UChicago Transfer Thread 2015

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sandwhich
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:02 pm

Re: UChicago Transfer Thread 2015

Postby sandwhich » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:31 am

Traynor Brah wrote:You went under review the same day you went complete?

Everyone else under review?


Yes. Not sure what to make of it. Just hoping not to get straight dinged at this point. The more I look into it the more I want to live in Chicago.

zosluu
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:30 pm

Re: UChicago Transfer Thread 2015

Postby zosluu » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:12 pm

sandwhich wrote:
Traynor Brah wrote:You went under review the same day you went complete?

Everyone else under review?


Yes. Not sure what to make of it. Just hoping not to get straight dinged at this point. The more I look into it the more I want to live in Chicago.


I went under review today about an hour after I went complete. I don't think I have a realistic chance. I thought I would just apply because Chicago has always been my dream school.

SowhatsNU
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: UChicago Transfer Thread 2015

Postby SowhatsNU » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:26 pm

I know its rolling admissions but does anyone know (perhaps from previous years) around when they let you know for ED?

sandwhich
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:02 pm

Re: UChicago Transfer Thread 2015

Postby sandwhich » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:29 pm

SowhatsNU wrote:I know its rolling admissions but does anyone know (perhaps from previous years) around when they let you know for ED?


Because their deadlines have changed, it's been anywhere from mid to late may.

Traynor Brah
Posts: 718
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: UChicago Transfer Thread 2015

Postby Traynor Brah » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:35 pm

Not that it means anything, at all, but I just noticed that they changed the wording on their transfer application page. It used to say something like "ED applicants will hear back by the end of May." Now it says "Early Decision transfer applicants will receive a decision from the Law School in May."

UC does have a new admissions dean this year, so maybe it was a meaningful change? Exciting....

sandwhich
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:02 pm

Re: UChicago Transfer Thread 2015

Postby sandwhich » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:40 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:Not that it means anything, at all, but I just noticed that they changed the wording on their transfer application page. It used to say something like "ED applicants will hear back by the end of May." Now it says "Early Decision transfer applicants will receive a decision from the Law School in May."

UC does have a new admissions dean this year, so maybe it was a meaningful change? Exciting....


That is interesting. I doubt it's meaningless. I mean, it does take effort to go into a website and change that. I'm surprised you caught it honestly lol. And a new dean is interesting as well. I wonder if that means any change in the criteria.

Also, it seems that they're reviewing apps earlier. Since it's rolling, maybe they'll make decisions even before the deadline. They seem to get much fewer ED applications than any other school that offers it.

Traynor Brah
Posts: 718
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: UChicago Transfer Thread 2015

Postby Traynor Brah » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:55 pm

IDK last year's thread had people going under review at about the exact same dates. But the thread went pretty much completely dormant after those reports. We'll have to wait, I suppose.

SowhatsNU
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: UChicago Transfer Thread 2015

Postby SowhatsNU » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:55 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:IDK last year's thread had people going under review at about the exact same dates. But the thread went pretty much completely dormant after those reports. We'll have to wait, I suppose.


Can someone post the link to last year's thread?

Traynor Brah
Posts: 718
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: UChicago Transfer Thread 2015

Postby Traynor Brah » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:00 pm

SowhatsNU wrote:
Traynor Brah wrote:IDK last year's thread had people going under review at about the exact same dates. But the thread went pretty much completely dormant after those reports. We'll have to wait, I suppose.


Can someone post the link to last year's thread?

I mean, I would, but I'm going to save you the time and not. I promise: there is nothing valuable in last year's ED thread. Imagine this thread but worse.

sandwhich
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:02 pm

Re: UChicago Transfer Thread 2015

Postby sandwhich » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:45 am

BTW according to last year's thread the website ready the same thing, that decisions will be released "in May."

Traynor Brah
Posts: 718
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: UChicago Transfer Thread 2015

Postby Traynor Brah » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:43 pm

Bros remember to post updates when you get status date changes

sandwhich
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:02 pm

Re: UChicago Transfer Thread 2015

Postby sandwhich » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:08 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:Bros remember to post updates when you get status date changes


How many times do you pointlessly check the status checker each day? For me it's about once per hour lol

Traynor Brah
Posts: 718
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: UChicago Transfer Thread 2015

Postby Traynor Brah » Fri May 01, 2015 10:53 am

sandwhich wrote:
Traynor Brah wrote:Bros remember to post updates when you get status date changes


How many times do you pointlessly check the status checker each day? For me it's about once per hour lol

Yeah I wish they didn't have a status checker for this reason.

Traynor Brah
Posts: 718
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: UChicago Transfer Thread 2015

Postby Traynor Brah » Wed May 06, 2015 10:21 am

any action, anyone?

sandwhich
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:02 pm

Re: UChicago Transfer Thread 2015

Postby sandwhich » Wed May 06, 2015 10:24 am

Traynor Brah wrote:any action, anyone?


Nope

SowhatsNU
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: UChicago Transfer Thread 2015

Postby SowhatsNU » Wed May 06, 2015 11:00 am

Nothing by me either. Did Anybody call them to see when we'd get some activity?

Traynor Brah
Posts: 718
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: UChicago Transfer Thread 2015

Postby Traynor Brah » Wed May 06, 2015 11:03 am

Nope but if you do, please update!

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t
Posts: 270
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:00 am

Re: UChicago Transfer Thread 2015

Postby n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Wed May 06, 2015 12:31 pm

complete today.

edit: under review already.

User avatar
AT9
Posts: 1301
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: UChicago Transfer Thread 2015

Postby AT9 » Wed May 06, 2015 2:20 pm

Anyone know how much of an impact applying late (as in in the next few days and before deadline) would make for ED? Seems like a lot of people submitted right away.

sandwhich
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:02 pm

Re: UChicago Transfer Thread 2015

Postby sandwhich » Wed May 06, 2015 2:36 pm

AT9 wrote:Anyone know how much of an impact applying late (as in in the next few days and before deadline) would make for ED? Seems like a lot of people submitted right away.


All I know is that applying early isn't going to get you around not having good enough numbers. If I had to guess, the difference is probably negligible (unless they've already filled the spots) because Chicago gets so few applications for ED that they can afford to wait and do them all after the deadline. But it doesn't seem like they do wait since many have gone under review already.

Traynor Brah
Posts: 718
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: UChicago Transfer Thread 2015

Postby Traynor Brah » Wed May 06, 2015 3:23 pm

AT9 wrote:Anyone know how much of an impact applying late (as in in the next few days and before deadline) would make for ED? Seems like a lot of people submitted right away.

no idea, and nobody would seem to know. Yeah, everyone seems to go under review the last week in April, but what does that mean? We have almost no data to work with. The few people who report being accepted ED were accepted around the last week or so of May, so maybe it makes no difference.

User avatar
AT9
Posts: 1301
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: UChicago Transfer Thread 2015

Postby AT9 » Wed May 06, 2015 3:47 pm

I gotcha, that's what I thought. Just finished finals today and re-debating if I want to ED or not.

Traynor Brah
Posts: 718
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: UChicago Transfer Thread 2015

Postby Traynor Brah » Wed May 06, 2015 4:02 pm

I mean, it may be the case that ED exists to give a tiny statistical bump to folks who are willing to bind themselves to matriculating. If that's the prevailing logic behind the ED program, maybe the people who applied April 15 are incrementally more attractive than the people who apply on May 15 (maybe the people who waited until closer to the deadline going back and forth and may be more prone to trying to back out of the commitment?) I don't know.

Congrats on finishing finals, though!

My two cents: if there isn't some serious need to be in Chicago, considering how small the ED bump is supposed to be, if it exists at all (and really everything I've heard is the latter), I would err on the side of having flexibility and just submitting it early without EDing. If you have stats to be seriously considered at U of C you're going to get in at one of NYU or Columbia. ( <- that said this might not be objective advice b/c I really want to be accepted ED to UoC :D )

sandwhich
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:02 pm

Re: UChicago Transfer Thread 2015

Postby sandwhich » Wed May 06, 2015 4:08 pm

I really, really want to live in Chicago. I wish I could've found a way to express this more when I wrote my PS. Maybe I just didn't realize it then.

Traynor Brah
Posts: 718
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: UChicago Transfer Thread 2015

Postby Traynor Brah » Wed May 06, 2015 4:15 pm

I mean it's not like NU has bad employment stats for transfers, at all. I want to say that all but two or three of the transfer class there last year got biglaw SAs.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.