Harvard Transfer Thread 2015

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 22054
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Harvard Transfer Thread 2015

Postby Nebby » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:28 pm

christraeger wrote:Checking in! > 4.0 from T1 (30s). My school doesn't rank but told us ~3.7 was top 10%, so not sure exactly where I am in the class. Good luck to everyone!!

You're at least in the top 5%.

cheaptilts
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:29 pm

Re: Harvard Transfer Thread 2015

Postby cheaptilts » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:41 pm

Longtimecoming19 wrote:
cheaptilts wrote:URM at lower t14, top 5%.


That's 95% of the decision, you're in solid shape.


So, I don't think I'm applying to H anymore (for a variety of reasons), but could anyone estimate my chances at Y? Specifically, as an AA male. Horrid UGPA but some w/e

lawman84
Posts: 3314
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Harvard Transfer Thread 2015

Postby lawman84 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:05 pm

cheaptilts wrote:
Longtimecoming19 wrote:
cheaptilts wrote:URM at lower t14, top 5%.


That's 95% of the decision, you're in solid shape.


So, I don't think I'm applying to H anymore (for a variety of reasons), but could anyone estimate my chances at Y? Specifically, as an AA male. Horrid UGPA but some w/e


Admittedly, I don't have the knowledge of some others in this forum on the transfer process but from all I've read, your law school's ranking, your class rank, and your GPA are pretty much everything. Your undergrad GPA counts for very little.

Being top 5% at a t14 school would give you a realistic shot at Yale.(it's difficult to tell anyone they stand a strong chance of getting into Yale because they take a relatively small transfer class and we don't know the credentials of all the people that apply)

User avatar
DCNTUA
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:19 am

Re: Harvard Transfer Thread 2015

Postby DCNTUA » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:48 pm

App went complete/ready for review today :o

Longtimecoming19
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:19 pm

Re: Harvard Transfer Thread 2015

Postby Longtimecoming19 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:59 pm

cheaptilts wrote:
Longtimecoming19 wrote:
cheaptilts wrote:URM at lower t14, top 5%.


That's 95% of the decision, you're in solid shape.


So, I don't think I'm applying to H anymore (for a variety of reasons), but could anyone estimate my chances at Y? Specifically, as an AA male. Horrid UGPA but some w/e


I would strongly urge you to reconsider your decision to not apply to H. Your odds of Y are bad. This isn't because you are not an impressive candidate, but because Y rejects boatloads of candidates like you every year. Y is just really, really hard to get into. May I ask why you aren't applying to H? If it has anything to do with thinking that you're likely to get into Y, you are making a huge mistake.

lawman84
Posts: 3314
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Harvard Transfer Thread 2015

Postby lawman84 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:33 pm

Longtimecoming19 wrote:
cheaptilts wrote:
Longtimecoming19 wrote:
cheaptilts wrote:URM at lower t14, top 5%.


That's 95% of the decision, you're in solid shape.


So, I don't think I'm applying to H anymore (for a variety of reasons), but could anyone estimate my chances at Y? Specifically, as an AA male. Horrid UGPA but some w/e


I would strongly urge you to reconsider your decision to not apply to H. Your odds of Y are bad. This isn't because you are not an impressive candidate, but because Y rejects boatloads of candidates like you every year. Y is just really, really hard to get into. May I ask why you aren't applying to H? If it has anything to do with thinking that you're likely to get into Y, you are making a huge mistake.


It's more or less too late now.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Harvard Transfer Thread 2015

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:41 am

Longtimecoming19 wrote:
cheaptilts wrote:
Longtimecoming19 wrote:
cheaptilts wrote:URM at lower t14, top 5%.


That's 95% of the decision, you're in solid shape.


So, I don't think I'm applying to H anymore (for a variety of reasons), but could anyone estimate my chances at Y? Specifically, as an AA male. Horrid UGPA but some w/e


I would strongly urge you to reconsider your decision to not apply to H. Your odds of Y are bad. This isn't because you are not an impressive candidate, but because Y rejects boatloads of candidates like you every year. Y is just really, really hard to get into. May I ask why you aren't applying to H? If it has anything to do with thinking that you're likely to get into Y, you are making a huge mistake.


Probably not worth it to transfer from top of class at T14 to Harvard, could be worth it to Yale for certain goals? Makes sense to me

If you want to transfer though than yea it doesn't sense to just apply to Yale since they admit so, so few transfers each year (like less than fifteen?)

sciomachist
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:45 pm

Re: Harvard Transfer Thread 2015

Postby sciomachist » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:37 pm

.
Last edited by sciomachist on Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

christraeger
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:05 am

Re: Harvard Transfer Thread 2015

Postby christraeger » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:26 pm

More of a general question but since H is the only school I've applied to so far I thought I'd post it here. Do schools you're applying to transfer to care if you were offered TA positions for the next year? I got asked to be a TA today and I wasn't sure if I should update them or if they wouldn't care at all since, if I were to be accepted, obviously I wouldn't end up even being a TA. I already agreed to be a TA for another class next fall and I didn't include that in my application since I assumed they didn't care, but now that it's two classes I was thinking maybe it'd boost my application a tiny bit? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Ken Kesey
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:06 am

Re: Harvard Transfer Thread 2015

Postby Ken Kesey » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:31 pm

christraeger wrote:More of a general question but since H is the only school I've applied to so far I thought I'd post it here. Do schools you're applying to transfer to care if you were offered TA positions for the next year? I got asked to be a TA today and I wasn't sure if I should update them or if they wouldn't care at all since, if I were to be accepted, obviously I wouldn't end up even being a TA. I already agreed to be a TA for another class next fall and I didn't include that in my application since I assumed they didn't care, but now that it's two classes I was thinking maybe it'd boost my application a tiny bit? Any thoughts would be appreciated!


You really think being a TA is the thing that could possibly set you over the edge for admittance? Too many people apply for too few slots for them to give two shits about that.

Also why would you agree to TA if you are planning on transferring? That seems pretty unethical.

Your grades should be good enough.

christraeger
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:05 am

Re: Harvard Transfer Thread 2015

Postby christraeger » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:05 pm

Ken Kesey wrote:
christraeger wrote:More of a general question but since H is the only school I've applied to so far I thought I'd post it here. Do schools you're applying to transfer to care if you were offered TA positions for the next year? I got asked to be a TA today and I wasn't sure if I should update them or if they wouldn't care at all since, if I were to be accepted, obviously I wouldn't end up even being a TA. I already agreed to be a TA for another class next fall and I didn't include that in my application since I assumed they didn't care, but now that it's two classes I was thinking maybe it'd boost my application a tiny bit? Any thoughts would be appreciated!


You really think being a TA is the thing that could possibly set you over the edge for admittance? Too many people apply for too few slots for them to give two shits about that.

Also why would you agree to TA if you are planning on transferring? That seems pretty unethical.

Your grades should be good enough.


Whoa--not sure why my post seemed to hit a nerve here. The whole reason I was asking was because I wasn't sure if they would care. I also asked if it would boost my application "a tiny bit," not whether it would set me over the edge. But point taken--I won't mention it.

The professor who I agreed to be a TA for is aware that I'm applying to transfer and wrote me my letter of recommendation.

lawman84
Posts: 3314
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Harvard Transfer Thread 2015

Postby lawman84 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:09 pm

I doubt it would make a difference. If you have very little on your resume...might be worth mentioning...but even then, it's an offer for next semester so I think, ultimately, it's not going to mean anything. It would be like telling them you graded onto law review at your old school.

They already know you did well in that class because they have your transcript.

christraeger
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:05 am

Re: Harvard Transfer Thread 2015

Postby christraeger » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:11 pm

lawman84 wrote:I doubt it would make a difference. If you have very little on your resume...might be worth mentioning...but even then, it's an offer for next semester so I think, ultimately, it's not going to mean anything. It would be like telling them you graded onto law review at your old school.

They already know you did well in that class because they have your transcript.


That's what I was thinking, too (and why I didn't mention it when I initially applied). Thanks!

Traynor Brah
Posts: 718
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: Harvard Transfer Thread 2015

Postby Traynor Brah » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:13 pm

christraeger wrote:
Ken Kesey wrote:
christraeger wrote:More of a general question but since H is the only school I've applied to so far I thought I'd post it here. Do schools you're applying to transfer to care if you were offered TA positions for the next year? I got asked to be a TA today and I wasn't sure if I should update them or if they wouldn't care at all since, if I were to be accepted, obviously I wouldn't end up even being a TA. I already agreed to be a TA for another class next fall and I didn't include that in my application since I assumed they didn't care, but now that it's two classes I was thinking maybe it'd boost my application a tiny bit? Any thoughts would be appreciated!


You really think being a TA is the thing that could possibly set you over the edge for admittance? Too many people apply for too few slots for them to give two shits about that.

Also why would you agree to TA if you are planning on transferring? That seems pretty unethical.

Your grades should be good enough.


Whoa--not sure why my post seemed to hit a nerve here. The whole reason I was asking was because I wasn't sure if they would care. I also asked if it would boost my application "a tiny bit," not whether it would set me over the edge. But point taken--I won't mention it.

If I were an adcomm and somebody wasted my assistant's time with an update as insignificant as this, I would be much more inclined to deny them.

wafflehausenberg
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:25 pm

Re: Harvard Transfer Thread 2015

Postby wafflehausenberg » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:30 pm

Checking in. UT/Vandy/UCLA/USC, ~3.95, not exactly sure what percentile since my school doesn't provide rankings. Good luck to everyone.

lawstudent23
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:53 pm

Re: Harvard Transfer Thread 2015

Postby lawstudent23 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:04 pm

Any idea what we're looking at for admission decisions timeline?

User avatar
DCNTUA
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:19 am

Re: Harvard Transfer Thread 2015

Postby DCNTUA » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:37 am

lawstudent23 wrote:Any idea what we're looking at for admission decisions timeline?


That past two years the first acceptances have come in on the Monday after the 4th of July.

townehall
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 1:30 am

Re: Harvard Transfer Thread 2015

Postby townehall » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:38 pm

Complete and "Ready for Review" as of 6/10

I still don't have spring grades though

wafflehausenberg
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:25 pm

Re: Harvard Transfer Thread 2015

Postby wafflehausenberg » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:38 pm

Ready for review 6/23!

felinafelina
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:02 pm

Re: Harvard Transfer Thread 2015

Postby felinafelina » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:32 pm

Huge hail mary here - 3.69, anywhere from top 10-15%, T20. Still waiting on certification from my undergrad- apparently they signed the form and mailed it without actually filling it out. :| Good luck to everyone.

User avatar
DCNTUA
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:19 am

Re: Harvard Transfer Thread 2015

Postby DCNTUA » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:14 pm

Is everyone "ready for review" at this point?

lawman84
Posts: 3314
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Harvard Transfer Thread 2015

Postby lawman84 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:26 pm

DCNTUA wrote:Is everyone "ready for review" at this point?


Yep. Although, my rank hasn't come out yet.

User avatar
DCNTUA
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:19 am

Re: Harvard Transfer Thread 2015

Postby DCNTUA » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:11 am

It's weird to think that the first acceptances may only be a week away :o

felinafelina
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:02 pm

Re: Harvard Transfer Thread 2015

Postby felinafelina » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:47 am

DCNTUA wrote:Is everyone "ready for review" at this point?


No, my damn school messed up my forms. Hope everyone else hears back soon though. :?

Longtimecoming19
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:19 pm

Re: Harvard Transfer Thread 2015

Postby Longtimecoming19 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:50 pm

DCNTUA wrote:It's weird to think that the first acceptances may only be a week away :o


If last year is any indication, expect a decision next Monday.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.