advice/exp when meeting with the dean?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

advice/exp when meeting with the dean?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:43 am

I'm moving along in the process of transferring from my school, and I likely will need to meet with the dean of student affairs (or someone similar) prior to my transfer to get my Deans certificate.

Any stories on your past experiences in meeting with administration for this purpose? Were they usually pretty chill with you leaving, or is it going to be really awkward/hard-sell to get you to stay? Would be good to get a sense in advance. I'm at a lower T-14, if that matters.

Thanks!

bblas

Re: advice/exp when meeting with the dean?

Postby bblas » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:12 pm

I had to do this a couple weeks ago. It was fine, only slightly awkward. The dean just asked why I wanted to transfer then told me some disadvantages of transferring, explained some ways I could get the career I wanted if I stayed at my current school. Don't worry about it, it's more a formality than anything.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm moving along in the process of transferring from my school, and I likely will need to meet with the dean of student affairs (or someone similar) prior to my transfer to get my Deans certificate.

Any stories on your past experiences in meeting with administration for this purpose? Were they usually pretty chill with you leaving, or is it going to be really awkward/hard-sell to get you to stay? Would be good to get a sense in advance. I'm at a lower T-14, if that matters.

Thanks!

Just call/email registrar and ask for the dean cert to be filled out. I never met w/ anyone in person or spoke to a dean - just email.

bblas

Postby bblas » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:30 pm

To clarify - I never requested to meet with my dean. One of the profs I asked a letter for told the dean I was applying to transfer and he requested a meeting with me. Maybe that doesn't happen to everyone but anyway it went fine

quiver

Postby quiver » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm moving along in the process of transferring from my school, and I likely will need to meet with the dean of student affairs (or someone similar) prior to my transfer to get my Deans certificate.

Thanks!
I did this during my transfer process and I've talked to other transfers who went through it. Sometimes they try to hard-sell you and sometimes they don't. In any case, my experience is that it's helpful to frame your viewpoint as "I really like it here but I just think I owe it to myself to explore all options" rather than "fuck this place, I'm out, now gimme my goddamn deans cert". Even if it's completely untrue, administrators have seemed to respond better when explained from the "exploring options" point of view.

Return to “Transfers”