Question about starting over with grades post-transfer

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cyrilfiggis

Question about starting over with grades post-transfer

Postby cyrilfiggis » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:27 pm

So obviously when you transfer schools your previous GPA is only good so far as EIW/OCI and then you have to 'start over' with your GPA at the new school.

How important are your 2L (and 3L?) grades at your new school? Lets say you transfer to CCN and get a 2L SA through OCI (with 1L grades from your previous school), what significance do your grades at your new school have in this sense?

MarkfromWI

Re: Question about starting over with grades post-transfer

Postby MarkfromWI » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:34 pm

I would imagine they're relevant as long as you want to change jobs and stay in biglaw/anything other than small-firm practice. Lots of places are going to ask you for transcripts, and although you'd have solid 1L grades, it's going to be really tough to put an asterisk next to your shitty class rank from the institution you graduate from.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:36 pm

IMO, even in the situation above where you transfer from BL to another firm, I think the quality of your firm/work product while at your first firm will carry you further than 2L/3L grades. Also, some people say 1L grades remain the most important even in lateral hiring? I can't confirm/deny that.

FWIW I've heard most CLS transfers end up as stone scholars, which is as good as necessary IMO. That's securable w/out much effort for someone transfering to CLS with top grades.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:00 am

Stone is pretty easy to get as long as you maintain whatever habits led to your 1L success. 2L grades are not nearly as an important as 1L, and 3LOL is self-explanatory.

mandimeoutof10

Postby mandimeoutof10 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:08 am

Not to get off topic, as I can't speak to lateral biglaw hiring but don't IMO don't underestimate the pressure of doing it all over again. The first semester at my new school felt eerily similar to 1L year. I did exactly as well as I expected this year (only have 1st semester grades so far) but I felt a lot of pressure to continue and succeed academically here, especially knowing there was an increase in the level of competition.

MarkfromWI

Postby MarkfromWI » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:20 pm

mandimeoutof10 wrote:Not to get off topic, as I can't speak to lateral biglaw hiring but don't IMO don't underestimate the pressure of doing it all over again. The first semester at my new school felt eerily similar to 1L year. I did exactly as well as I expected this year (only have 1st semester grades so far) but I felt a lot of pressure to continue and succeed academically here, especially knowing there was an increase in the level of competition.

This is definitely credited. It honestly was like 1L all over again, except without the small section classmates to commiserate and bond with; it was an isolating experience, to say the least. It might be different at other places with larger transfer classes, but at my new school there were only around 10-15 of us. Throw journal responsibilities on top of gunning for respectable grades and it made for a stressful semester for sure.

cyrilfiggis

Postby cyrilfiggis » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:27 pm

Obviously this is situation specific but for you guys, was it worth it?

barkschool

Postby barkschool » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:19 am

Last edited by barkschool on Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:34 am

barkschool wrote:When after transfering (getting accepted to their new school) did everyone "drop" ties to their old school?

What ties are there to drop? I kept up with my 1L cohort, with the added bonus of being able to prune all the insufferables without social consequence.

BVest

Postby BVest » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:14 pm

barkschool wrote:When after transfering (getting accepted to their new school) did everyone "drop" ties to their old school?

Yeah, not sure what you mean by this. If you mean when do you tell your old school that you're no longer a student there, really just whenever you're 100% certain that you're transferring. I did this shortly after my acceptance by notifying my dean (and after taking care of more pressing matters such as deposit, OCI bidding at new school, securing housing, giving notice to current landlord, and hiring a mover). That said, apparently my dean's office did not pass the notice down the chain, so I later had to notify the registrar's office at the beginning of the semester when they sent me a tuition bill.

If you're talking about leaving it off my resume, that may be appropriate at some time in the future, but I'll probably keep it there since (1) I'm on the fence about at what point, if ever, it would be appropriate to remove it, and (2) the old school is also a good school and has plenty of alums in my market.

If you mean socially speaking, I haven't. I'm still friends with them and given that our graduations are on different days next month, I intend to be there for theirs.

BVest

Postby BVest » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:24 pm

cyrilfiggis wrote:So obviously when you transfer schools your previous GPA is only good so far as EIW/OCI and then you have to 'start over' with your GPA at the new school.

How important are your 2L (and 3L?) grades at your new school? Lets say you transfer to CCN and get a 2L SA through OCI (with 1L grades from your previous school), what significance do your grades at your new school have in this sense?

I wanted to apply for clerkships, so my 2L grades were extremely important, both for the obvious reason and for the fact that even if you get to know professors, they're not going to be hot on writing LORs if you're right at median in their class. (I got recs from a 2L prof, a 1L prof at my old school, and a summer employer). And if you're working big to mid-law jobs, (a) they're going to want to see your grades when you apply to lateral, and (b) they'd like to have some latin honor or other note to include on your firm bio.

One side note, the 3L slump is even more dangerous to transfers' GPAs. You've only got about 30 hours of weight in your GPA after 2L (as opposed to 60 if you hadn't transferred) so a low grade can make a bigger dent.

cyrilfiggis wrote:Obviously this is situation specific but for you guys, was it worth it?

My transfer, while up, was for personal reasons, and yes it was worth it. That said, I don't recommend transferring to everyone. It needs to either clearly improve your employability or satisfy an urgent personal need (i.e. one that can't wait until 3L when you can just go elsewhere as a visiting student). A lot of times the former doesn't happen because the grades needed to transfer are often good enough at the old school to provide the same opportunities within the student's goals without transferring. That was my situation, (but I knew that going into it.)

guyplus

Postby guyplus » Thu May 14, 2015 5:18 pm

It's a sliding scale with the firm's grade snobbishness on one axis and the severity of the transfer jump on the other axis. For a TTTT to T1 transfer like myself, 2L grades were of utmost importance. The boutique firm that offered me, which only seriously considered candidates from my new school in the top quarter, checked my grades after 2L summer to make sure they were towards the top of the class. I cut it close, falling in the top 20%. If I hadn't made a strategy suggestion as an SA that saved the firm a good amount of time and money, I might not have gotten the offer, even with my grades, because of the relaxed upper level curve.

For a T1 to GULC transfer, it might not matter near as much. But that would depend on the firm.

thisismyname

Postby thisismyname » Tue May 26, 2015 10:49 pm

cyrilfiggis wrote:Obviously this is situation specific but for you guys, was it worth it?

It was worth it for me. I jumped about 50 spots in school rank. The school I transfered to is the highest ranked in the area. I wouldn't have received my SA without transferring. My rank changed marginally from first semester 1L grades to second semester but rejections for even screening interviews 1L OCI turned into callbacks at the same firms for 2L OCI.

As to whether ranking matters.... It does for me. 1) My firm asked for my transfer grades. 2) If I ever decide to lateral, I'm assuming grades at the new school will be very relevant. That said, my grades didn't change a lot. I had a terrible first semester, landing median in the class. However, this semester I turned it around jumping to top 25%. Same gpa as old school but about a 10% drop in rank. So far I'm not experiencing any repercussions with the drop. But I guess we'll see. Good luck!

Return to “Transfers”