LoR Question

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

LoR Question

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 20, 2015 9:44 pm

For some applications, I need more than one letter of recommendation. I already have one from a professor I did well with first semester and with whom I'm close, but I didn't get to know other professors all that well/don't have standout grades in those classes, and some of my doctrinal grades have yet to be released. However, I booked a class with a professor who taught a really large section, although he either doesn't know who I am or is acutely aware that I attended fewer than half of his lectures. Should I bother asking him for a recommendation, or could this end up being detrimental?

POTUSorSCOTUS

Re: LoR Question

Postby POTUSorSCOTUS » Thu May 21, 2015 6:56 pm

Are you serious? Yes, ask the professors whose class you book ... use your brain

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 21, 2015 7:18 pm

Considering the professor can easily say I had terrible attendance in a letter, or that he doesn't know me because I've never spoken in class, I don't think this question merits that response. Thanks anyways.

BVest

Postby BVest » Thu May 21, 2015 7:41 pm

POTUSorSCOTUS wrote:Are you serious? Yes, ask the professors whose class you book ... use your brain

I disagree with this. Whoever you ask needs to know who the hell you are.

POTUSorSCOTUS

Postby POTUSorSCOTUS » Fri May 22, 2015 4:43 pm

Wtf school do you go to where the professors would agree to write negative letters of recommendation? Defies common sense. Regardless, use your intuition... do you think the professor you booked is an asshole? Yes --> Don't ask; No --> Ask

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Sat May 23, 2015 2:23 pm

POTUSorSCOTUS wrote:Wtf school do you go to where the professors would agree to write negative letters of recommendation? Defies common sense. Regardless, use your intuition... do you think the professor you booked is an asshole? Yes --> Don't ask; No --> Ask

Listen, I think you're fundamentally missing the point, you half-brained twit. Most professors wont write a LOR for someone that they do not know. So you can book their class, but the professor can still have no idea who you are and therefore have nothing invested in you. If they don't know you and don't care about you, then they probably won't write a LOR.

POTUSorSCOTUS

Postby POTUSorSCOTUS » Sat May 23, 2015 2:30 pm

Listen you aspie-fucks, OP asked whether he should bother asking a professor whom he booked for a letter of recommendation because he has no other options. This is not rocket science ... if you need to have X-number of letters of recommendations to transfer, then you get X-number of letters of recommendations - it's basically a box to check off. The professor could simply say no, or he could say yes and ask for OP's resume to get a better idea of OP's background to write the letter of recommendation. In all likelihood, Professor probably has a template letter of recommendation that he will fill in.

OP, if you don't want to ask the professor, then don't - but if you're trying to transfer and have no other options, then fucking do it.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Sat May 23, 2015 2:40 pm

Suck on a shotgun turd.

OP, is there no other professor that at least knows who you are that you can ask? You just need someone who will actually write a letter. If you seriously do not know any professors, then you might as well ask all of them, including the professor you booked.

Return to “Transfers”