Duke Transfer 2015 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Duke Transfer 2015

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:02 pm

Anyone considering putting in an app for Duke? I'm contemplating... will depend on my second semester grades.

Stats: T1 (30-40), 3.65, haven't received ranking

sandwhich

Bronze

Re: Duke Transfer 2015

Post by sandwhich » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:41 pm

I will certainly apply if I don't get in ED at UChi. Then again, I plan on blanketing the T14 with apps if all goes well :D

AT9

Gold

Post by AT9 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:47 pm

Count me in! I ED'd there and got wait listed, so I hope that weighs in my favor as being really interested. Also at 30-50 range school and...well, I'll see what my GPA is after finals...

stumpy

New

Post by stumpy » Wed May 13, 2015 5:17 pm

I transferred to Duke last year (T2, top 10%). PM me if you have any questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:40 am

stumpy wrote:I transferred to Duke last year (T2, top 10%). PM me if you have any questions.
Had any good BBQ?
Have you seen Slackademic on campus slacklining with hemp bracelets on?

Cerberaus

New

Post by Cerberaus » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:26 pm

stumpy wrote:I transferred to Duke last year (T2, top 10%). PM me if you have any questions.
If you can remember, when did you hear from Duke?

stumpy

New

Post by stumpy » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:18 pm

Cerberaus wrote:
If you can remember, when did you hear from Duke?
I got my acceptance email on July 8 or 9 I think. I phone interviewed earlier the same day.

w7ldcard

Bronze

Post by w7ldcard » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:17 pm

Any movement yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:05 pm

w7ldcard wrote:Any movement yet?
I know someone from my t20 was accepted last week

w7ldcard

Bronze

Post by w7ldcard » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:15 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
Thanks that helps!

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:15 pm

w7ldcard wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
Thanks that helps!
Yep! I know nothing else though since I don't know the person well.

Cerberaus

New

Post by Cerberaus » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:30 pm

Accepted to Duke via email. No interview. Online status updated.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

w7ldcard

Bronze

Post by w7ldcard » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:19 pm

Cerberaus wrote:Accepted to Duke via email. No interview. Online status updated.
Nice congrats! Maybe they arent doing interviews this year? Would you attend over UChi?

Cerberaus

New

Post by Cerberaus » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:06 pm

w7ldcard wrote:
Cerberaus wrote:Accepted to Duke via email. No interview. Online status updated.
Nice congrats! Maybe they arent doing interviews this year? Would you attend over UChi?
Well, I'm wait listed at Chi and accepted at Boalt. Because Boalt is public, my tuition is covered with the GI Bill. Duke, however, is private and may be the more expensive option. I have to contact the school and ask.

Cerberaus

New

Post by Cerberaus » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:03 pm

Yeah, I confirmed with the school: the cost is MUCH higher than Berkeley (and most other top schools) for those using the GI Bill. I politely rejected the offer of admission.

jphiggo

Bronze

Post by jphiggo » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:13 pm

Cerberaus wrote:Yeah, I confirmed with the school: the cost is MUCH higher than Berkeley (and most other top schools) for those using the GI Bill. I politely rejected the offer of admission.
You going to Boalt or still weighing options?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cerberaus

New

Post by Cerberaus » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:30 pm

jphiggo wrote:
Cerberaus wrote:Yeah, I confirmed with the school: the cost is MUCH higher than Berkeley (and most other top schools) for those using the GI Bill. I politely rejected the offer of admission.
Today was the last day to accept with Berkeley. Considering that I accepted, I'd be damning myself if I said that I was weighing other options (against the school's policy).

Here's my situation:
1) I want to practice on the West Coast or out West (it doesn't have to be CA; it could be Seattle, Denver, or another viable option).
2) I have the GI Bill which covers a good portion of housing and all of tuition for public schools. So Berkeley is FREE! WOW!
3) Weather is very important to my wife and I who both love the outdoors; I can't wait to ski again.
4) I want to go overseas eventually (spent a long time in various countries both as a service member and a civilian) and the countries I'm interested in love Berkeley--even over Chicago and some Ivies. I don't know if the QS rankings matter, but Berkeley ranks high on that list. However, I wouldn't make a decision based off that. It just confirmed what friends overseas seem to say about Berkeley.

I think I'd be stupid not to accept Berkeley over Penn, Duke, or Chicago given my goals and aversion to debt.

ttam30

New

Post by ttam30 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:36 pm

Double check that Berkeley email about aid, I believe they extended the acceptance date to next Wednesday.

jphiggo

Bronze

Post by jphiggo » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:37 pm

Cerberaus wrote:
jphiggo wrote:
Today was the last day to accept with Berkeley. Considering that I accepted, I'd be damning myself if I said that I was weighing other options (against the school's policy).

Here's my situation:
1) I want to practice on the West Coast or out West (it doesn't have to be CA; it could be Seattle, Denver, or another viable option).
2) I have the GI Bill which covers a good portion of housing and all of tuition for public schools. So Berkeley is FREE! WOW!
3) Weather is very important to my wife and I who both love the outdoors; I can't wait to ski again.
4) I want to go overseas eventually (spent a long time in various countries both as a service member and a civilian) and the countries I'm interested in love Berkeley--even over Chicago and some Ivies. I don't know if the QS rankings matter, but Berkeley ranks high on that list. However, I wouldn't make a decision based off that. It just confirmed what friends overseas seem to say about Berkeley.

I think I'd be stupid not to accept Berkeley over Penn, Duke, or Chicago given my goals and aversion to debt.
I think you have very compelling reasons to choose Berkeley. I definitely understand your dilemma. I have a couple of more hours before I need to let Berkeley know either way.

BTW, have you seen this yet?
https://www.bayareaskibus.com/
Last edited by jphiggo on Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ttam30

New

Post by ttam30 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:39 pm

Did you get that email from Berkeley about aid? I believe they extended the acceptance date to next Wednesday. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jphiggo

Bronze

Post by jphiggo » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:43 pm

ttam30 wrote:Did you get that email from Berkeley about aid? I believe they extended the acceptance date to next Wednesday. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
You might want to double check with them. The only e-mail I received from Berkeley regarding aid, that mentioned July 15, was talking about a financial aid office deadline to submit the need aid application and wasn't talking about the deadline in which to accept the offer of admission.

ttam30

New

Post by ttam30 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:50 pm

jphiggo wrote:
ttam30 wrote:Did you get that email from Berkeley about aid? I believe they extended the acceptance date to next Wednesday. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
You might want to double check with them. The only e-mail I received from Berkeley regarding aid, that mentioned July 15, was talking about a financial aid office deadline to submit the need aid application and wasn't talking about the deadline in which to accept the offer of admission.

Mine said this, which I took to mean we had until Wednesday. I assumed everyone got this email?

"Given that we fully understand financial assistance may be part of what helps you decide where to enroll this fall, the Dean of Admissions, Edward Tom, has agreed to extend your enrollment declaration response deadline to the end of business on Wednesday, July 15, 2015."

jphiggo

Bronze

Post by jphiggo » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:52 pm

ttam30 wrote:
jphiggo wrote:

Mine said this, which I took to mean we had until Wednesday. I assumed everyone got this email?

"Given that we fully understand financial assistance may be part of what helps you decide where to enroll this fall, the Dean of Admissions, Edward Tom, has agreed to extend your enrollment declaration response deadline to the end of business on Wednesday, July 15, 2015."
Nah, I didn't receive that e-mail (I also didn't qualify for any aid, which may explain it). Sounds like your deadline has been extended to Wednesday.

Cerberaus

New

Post by Cerberaus » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:59 pm

jphiggo wrote:
ttam30 wrote:
jphiggo wrote:

Nah, I didn't receive that e-mail (I also didn't qualify for any aid, which may explain it). Sounds like your deadline has been extended to Wednesday.
It's only extended for certain individuals who are awaiting an answer about financial aid. If you didn't get the email, like me, don't assume it was extended.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”