Harvard Transfer Thread 2015

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
valen

Re: Harvard Transfer Thread 2015

Postby valen » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:35 pm

This may be a dumb question, but does UG gpa or lsat matter when you transfer?

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:39 pm

Hypothetically. But everyone, at least on TLS, says transfer admissions are more of a pure numbers game (w/r/t 1L GPA & 1L school) than even 1L admissions are.

valen

Postby valen » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:50 am

zombie mcavoy wrote:Hypothetically. But everyone, at least on TLS, says transfer admissions are more of a pure numbers game (w/r/t 1L GPA & 1L school) than even 1L admissions are.

Thanks, so having a very low UG gpa isn't necessarily a deal breaker?

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:53 am

valen wrote:
zombie mcavoy wrote:Hypothetically. But everyone, at least on TLS, says transfer admissions are more of a pure numbers game (w/r/t 1L GPA & 1L school) than even 1L admissions are.

Thanks, so having a very low UG gpa isn't necessarily a deal breaker?

No.

DCNTUA

Postby DCNTUA » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:43 am

Checking in from Penn.
Last edited by DCNTUA on Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MoreCowbell

Postby MoreCowbell » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:45 pm

#1 at a TTT, 3.9 checking in.

May as well toss up a hail mary.

bfc2013

Postby bfc2013 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:46 am

Any previous transfers have advice on the decision to do the HLR write-on competition? Let's say, hypothetically, it's the same week as my current T14's write-on...

NoDayButToday

Postby NoDayButToday » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:38 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bfc2013

Postby bfc2013 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:44 pm

^ thanks NoDay. Helpful info. I perused a sample HLR write-on packet and it's much more extensive than my current school's competition.

Unrelated question: The LSAC instructions indicate acceptance notifications will begin early-June. From what I've seen in past years it has been early/mid-July. Anyone know if this is new this year, or standard language?

zippernicus

Postby zippernicus » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:48 pm

bfc2013 wrote:^ thanks NoDay. Helpful info. I perused a sample HLR write-on packet and it's much more extensive than my current school's competition.

Unrelated question: The LSAC instructions indicate acceptance notifications will begin early-June. From what I've seen in past years it has been early/mid-July. Anyone know if this is new this year, or standard language?

Definitely helpful. I was wondering about the same type of things. My first week of my SA also is the week of HLS' write-on, so its kind of sounding like trying to do that might be impossible. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!

juzam_djinn

Postby juzam_djinn » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:54 pm

zippernicus wrote:
bfc2013 wrote:^ thanks NoDay. Helpful info. I perused a sample HLR write-on packet and it's much more extensive than my current school's competition.

Definitely helpful. I was wondering about the same type of things. My first week of my SA also is the week of HLS' write-on, so its kind of sounding like trying to do that might be impossible. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I tried precisely this last year; it was not fun. If your SA is typical biglaw, then outside of the first day you will probably have a ton of after work social events during the first week that are essentially mandatory. I was at work 9-5 and then out for happy hour, dinner, etc. until 8 or 9, at which point I would put in another 4 hours or so of write-on work. It was incredibly exhausting, and considering how tired you will likely be after work and the social events, it will be very difficult to put in a strong effort on the competition.

I ended up not making LR and actually regret trying during that week. It was like attempting to get the best of both worlds and ending up suffering in both. Couldn't give my all for the LR competition, and couldn't enjoy the first week of my SA as much as I wanted to. I would strongly advise against trying, but if you want to gun for it I suggest pulling near all nighters the first two days you get the packet. IIRC it will be the weekend before your SA starts.

zippernicus

Postby zippernicus » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:33 pm

juzam_djinn wrote:
zippernicus wrote:

I tried precisely this last year; it was not fun. If your SA is typical biglaw, then outside of the first day you will probably have a ton of after work social events during the first week that are essentially mandatory. I was at work 9-5 and then out for happy hour, dinner, etc. until 8 or 9, at which point I would put in another 4 hours or so of write-on work. It was incredibly exhausting, and considering how tired you will likely be after work and the social events, it will be very difficult to put in a strong effort on the competition.

I ended up not making LR and actually regret trying during that week. It was like attempting to get the best of both worlds and ending up suffering in both. Couldn't give my all for the LR competition, and couldn't enjoy the first week of my SA as much as I wanted to. I would strongly advise against trying, but if you want to gun for it I suggest pulling near all nighters the first two days you get the packet. IIRC it will be the weekend before your SA starts.

Thanks! This was super helpful!

Longtimecoming19

Postby Longtimecoming19 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:19 pm

I just want to reemphasize how badly you should not attempt the HLR write-on competition. I submitted a transfer app to HLS and was accepted (ended up not going). At the end of May, I did their write-on competition concurrently with my old school's. At my old school, they give you a week to do it so that you can relax, plan, sleep, put it aside for periods of time, and basically have a life. At HLS, they give you a week because it takes basically 168 hours to do. It is bigger and badder than anything your current school does, and it's virtually impossible to do both, even relative to the odds of being admitted to HLS. If you get into HLS, you'll have a fantastic credential on your resume; don't torpedo your odds of making LR at your old school, without actually increasing your odds of getting onto HLR virtually at all, by doing the HLR write-on.

Ken Kesey

Postby Ken Kesey » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:39 pm

Longtimecoming19 wrote:I just want to reemphasize how badly you should not attempt the HLR write-on competition. I submitted a transfer app to HLS and was accepted (ended up not going)

Why did you not go?

Longtimecoming19

Postby Longtimecoming19 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:56 am

Ken Kesey wrote:
Longtimecoming19 wrote:I just want to reemphasize how badly you should not attempt the HLR write-on competition. I submitted a transfer app to HLS and was accepted (ended up not going)

Why did you not go?

Got into Yale.

sandwhich

Postby sandwhich » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:04 pm

Longtimecoming19 wrote:
Ken Kesey wrote:

Why did you not go?

Got into Yale.

That'd do it lol

townehall

Postby townehall » Sun May 03, 2015 12:47 am

I am definitely not doing the write on. I am at a quarter school so I'm in finals until June 12.

In any case, do you know how to find out which firms/office locations recruit at Harvard OCI/EIP? I am only interested in west coast jobs, so I imagine it would be a little bit of a smaller pool.

townehall

Postby townehall » Tue May 05, 2015 11:03 am

I still see "no active term" for Yale on LSAC. I thought it was supposed to go live on May 1? Did I misread something in the instructions?

deaclaw

Postby deaclaw » Tue May 05, 2015 6:59 pm

townehall wrote:I still see "no active term" for Yale on LSAC. I thought it was supposed to go live on May 1? Did I misread something in the instructions?

Relax, it's not up for anyone else either.

They're probably just waiting in order to artificially inflate their demand. /s

townehall

Postby townehall » Tue May 05, 2015 11:15 pm

Ken Kesey wrote:What is this Education information section?

"1. Briefly describe any written work you’ve produced (e.g., college-level or higher papers, articles, theses, etc., with multiple revisions in response to feedback) under the supervision of an academic advisor or professional editor. (maximum characters 300)"

What are some examples of what they're looking for?

Same question on this. I did not do a thesis in undergrad, so I think I'll have to just do my 1L papers from writing class.

crimson34

Postby crimson34 » Mon May 18, 2015 12:35 pm

Longtimecoming19 wrote:I just want to reemphasize how badly you should not attempt the HLR write-on competition. I submitted a transfer app to HLS and was accepted (ended up not going). At the end of May, I did their write-on competition concurrently with my old school's. At my old school, they give you a week to do it so that you can relax, plan, sleep, put it aside for periods of time, and basically have a life. At HLS, they give you a week because it takes basically 168 hours to do. It is bigger and badder than anything your current school does, and it's virtually impossible to do both, even relative to the odds of being admitted to HLS. If you get into HLS, you'll have a fantastic credential on your resume; don't torpedo your odds of making LR at your old school, without actually increasing your odds of getting onto HLR virtually at all, by doing the HLR write-on.

Does the admissions office have any way of determining whether you took part in the write on or can it help/hurt your application chances?

dagnygalt

Postby dagnygalt » Mon May 18, 2015 9:10 pm

crimson34 wrote:
Longtimecoming19 wrote:I just want to reemphasize how badly you should not attempt the HLR write-on competition. I submitted a transfer app to HLS and was accepted (ended up not going). At the end of May, I did their write-on competition concurrently with my old school's. At my old school, they give you a week to do it so that you can relax, plan, sleep, put it aside for periods of time, and basically have a life. At HLS, they give you a week because it takes basically 168 hours to do. It is bigger and badder than anything your current school does, and it's virtually impossible to do both, even relative to the odds of being admitted to HLS. If you get into HLS, you'll have a fantastic credential on your resume; don't torpedo your odds of making LR at your old school, without actually increasing your odds of getting onto HLR virtually at all, by doing the HLR write-on.

Does the admissions office have any way of determining whether you took part in the write on or can it help/hurt your application chances?

I transfered last year. I can't imagine that they would, but even if they did, I don't think it matters. Anecdotally, out of the 35 transfers last year I know at least 25 who didn't do the writing competition, and the one person I know who did didn't make it.

zor

Postby zor » Wed May 20, 2015 1:56 pm

I am also a transfer to HLS who did not do the write-on. I know in my year several people (I would say 5?) did it, regretted it, and I think one guy made it. I have only ever heard of that one person making it.

I personally chose to do the write-on for my own school because my thinking was, if I don't transfer, the LAST thing I want to do is not get on law review at my crappy school.

I will add that HLS has so many awesome journals that are not ridiculous like LR. My non-LR journal was wonderful, I met great friends, it wasn't insane or intense, and I had plenty to talk about on my interviews because of it. So don't stress too much about it.

crimson34

Postby crimson34 » Wed May 20, 2015 9:45 pm

Thanks for the input. It is good to know that it doesn't seem to have any real negative effect.

dagnygalt

Postby dagnygalt » Wed May 20, 2015 11:38 pm

zor wrote:I will add that HLS has so many awesome journals that are not ridiculous like LR.

That's a great point. Just to clarify, all of the other journals are volunteer, so you will be able to work on any non-LR journal.

Return to “Transfers”