Transfer to BU or GULC for Boston Biglaw? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Transfer to BU or GULC for Boston Biglaw?

BU
52%
GULC
48%

Total votes: 33

gwillhunting

New

Transfer to BU or GULC for Boston Biglaw?

Post by gwillhunting » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:16 pm

Last edited by gwillhunting on Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: Transfer to BU or GULC for Boston Biglaw?

Post by TLSModBot » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:18 pm

GULC student here. Don't know as much about BU, so can only comment as to its NALP data. Overall tuition cost is about the same (BU is a couple grand cheaper), and given your other info on COL, it looks like hiring is more important than costs to your situation.

This may surprise you, but GULC is not primarily focused on the Boston market. We place some people there (I know one at least), but it's not the market that we target and accordingly we have a smaller alumni network etc. BUT GULC hires into Biglaw better overall. (looks like BU is around 36% into Biglaw as compared to GULC's 48%). BU will be better for mid/small law however.

So: do you want a higher shot at Biglaw but maybe not in Boston, or do you definitely want Boston but might settle for a smaller firm?

I would say GULC is probably the way you want to go, but someone more familiar with BU or Boston should probably chime in.
Last edited by TLSModBot on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:22 pm

I'd agree with your conclusion but idk where in the world you're pulling those numbers from. BU was ~37% biglaw/fed clerk for c/o 2014 and GULC was ~48%.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:32 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:I'd agree with your conclusion but idk where in the world you're pulling those numbers from. BU was ~37% biglaw/fed clerk for c/o 2014 and GULC was ~48%.
... because I was looking at the wrong year's data. Updating my post - thanks for the catch

gwillhunting

New

Post by gwillhunting » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:34 pm

Last edited by gwillhunting on Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:10 pm

timesnewboston

New

Post by timesnewboston » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:02 pm

Easily BU. GULC's long-term, full-time employment for the class of 2014 is 70% and BU's is 68%. If you want to work in Boston, go to BU or BC.

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... -2014.html

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:08 pm

timesnewboston wrote:Easily BU. GULC's long-term, full-time employment for the class of 2014 is 70% and BU's is 68%. If you want to work in Boston, go to BU or BC.

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... -2014.html
I don't see how this helps at all?

OP would really have to look at how transfers at a school like BU do relative to a school like GULC. It seems that in general, going from a low-ranking school to a T14 is a good move because it opens up doors that weren't open before, but definitely doesn't make you a shoe-in for biglaw. Transferring to a non-T14 school is obviously not as good of an outcome, and I think you'd have to look at whether the OCI structure at BU would be better for OP than it would be at GULC. My T20's OCI is 100% preselect, and I'm pretty sure that this system generally screws transfers at my school, so I'm not sure if BU is the same. If BU is preselect (like most non-T14), then GULC would definitely be better because it would guarantee that the OP would get some interviews, which is the whole point of transferring.

filibuster

Bronze

Post by filibuster » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:05 pm

Just a couple of comments...rising 3L at GULC:

1) A friend of mine transferred last year from a TT and got Boston BigLaw (of course anecdotal).

2) Many of the big firms in Boston come to EIW and our system is not 100% preselect. In addition, firms with satellite offices in Boston interview here, too.

OP, I would go the GULC route.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:52 pm

Georgetown has better overall placement figures. Since you'll be paying sticker price, it's more important to get a job than to worry about location.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:02 pm

For BigLaw in general: GULC
For BigLaw in Boston: BU

Judging by the 2014 employment data, it appears that there has to be a connection between placement in Mass. and BigLaw, and the same is true with GULC, they place very very few in Boston. GULC feeds into, in this order, DC -> NY -> California, whereas half of BU's grads stay in Mass.

GULC data: https://www.law.georgetown.edu/careers/ ... e-Info.pdf

BU data: https://www.bu.edu/law/prospective/care ... ebsite.pdf

I don't think GULC's general placement value trumps the fact that BU's placement is primarily in the market that OP is looking at.

Now, if OP is choosing between BU and PCCNHYS, then the latter would probably be the best bet. OP, kill this semester's finals and go to one of those schools.

gwillhunting

New

Post by gwillhunting » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:15 pm

gwillhunting

New

Post by gwillhunting » Thu May 21, 2015 12:29 pm

Last edited by gwillhunting on Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dagnygalt

New

Post by dagnygalt » Mon May 25, 2015 3:06 am

Current SA at a boston big law firm here. I think BU is the better choice. The firms here are very boston centric and have probably 80% BU or BC grads. Obviously you have good grades, so I think you'd do very well at BU OCI.

gwillhunting

New

Post by gwillhunting » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:56 pm

gwillhunting wrote:Decided on BU. Finished the year with a 3.91/4.00. The opportunities of staying in Boston and being able to network felt more important to me than the bump to GULC. Good luck to everybody this summer!
I think you made the right choice.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:57 pm

Nebby wrote:
gwillhunting wrote:Decided on BU. Finished the year with a 3.91/4.00. The opportunities of staying in Boston and being able to network felt more important to me than the bump to GULC. Good luck to everybody this summer!
I think you made the right choice.
I agree, and you have competitive grades. Good luck OP!

gwillhunting

New

Post by gwillhunting » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:08 am

Thanks guys. I really appreciate all the advice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”