GULC worth the $ for Fed Gov?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
pd_1023

GULC worth the $ for Fed Gov?

Postby pd_1023 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:48 am

I'm currently at a NY area T2(70-90) with a good scholarship (I'm paying ~$6/yr) and living with my parents.
I've been accepted to Georgetown EA. I have yet to receive a financial aid offer, but I'm hopeful. Right now, I'm looking at full tuition and living expenses loan-funded for two years.
I'd like to work Fed Gov in DC or NY long term.

Is the GULC debt worth the better odds of getting Fed Gov?

m.r.ducks

Re: GULC worth the $ for Fed Gov?

Postby m.r.ducks » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:26 am

Well, your odds of getting Big Fed from your current school are low. Any of the honors programs will be extraordinary difficult (SEC, DHS, FDIC, FEC, DOJ), especially without relevant work experience. You might get honors for immigration, if you have that experience from your current school, they are less prestige heavy. If you maintain your GPA. I'm assuming you're at Brooklyn or St.Johns (or even Buffalo), they all place a couple federal clerks for their top students. Georgetown is no guarantee of any government position. Interning (along with grit) can pay off in DC, but there is no guarantee. Unfortunately, I don't think you will be pleased with your financial aid offer. The fact that some transfer schools are even offering money is very different from even a few years ago. Hopefully it works out and they might open up their coffers more this year.

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:56 am

GULC student here - you'll have *better* luck at GULC, but that doesn't mean it will be objectively worth it.

A lot of GULC people I know who went into FedGov either worked there before in some capacity, had connections from other experience (working on the Hill for the right people), or coming from a top law firm with stellar grades. If none of that applies to you, I would reconsider GULC strongly.

That being said, GULC will help your odds in other areas like BigLaw, so it could be worth it for other reasons.

pd_1023

Postby pd_1023 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:13 am

I appreciate the insight, guys. I do have an internship with a fed'l regulatory agency in DC lined up for this summer, and I have some experience in the relevant industry. My ideal position in two years would be in the gov't honors program at the same agency.

I guess a point I'm considering is the value of being in DC, perhaps shooting for a fall/spring internship at a higher office in the agency and schmoozing at industry bar events.

I understand the low odds of getting these honors programs, and would certainly consider big- and mid-law as another path.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:11 pm

GULC is a good option, but try to get in somewhere better this summer.

twenty

Postby twenty » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:48 pm

If you're doing well enough to transfer from a T2 to Georgetown and you'll graduate from your T2 with less than 30k of debt, I would absolutely stay where you're at.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:32 pm

Wait until you receive Georgetown's financial aid offer.

tabouz1

Postby tabouz1 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:03 pm

I think it is definitely worth the money for a couple of reasons.

Number one, there are a ton of opportunities here to get government experience that can translate into a good government job. Is it guaranteed? As everyone says, of course not. But it certainly increases your chances. Many of my colleagues here at Georgetown have done at least one or two gigs at some governmental agency: DOJ, SEC, USCIS, OSC just to name a few. You get the experience, you make a good impression, you get recommendation letters, and that really increases your chances.

The second thing to remember is that, assuming the government's loan forgiveness program is not ended, you could end up not having to pay anything for these two years. Georgetown's LRAP program makes the loan payment for you (or reimburses you, can't remember which) while you are doing public interest or government work. The only real requirement is that you start that public interest/ government job within two years from graduation. Once you do, Georgetown will be paying your PAYE/IBR payments for the ten years it takes to forgive your loans. You get full benefits if you are making $75K or less; once you start making more, your benefits start diminishing.

I bring this up because it seems like you are in this government thing for the long haul, so you can really take advantage of this program and end up having almost a full ride for your second and third years of law school.

If you Google LRAP you will find out more about it. LRAP III, I believe, is the current version of the program, which is what would apply to current students.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:15 am

Location is key too, because of externships. While I was at an agency 1L summer, many of the young attorney-advisors externed there during one or more semester. FedGov is always about getting the foot in the door before Spring of 3L.

Return to “Transfers”