Recent LRAP changes at top schools?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
theonerd

Recent LRAP changes at top schools?

Postby theonerd » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:37 pm

I just finished 1L today (yay me!) at a Top 20 school.
I am planning to transfer to a Top 10 school for 2L in Fall 2015.

Before selecting my school for 1L, I did a lot of research into LRAP programs at the top schools.
My previous research is now 1 year old. I would prefer not to do all that research again (especially during write-on competition), but I want to make sure to consider the most up-to-date LRAP programs in my transfer decisions.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any recent (i.e. less than 1 year old) data about LRAP (Loan Repayment Assistance Programs) at the top schools?

This article was written two years ago:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=211835
Anything similar to this (except more recent) would be awesome.

Thanks

rinkrat19

Re: Recent LRAP changes at top schools?

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:39 pm

Northwestern just announced that they're adding a thing to pay interest for a year on jobs (not just PI) below $85k, including unemployed students. They're calling it something separate from the LRAP program, but I figure it fits.
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/about/n ... cfm?ID=718

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:23 pm

Columbia bumped its ceiling up to 100k from 71k for people dovetailing with IBR/PAYE. Pay nothing under 100k, pay 34.5% of income above 100k. Same percentages but with a cutoff of 50k if you use the plan that isn't tied to IBR/PAYE.

theonerd

Postby theonerd » Fri May 01, 2015 2:25 pm

Thanks Rinkat and Tiago. I appreciate it.
The Columbia thing is really, really cool. That bumps them up in my view (almost enough to offset the fact that I would have to move to NY).

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Fri May 01, 2015 9:28 pm

theonerd wrote:Thanks Rinkat and Tiago. I appreciate it.
The Columbia thing is really, really cool. That bumps them up in my view (almost enough to offset the fact that I would have to move to NY).

The CLS LRAP played a large role in my choice to transfer there. Who cares if you have to move to NY--CLS will be paying that COL in no time!

Mozart Lacrimosa

Postby Mozart Lacrimosa » Sat May 02, 2015 10:59 am

If one of you CLS guys could clarify, that bump to 100k ceiling is still for PI work right? And from their website it seems like those are fellowships you apply for so not everyone gets it?

source: http://web.law.columbia.edu/social-just ... rvice/lrap

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat May 02, 2015 2:32 pm

Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:If one of you CLS guys could clarify, that bump to 100k ceiling is still for PI work right? And from their website it seems like those are fellowships you apply for so not everyone gets it?

source: http://web.law.columbia.edu/social-just ... rvice/lrap

Yeah it's for everyone in PI/Gov. Those enhanced fellowships just pay loans off even faster.

http://web.law.columbia.edu/sites/defau ... c_2014.pdf

Mozart Lacrimosa

Postby Mozart Lacrimosa » Sat May 02, 2015 2:42 pm

That's pretty neat. I get the sense that most ppl go to CLS strictly for biglaw but this is a nice touch.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Sat May 02, 2015 2:53 pm

Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:That's pretty neat. I get the sense that most ppl go to CLS strictly for biglaw but this is a nice touch.

About 1/5 of our xfer class came in with PI/Gov't aspirations, so you won't be alone if you transfer here this summer.

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon May 04, 2015 10:18 pm

I quickly paged through a couple schools (Cornell, Michigan, Penn, UCLA, Chicago, NYU, UVA, Duke) and didn't see any changes to the programs themselves. Columbia's has obviously changed as you've noticed, and there may be other changes similar to the one Rink found that aren't technically "LRAP."

That said, these programs may change after June 1, so check back again before you finalize your decision if this is important to you.

Return to “Transfers”