Transferring out of a TTT school, my ranking is 3/220 but...

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transferring out of a TTT school, my ranking is 3/220 but...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:06 pm

I don't know if this matters, but I was actually originally waitlisted before getting accepted at the TTT school that I currently attend. For that reason, I feel a little guilty for wanting to get out. But with law school rankings being such a monumental issue, I feel like I have no choice. Do any TLSers have personal experience with transferring out of a law school that they were first waitlisted at, and then given an offer? I was waitlisted at the TTT because my stats were a bit lower than the school's requirements. I know, that's pretty bad. Will trying to transfer piss off the Dean and admissions committee at my current school? Could the dean actually refuse to sign the certifying statement? I ask because I know most law school's require the Dean's certification form in order to transfer.

I am close to the top 1% from first semester grades and trying really hard to either increase my rank or at least maintain it. I really want to transfer out to as high ranked a school as possible. What is the best possible school I could transfer to, considering my rank stays the same? Also, since my undergrad GPA and LSAT were really shitty, would this affect my ability to transfer to a high ranked school? Would top schools hold this against me? Do I have a chance at the T14? I don't even care which one, but do I have shot of getting into at least one of them?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

mvp99

Re: Transferring out of a TTT school, my ranking is 3/220 but...

Postby mvp99 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't know if this matters, but I was actually originally waitlisted before getting accepted at the TTT school that I currently attend. For that reason, feel a little guilty for wanting to get out. But with law school rankings being such a monumental issue, I feel like I have no choice. Do any TLSers have personal experience with transferring out of a law school that they were first waitlisted at, and then given an offer? I was waitlisted at the TTT because my stats were a bit lower than the school's requirements. I know, that's pretty bad. Will trying to transfer piss off the Dean and admissions committee at my current school? Could the dean actually refuse to sign the certifying statement? I ask because I know most law school's require the Dean's certification form in order to transfer.

I am close to the top 1% from first semester grades and trying really hard to either increase my rank or at least maintain it. I really want to transfer out to as high ranked a school as possible. What is the best possible school I could transfer to, considering my rank stays the same? Also, since my undergrad GPA and LSAT were really shitty, would this affect my ability to transfer to a high ranked school? Would top schools hold this against me? Do I have a chance at the T14? I don't even care which one, but do I have shot of getting into at least one of them?

sandwhich

Postby sandwhich » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:55 am

I'd say transfer if you want to. Do your research and make an informed decision based on that. Do not hesitate out of some obligation you feel towards the school. As for where you could end up: GULC for sure, and I know Berkeley has taken TTT's in the past (but you may need to squeeze up to #1 or #2). I wouldn't even say CLS or NYU is out because they take so many transfers between the two. As for the other schools, well they just don't take very many, so it's hard to say.

sandwhich

Postby sandwhich » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:59 am

Oh, and as for the dean's cert, have the registrars office fill it out (that's what i've done). I doubt the dean is the one who handles it anyway.

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:16 am

You owe absolutely nothing to your school. Get out of that mentality. They didn't take some good-natured chance on you; they wanted another bloke to pay sticker. You beat the odds -- good job; don't feel any shame when you GTFO.

timmyd

Postby timmyd » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:18 am

It really just depends, as does everything. Being ranked as high as you are, you could probably secure a "good outcome" from your current school. The outcome will, however, likely be limited to where your school is located. Unless the school is in your target market, transferring is probably the right call. However, if you are already in your target market, I doubt you gain much realistically. You actually might lose some because you will pay full way at the transfer school. If you are in a market you like, or even, arguably, could tolerate, I would leverage your rank into a higher scholarship by applying to other schools. Then you could end up with a good outcome and minimal debt.

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:23 am

timmyd wrote:It really just depends, as does everything. Being ranked as high as you are, you could probably secure a "good outcome" from your current school. The outcome will, however, likely be limited to where your school is located. Unless the school is in your target market, transferring is probably the right call. However, if you are already in your target market, I doubt you gain much realistically. You actually might lose some because you will pay full way at the transfer school. If you are in a market you like, or even, arguably, could tolerate, I would leverage your rank into a higher scholarship by applying to other schools. Then you could end up with a good outcome and minimal debt.

true but if he's already paying sticker and if he's at a true TTT, it makes sense to at least test the waters.

At the very least, OP, make them give you a fully this summer.

MarkfromWI

Postby MarkfromWI » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:27 pm

zombie mcavoy wrote:You owe absolutely nothing to your school. Get out of that mentality. They didn't take some good-natured chance on you; they wanted another bloke to pay sticker. You beat the odds -- good job; don't feel any shame when you GTFO.

This... And as far as how high you can go- I feel like any time you're in the top 5 students of a class that size, you should at least apply to HCN and whichever of the other T14 you like. H takes a ton, and I'd think that top 5/220 at least gets looked at. This is, of course, based purely on conjecture.

SquedTheScholar

Postby SquedTheScholar » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:06 pm

zombie mcavoy wrote:You owe absolutely nothing to your school. Get out of that mentality. They didn't take some good-natured chance on you; they wanted another bloke to pay sticker. You beat the odds -- good job; don't feel any shame when you GTFO.

OP, this needs to be drilled into your head and should remain drilled into your head even after you are accepted to georgetown and matriculate (you will transfer to a t14 and you will matriculate...any other decision is ludicrous).

SquedTheScholar

Postby SquedTheScholar » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I was waitlisted at the TTT because my stats were a bit lower than the school's requirements. I know, that's pretty bad.

Although you may have been waitlisted at a TTT, you can safely delete this fact from your memory. It means nothing at this point. Similarly, your failure to do well on the LSAT should be erased from your skull along with any thoughts of inferiority to other t14 students.

You have the ability to do well on a law school exam. Now give yourself the ability to get a proper job. Transfer.

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:15 pm

You should feel bad about feeling bad.

mandimeoutof10

Postby mandimeoutof10 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:00 pm

SquedTheScholar wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I was waitlisted at the TTT because my stats were a bit lower than the school's requirements. I know, that's pretty bad.

Although you may have been waitlisted at a TTT, you can safely delete this fact from your memory. It means nothing at this point. Similarly, your failure to do well on the LSAT should be erased from your skull along with any thoughts of inferiority to other t14 students.

You have the ability to do well on a law school exam. Now give yourself the ability to get a proper job. Transfer.

Great post

Return to “Transfers”