Is anyone willing to post their transfer personal statements?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is anyone willing to post their transfer personal statements?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 26, 2015 1:26 pm

I'm completely at a loss for what to write. My original PS for applying to law school completely does not apply now.

I know, I know, keep it simple, just say why you want to transfer, it doesn't even matter that much, etc. But I'd really appreciate if I could see a sample of what anyone has written, or point me to somewhere with samples. Thanks!

kaiser

Re: Is anyone willing to post their transfer personal statements?

Postby kaiser » Tue May 26, 2015 1:54 pm

Send me a private message, and we can discuss. I may still have my transfer PS saved somewhere, and I am happy to forward you a copy and discuss the transfer process, my experience as a transfer, etc.

quiver

Postby quiver » Tue May 26, 2015 7:20 pm

My transfer personal statements were all two pages. I kept the first page the same for all of them and talked about why I came to law school, what I liked about law school, and my career goals. The second page I personalized to each school. I think I had one paragraph on that page for career placement (showing that they place well into biglaw, clerkships, etc.), one paragraph on the journals I'd want to join and the clinics/classes I'd like to take, and a final paragraph on why I wanted to be in the city/region (or just a conclusion depending on the school).

Obviously there's lot of different ways to do it but I think it helped to have a set first page and a personalized second page (more work than a stock PS but not a horrible amount of work).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 27, 2015 9:46 am

quiver wrote:My transfer personal statements were all two pages. I kept the first page the same for all of them and talked about why I came to law school, what I liked about law school, and my career goals. The second page I personalized to each school. I think I had one paragraph on that page for career placement (showing that they place well into biglaw, clerkships, etc.), one paragraph on the journals I'd want to join and the clinics/classes I'd like to take, and a final paragraph on why I wanted to be in the city/region (or just a conclusion depending on the school).

Obviously there's lot of different ways to do it but I think it helped to have a set first page and a personalized second page (more work than a stock PS but not a horrible amount of work).

Thank you, it might sound stupid but this is kind of exactly what I needed to hear, the specific things you wrote about. I'll try writing it like this.
Do you think it's super important to have specifics about each school? Is that something that schools look for, or can it be more general like for 0L applications?

quiver

Postby quiver » Wed May 27, 2015 7:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
quiver wrote:My transfer personal statements were all two pages. I kept the first page the same for all of them and talked about why I came to law school, what I liked about law school, and my career goals. The second page I personalized to each school. I think I had one paragraph on that page for career placement (showing that they place well into biglaw, clerkships, etc.), one paragraph on the journals I'd want to join and the clinics/classes I'd like to take, and a final paragraph on why I wanted to be in the city/region (or just a conclusion depending on the school).

Thank you, it might sound stupid but this is kind of exactly what I needed to hear, the specific things you wrote about. I'll try writing it like this.
Do you think it's super important to have specifics about each school? Is that something that schools look for, or can it be more general like for 0L applications?

I don't think it's super important but I think it helps. I sat next to an admissions officer at some event and he said that it's nice to see at least something specific to the school/location, although it's not a deal breaker by any means.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Thu May 28, 2015 10:57 am

Send me a PM and I'll send you mine.

Return to “Transfers”