myself, but I figured I would still have a shot at NYU, Columbia or Harvard

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat May 30, 2015 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It is, I don't know how binding that is though.
You're such a damn turd. You can bet that UChi will contact any school you apply to and let them know that you recsinded your binding early decision. You do know that they can see all the schools you apply to via LSAC, right? No law school will accept someone who breaks the pretty fundamental rule of rejecting ED.

UChi is a great school, and you'll do fine. But as I said in another thread (I know who you are, even though this is anonymous), you made your bed. Now sleep in it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat May 30, 2015 7:11 pm

Well, it's your life so you have to make the best decision for yourself. I'm just surprised you'd apply for early decision knowing it was binding if you didn't intend to follow through. Some may call me naive but if I give my word, I'm going to follow through (honesty and honor mean a lot to me). It's why I wouldn't apply ED. But again, we all have our own values and perspectives. I'd just make sure that backing out on them isn't going to hurt you elsewhere.

I can certainly see an argument as to why it could be acceptable from another's perspective. In a way, it's reciprocal. If your grades drop, they have an out. If your grades or position increase, you should have an out. But it's still not something I could ever do. My word is my bond.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat May 30, 2015 7:29 pm

lawman84 wrote:
Well, it's your life so you have to make the best decision for yourself. I'm just surprised you'd apply for early decision knowing it was binding if you didn't intend to follow through. Some may call me naive but if I give my word, I'm going to follow through (honesty and honor mean a lot to me). It's why I wouldn't apply ED. But again, we all have our own values and perspectives. I'd just make sure that backing out on them isn't going to hurt you elsewhere.

I can certainly see an argument as to why it could be acceptable from another's perspective. In a way, it's reciprocal. If your grades drop, they have an out. If your grades or position increase, you should have an out. But it's still not something I could ever do. My word is my bond.
[youtube]bwipZZmcA5E[/youtube]

POTUSorSCOTUS

Bronze

Post by POTUSorSCOTUS » Sun May 31, 2015 7:29 am

IDK anything about your other posts OP, but I think you have a shot at H @ top 5% t-25

edit - I'd likely apply to H even though ED at Chi... let H turn you down bc you have a "binding offer" elsewhere ... maybe unless Chi's offer says something along the lines of "if you apply elsewhere, we renege". otherwise, i don't find any merit in the "keep your word" morality argument bc we're dealing with a corp/school/building

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Sun May 31, 2015 8:44 am

You should talk to someone who actually knows what they're talking about, but I'm under the impression that rejecting an ED offer of admission in order to apply to other law schools is considered unethical and may lead to character and fitness requirements when you take the bar.

Why do you think schools offer ED? Any student who is willing to apply ED likely would have applied RD anyway, so the school is not gaining applicants. The benefit to the school is that it's binding. Signing an Early Decision Agreement and then reneging is dishonest.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun May 31, 2015 11:30 am

Binding is binding, right? You're not allowed to apply to other schools. What do you do when Harvard rejects you and Chicago finds out you applied and rescinds your acceptance?

juzam_djinn

Bronze

Post by juzam_djinn » Sun May 31, 2015 1:27 pm

POTUSorSCOTUS wrote:IDK anything about your other posts OP, but I think you have a shot at H @ top 5% t-25

edit - I'd likely apply to H even though ED at Chi... let H turn you down bc you have a "binding offer" elsewhere ... maybe unless Chi's offer says something along the lines of "if you apply elsewhere, we renege". otherwise, i don't find any merit in the "keep your word" morality argument bc we're dealing with a corp/school/building
first off, even if you don't agree w/ the "morality" argument doesn't mean that there isn't a plain and simple CONTRACTUAL obligation to comply w/ the ED clause of the application.

Not agreeing w/ the morality issue is another thing entirely. You realize that in this situation, it's not just the mean old corp/school that you are hurting right? They gave you an added boost on your application b/c you applied ED. You might not have gotten in w/o said boost. Additionally, that boost they gave you inherently harmed other STUDENTS who were more honest and decided to apply RD. And on top of all of this, the argument that students should do what is in their best interest is most commonly thrown around with respect to OCI and not listening to your school's OCS. This is different. You haven't paid anything for a degree yet. The school doesn't owe you anything. You owe the school your word. Don't try to convince other people to back out of their agreements.

POTUSorSCOTUS

Bronze

Post by POTUSorSCOTUS » Sun May 31, 2015 2:36 pm

juzam_djinn wrote:
POTUSorSCOTUS wrote:IDK anything about your other posts OP, but I think you have a shot at H @ top 5% t-25

first off, even if you don't agree w/ the "morality" argument doesn't mean that there isn't a plain and simple CONTRACTUAL obligation to comply w/ the ED clause of the application.

Not agreeing w/ the morality issue is another thing entirely. You realize that in this situation, it's not just the mean old corp/school that you are hurting right? They gave you an added boost on your application b/c you applied ED. You might not have gotten in w/o said boost. Additionally, that boost they gave you inherently harmed other STUDENTS who were more honest and decided to apply RD. And on top of all of this, the argument that students should do what is in their best interest is most commonly thrown around with respect to OCI and not listening to your school's OCS. This is different. You haven't paid anything for a degree yet. The school doesn't owe you anything. You owe the school your word. Don't try to convince other people to back out of their agreements.
I'm looking at the consequences. I doubt this contractual obligation would result in civil liability. Your morality argument regarding a boost over other honest students is just that - a morality argument. I think OP should do what is in his best interest ... like I said, I'd apply to H regardless of ED Chi UNLESS Chi says it will renege its offer if OP applies to other schools. The only plausible worry I'd have if I were OP is what actions the C&F Bar will do, but OP may not know which Bar he's even applying to yet.

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Sun May 31, 2015 3:35 pm

My guess is you get rejected from all other schools (since they assuredly circulate a list of ED students) and your offer is rescinded from Chicago.

Good luck.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Longtimecoming19

Bronze

Post by Longtimecoming19 » Sun May 31, 2015 7:24 pm

OP, if you renege, UChi is immediately going to know that you got into HYSC. You can be sure that they will contact those schools, maybe others as well, and let them know that you reneged on your binding ED commitment. The question is how HLS will react to that news. Here is what you should do: as soon as possible, call the HLS admissions office and ask them whether they would rescind the acceptance of a transfer student who had already accepted an offer at another school under binding ED. If they say that wouldn't matter, apply. If they say that they would rescind your acceptance upon finding out, then you might as well not apply, because they *will* find out.
Last edited by Longtimecoming19 on Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:00 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I emailed Monday with no response. I'm assuming they will rescind any acceptance.

I'm excited about University of Chicago. It was a school that I never could have applied to a year ago and even a few months ago didn't know if I was a serious candidate.

I was doubting my spring performance after finals, but I finished with a semester GPA just above a 4.0, bringing my cumulative to a 3.98. My school does not release grades until after the ED deadline and I thought ED would be the only way I could break into CCN.

I'm very excited about Chicago, but wish I had all of my options before making a decision (CCN and Harvard).

JDeezy

Bronze

Post by JDeezy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:53 pm

lawman84 wrote:. My word is my bond.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
juzam_djinn wrote: Don't try to convince other people to back out of their agreements.
http://www.nalp.org/what_do_lawyers_do

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:56 pm

JDeezy wrote:
lawman84 wrote:. My word is my bond.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
juzam_djinn wrote: Don't try to convince other people to back out of their agreements.
http://www.nalp.org/what_do_lawyers_do
We all have different values but I like to believe that people respect honesty, honor, and loyalty. You're certainly entitled to your opinion but lets not act like being a man of your word is something ridiculous.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”