Advice on asking for LORs (and not making it awkward?) Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Advice on asking for LORs (and not making it awkward?)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:22 pm

Does anybody have any advice on asking for transfer LORs? I ended up doing well in a professor's class, and he seems receptive to the idea of being a reference/writing a LOR for jobs/clerkship purposes.

Employment opportunities don't really factor into this decision (they don't change much by transferring). I want to transfer largely for geography reasons, but "prestige" definitely factors into the equation. With that being said, the professor has been here a while and is an alumni of the school, so I'm afraid that giving off a sense that I'm "transferring up" may be offensive.

I'm going to talk with him early next week. How should I frame my request as to minimize the awkwardness? Am I just overthinking it?

zosluu

New

Re: Advice on asking for LORs (and not making it awkward?)

Post by zosluu » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:36 pm

It was awkward as hell for me. My professor asked me about the "prestige" thing. Even worse, he asked what the school could do to keep me. I just said I'm trying to "assess my options" and I wasn't going to make any quick decisions.

butlerraider1

Bronze

Post by butlerraider1 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:41 pm

PM me if you want. I think what I did worked well.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:46 pm

I told my recommender that I knew I had the grades to transfer, that my career goals would be objectively better suited at a different school. Also that really liked their class and the perspective that they brought to the issues.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:46 pm

Honestly I think you're overthinking it. The professor isn't going to be offended by the thought of you transferring. Just briefly explain your reasoning and they should generally be happy to help, at least IME.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”