How to move half-way across the country? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Ken Kesey

New

How to move half-way across the country?

Post by Ken Kesey » Fri May 15, 2015 5:01 pm

Anyone got any tips on how they moved 2000 miles? I've got a small SUV, no where enough to move a bed.

Did you all just sell your stuff and start over?

Let me know what you did.

KirkwoodGAO

New

Re: How to move half-way across the country?

Post by KirkwoodGAO » Fri May 15, 2015 5:26 pm

Well you see there's a company called Uhaul that rents trucks.

There are also moving companies that move stuff for people.

Additionally, there's http://www.pods.com/ that rents pods that you fill up and then they move the pods for you.

Eladriel

Bronze

Post by Eladriel » Fri May 15, 2015 5:45 pm

Ken Kesey wrote:Anyone got any tips on how they moved 2000 miles? I've got a small SUV, no where enough to move a bed.

Did you all just sell your stuff and start over?

Let me know what you did.
I moved 3000 miles a few years ago. You're lucky to have the SUV--all I had was a sedan.

figure out what's important to have with you and bring it. Anything else, store/ship/sell/give away.

Replace with Ikea furniture.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Fri May 15, 2015 8:20 pm

Yeah, bed, unless the frame is special, is completely replaceable. If you use standard size moving boxes (and actually know how to pack well), you can palletize a bunch of stuff and ship it via Amtrak, especially if you don't need it for a week or two.

You can also ship boxes individually with amtrak, but they lost a couple of ours when we did that.

They have limitations on what they permit, so just look at those and that's the stuff you pack in your SUV.

Lastly, getting a UHaul truck one-way is expensive, but getting a trailer isn't too bad. If you don't have a hitch on your SUV, you can get one from etrailer.com for a lot cheaper than from an installer. For the lighting you'll want to pay an installer unless you're pretty competent with that stuff.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat May 16, 2015 10:12 pm

Slowly have gotten rid of all of my stuff. Now everything fits in a cargo van, with room. I recommend chucking everything you own except clothes, TV, Xbox. That's what I have done and it's worked well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”