Importance of ugpa/address in transfer app?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Importance of ugpa/address in transfer app?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:24 pm

So my final UGPA was 2.9, and LSAC-Adjusted UGPA was even a couple tenths lower than that. But I got a 180 on the LSAT and am sitting in the top 4 or 5 students at a T14 (only one semester in, obviously), so I was wondering:

-how much does my terrible ugpa hurt/ruin my chances at HYS?
-should I address it with an addendum? no great excuse for slacking as an undergrad but could point to having a kid after graduation as a reason I decided to start taking stuff seriously. Thoughts?

Thanks !

toothbrush

Re: Importance of ugpa/address in transfer app?

Postby toothbrush » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So my final UGPA was 2.9, and LSAC-Adjusted UGPA was even a couple tenths lower than that. But I got a 180 on the LSAT and am sitting in the top 4 or 5 students at a T14 (only one semester in, obviously), so I was wondering:

-how much does my terrible ugpa hurt/ruin my chances at HYS?
-should I address it with an addendum? no great excuse for slacking as an undergrad but could point to having a kid after graduation as a reason I decided to start taking stuff seriously. Thoughts?

Thanks !

I don't think it will hurt your chances. The fact that you graduated, took time, got a 180 on the lsat and then went on to a t14 and performed extremely well speaks for itself.

If anything, use your transfer personal statement to bring up those themes. Congrats and good luck.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:42 pm

It shouldn't affect your chances for being admitted as a transfer student as the primary factors tend to be first year law school performance & law school attended. But Yale will do what Yale wants to do regardless of your law school performance.

Apply to Harvard & maybe your current school will offer scholarship money to stay if you remain in the top few percent of your current class.

MarkfromWI

Postby MarkfromWI » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:35 pm

Don't waste your time with a uGPA addendum. It really isn't necessary. The LSAT and uGPA are used to predict law school performance; once you actually have law school grades, those metrics lose much of their relevance. As one of the above posters said, it becomes much more about the school you attend and your (excellent) performance.

Spend the space you have talking about how awesome you've done in law school and not bringing extra attention to the bad marks in your application.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:53 pm

thanks for the responses guys! time to get started on a PS I guess...

mandimeoutof10

Postby mandimeoutof10 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:38 am

This is one of the few times I've seen a situation where I can say that you may have better than a coinflip shot at Yale if you repeat this semester. Out of curiosity, what range of T14 are you at currently?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:03 pm

mandimeoutof10 wrote:This is one of the few times I've seen a situation where I can say that you may have better than a coinflip shot at Yale if you repeat this semester. Out of curiosity, what range of T14 are you at currently?

Thanks, that's motivating to hear... I'm at MVPB

Return to “Transfers”