Transfer PS Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transfer PS

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:58 pm

My long-term SO attends a school I am applying to. Is it kosher to mention this in the PS? Is this sort of connection to a geographic area only worth mentioning if it's a school that doesn't traditionally take a large number of transfers? Thanks.

Nebby

Diamond

Re: Transfer PS

Post by Nebby » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:02 am

Yes. Your personal statement has very little impact on your chances, so you might as well tell them why you want to transfer. No harm can come form it.

sandwhich

Bronze

Post by sandwhich » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:57 am

I might avoid the term "boyfriend/girlfriend." I don't know why but it seems a little juvenile to me for a professional school personal statement. I could be mistaken, though. But I agree that capitalizing on any tie to the area whatsoever is probably a good idea. I would just be careful in the phrasing.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:59 am

Significant other.

sandwhich

Bronze

Post by sandwhich » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:01 am

Seems the same to me.

But that's just my 2 cents.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:06 am

sandwhich wrote:Seems the same to me.

99% of transfer admissions is class rank and school rank, so YMMV. I'm sure there is another, more-worthy poster deserving of your superiority-scorn.

sandwhich

Bronze

Post by sandwhich » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:09 am

Nebby wrote:

99% of transfer admissions is class rank and school rank, so YMMV. I'm sure there is another, more-worthy poster deserving of your superiority-scorn.
Lol, I needed this this morning. I wasn't sure if I was communicating my gallant superiority clearly enough! Thank you so much oh omniscient purveyor of transfer applicant knowledge! Clearly I am the one who isn't worthy!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:21 am

sandwhich wrote:
Nebby wrote:

Lol, I needed this this morning. I wasn't sure if I was communicating my gallant superiority clearly enough! Thank you so much oh omniscient purveyor of transfer applicant knowledge! Clearly I am the one who isn't worthy!
ljl, dam rite brudder

I was only half fucking with you. I see you're currently at the beginning of your transfer process, as was I a year ago. I bid you the best of luck and fingers crossed you get into great school! It is totally worth the effort.

sandwhich

Bronze

Post by sandwhich » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:26 am

Nebby wrote: ljl, dam rite brudder

I was only half fucking with you. I see you're currently at the beginning of your transfer process, as was I a year ago. I bid you the best of luck and fingers crossed you get into great school! It is totally worth the effort.
Preesh. And same to OP! Hopefully we all end up at peftigous lawl skewls.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:31 am

Thanks! I'll probably work in SO/family in the area.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks! I'll probably work in SO/family in the area.
I told GULC that two of my best friends live in DC so I want to be there (to drink brews and chill at the dog park picking up chicks) [didn't include that last part].

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:46 pm

I hate how the term "boyfriend/girlfriend" doesn't quite do the relationship justice after a certain point. To fix this, I've been trying to coin a new term: "pre-ancé" shorthand for pre-fiancé* . Try dropping that one on them in your PS. Or you could just call your SO your fiancé. They don't need to know that you're not actually engaged if that's the route you're headed.

*Shout-out to the movie Cedar Rapids for giving me the idea. Quality movie if you folks dig John C. Reilly and Ed Helms.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”