When should I ask for a LOR?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

When should I ask for a LOR?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:23 pm

Is it a bad idea to ask for one from a professor I have this term before I get any grades?

Nebby

Re: When should I ask for a LOR?

Postby Nebby » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:10 pm

There's no harm in asking. Though, I waited until I got my grade to ask, because I wanted that reassurance that I: (1) got an A; (2) the professor would know that I'm not an idiot because I got an A.

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it a bad idea to ask for one from a professor I have this term before I get any grades?

I asked before I took my exam. You want a professor that knows you personally, and knows why you want to go to the new school. If you screw up on the final you could always ask someone else.

jphiggo

Postby jphiggo » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:47 pm

I asked first semester professors in late February/early March. I would recommend asking professors sooner, rather than later. They are busy. The quickest turnaround that I had on a letter was a week, and one I am still waiting on. So, don't wait until the last minute would be the advice I have for you.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:01 pm

If you know each other well, then ask now. It's unlikely that a prof. would agree to write a LOR if it wasn't going to be positive.

Return to “Transfers”