Applying before second semester grades

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Applying before second semester grades

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:28 pm

I wanted to get my apps done ASAP and then just have my school send in my second semester grades when they come in. So should I just use my first semester GPA in my applications and on my resume attachment? Or wait until I get grades? Thanks

NoDayButToday

Re: Applying before second semester grades

Postby NoDayButToday » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:45 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jphiggo

Postby jphiggo » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:20 pm

Everything I have read suggests that they will not review your application until it is complete. It won't be complete until you have second semester grades to send them. You can submit your application now and just use the GPA that you currently have. When your second semester grades are available, have your school send your grades to the schools that you applied to. You can also e-mail unofficial transcripts to the schools, after your grades are in, so they can mark your file complete and begin reviewing you for admission (while waiting on your official transcript--in fact, they may not even care about receiving your official transcript unless you are admitted).

Most, if not all, require you to also have your school submit a certification form of some sort. You will need to have your school complete this form after your second semester grades are in. So, when you request that they send the transcript, have them send this form as well (but I would have them e-mail this particular form). On that form your school will state your first year cumulative GPA and class rank.

I'm in the middle of this process with you all, as well. From what I can tell, after submitting a couple of applications to schools with early decision options, what I have stated above seems to be a correct way of doing things.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:15 pm

I was going to have the cert form mailed before grades are in just so I have everything done and can just have my schools send an official transcript once spring grades come out. I was under the impression that most people did that... Anyone who did this last year have feedback?

jphiggo

Postby jphiggo » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was going to have the cert form mailed before grades are in just so I have everything done and can just have my schools send an official transcript once spring grades come out. I was under the impression that most people did that... Anyone who did this last year have feedback?

It's kind of hard for the school to complete the cert form before grades are in. Most, if not all, transfer schools direct your current school's representative to state your entire 1st year's GPA and class rank on the form.

Now, some schools require a dean certification from your undergrad institution. That form you can complete and send in before your second semester law school grades are in.

bblas

Postby bblas » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:59 pm

jphiggo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was going to have the cert form mailed before grades are in just so I have everything done and can just have my schools send an official transcript once spring grades come out. I was under the impression that most people did that... Anyone who did this last year have feedback?

It's kind of hard for the school to complete the cert form before grades are in. Most, if not all, transfer schools direct your current school's representative to state your entire 1st year's GPA and class rank on the form.

Now, some schools require a dean certification from your undergrad institution. That form you can complete and send in before your second semester law school grades are in.

Awesome, thanks. What about submitting the app online before grades are out? Should I just use my current fall semester GPA?

sandwhich

Postby sandwhich » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:20 pm

bblas wrote:
jphiggo wrote:

Awesome, thanks. What about submitting the app online before grades are out? Should I just use my current fall semester GPA?

If you don't care about potentially wasting $100 (unless you have a waiver). Shouldn't yih be studying? Shouldn't we all?

bblas

Postby bblas » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:26 pm

sandwhich wrote:
bblas wrote:
jphiggo wrote:

If you don't care about potentially wasting $100 (unless you have a waiver). Shouldn't yih be studying? Shouldn't we all?

what $100? So nobody submits their app through lsac until they get their second semester grades? hm...

sandwhich

Postby sandwhich » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:27 pm

The app costs $100.

bblas

Postby bblas » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:29 pm

sandwhich wrote:The app costs $100.

Yeah well I'd have to pay that regardless of if I send apps in now or in june...

sandwhich

Postby sandwhich » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:32 pm

bblas wrote:

Yeah well I'd have to pay that regardless of if I send apps in now or in june...

Unless you find out your grades make it not worth applying or they open up opportunities for better schools. Look do whatever you want you seem to want someone to tell you it's going to give you some slight edge but it won't grades and school rank are all that matters.

bblas

Postby bblas » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:52 am

sandwhich wrote:
bblas wrote:

Unless you find out your grades make it not worth applying or they open up opportunities for better schools. Look do whatever you want you seem to want someone to tell you it's going to give you some slight edge but it won't grades and school rank are all that matters.

Haha no I'm just confused why people always talk about applying early and getting everything done ASAP

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:27 pm

bblas wrote:
sandwhich wrote:
bblas wrote:

Haha no I'm just confused why people always talk about applying early and getting everything done ASAP

Because the schools all have different requirements and you may run into a hitch along the way which could screw you considering the turnaround time for these decisions.

Return to “Transfers”